Southeast Texas 710 goon!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_20140416_194024_zps28effb85.jpg

Well she's back on the ground and driving.  she's stopping quite well with new calipers. She's not bouncing all over the road because new shocks front and back.  

Still has the unusual gangster lean even though I was very careful to set the front exactly the same on both sides.  One day I'll figure out what's up with that and probably slap myself in the forehead as usual. Until then, I've made a list of what I need before Nismo Fiesta. 

IMG_20140416_195937_zpsb5350068.jpg

Some things are more important than others.  I'm going out of town this weekend, so I won't get to work on it then.  Everything will have to be done after work on the 4 work days I have left between now and the trip.  We'll just have to see what this list looks like on the 25th.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, the goon made the trip to San Marcos.

IMG_20140426_165352_zps78e0efcd.jpg

With stickers thanks to Tristin and Garage Bluebird!  No thanks to the USPS who lost the first set and Tristin had to last minute overnight some more.

IMG_20140426_142524_zps70cf79b0.jpg

IMG_20140426_142507_zps6fc01120.jpg

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Kirbyville,+TX&daddr=San+Marcos,+TX&hl=en&sll=31.168934,-100.076842&sspn=11.624226,14.128418&geocode=FYLX0wEdt09n-invpEl5qXo5hjE8EhtkKgw6Ug%3BFYv7xwEdbogp-ilZRkE0KqdchjEnMY5TbDM6Lw&oq=San+m&mra=ls&t=m&z=7

It was a hell of a trip.  I participated in the 115ish mile fun run also.  My group got kinda lost, so I think ours was more in the 130mi range.  At the end of our loop through the hill country we did a parade lap around the Harris Hill race track.

Hopefully someone got video of the goon on the track.  I know the staff there thought it was great.  I coulda made a better time if not for a slow ass Corvette in my way.

Next step,  repair all of the damage I did driving it this weekend.  The transmission and diff need a drink, they're both growling at me.  I got wiring issues out the wazoo.  Then on to beautification for next year's Nismo Fiesta.  I'm planning to take the 620 next time, but the goon has a fan base now, and they were demanding that I bring it back next year so they can get before and after shots.

• Like 2

on to beautification for next year's Nismo Fiesta.  I'm planning to take the 620 next time, but the goon has a fan base now, and they were demanding that I bring it back next year so they can get before and after shots.

If it happens again next year, we will definitely have some cars there.   :thumbup:

Sorry we missed it this year.   :blush:

I didn't get a good count, but I'd say 25 or so. I could be way off. Mostly Zs, but the was one two door 510, an awesome 610 coupe, a roadster who is a member here, and a 79 210 2 door sedan for non z datsuns.

Mike, one of the organizers, had his 620 there, and a 720 won best small truck. I missed the awards because I had to get home before dark. The goons wiring started acting up on the last day.

I talked to Miles quite a bit about getting more of ratsun there next year. He loves the site, and several people mentioned how they'd like to see more "other datsuns."

There will definitely be a next year BTW.

• Like 2

I also met Mad Mike Taylor and got to talk with him and his wife quite a bit. I got him to sign a ratsun card just before they left. They're really awesome people.

IMG_20140429_220534_zpsbg4z6hsh.jpg

It's shaky, but it's something.

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Only minor updates at the moment. As you might have guessed by now, I'm doing some cosmetic updates on the ol goon.

I got some headlight housings and converted it to h4s. Thanks to Dapper Lighting, the headlight wiring harness is no longer a problem.

Now I'm working on some new shoes. I picked up the Westerns in the above photo ffor a pretty good price and set about spiffing them up.

A little sandpaper and some polish brightened up the lips.

NCM_0253_zps3yvduitc.jpg

NCM_0250_zpsrbdfc4dp.jpg

My friend Todd at the body shop next to my shop sprayed some leftover Chevy cobalt blue on the centers.

NCM_0287_zpssiab0ubi.jpg

I bought some billet spikes from eBay to replace the fake rivets.

NCM_0289_zpsb0xwltqr.jpg

Now I'm debating putting those through a tumbler to shine them up.

I plan to let the wheels sit for a month or so to make sure the paint cures completely before I mount them. Also not sure what I'll do about center caps.

More to come...

• Like 3

Thanks, I went to buy them thinking they were enkei ek32s. I had a set in a Chevy lug pattern and was gonna do some rebarreling to make a nice staggered set. Got there and found out they were Western so I talked down the price til it was worth it to fix them up.

They're 14x6 so perfect for the front, but less aggressive than I wanted for the back. I'll run them for now and maybe trade up one day.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Got the wheels mounted today. 2 months curing and the paint still cracked around the lug nuts. Oh well, it's not too noticeable.

NCM_0385_zpshims6oit.jpg

Oddly, it looks taller now. I'm gonna drop it another inch in the back and as far as I can in the front without rubbing. We'll see how it looks then.

Overall though, I'm pleased.

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

This car does some strange things when I try to lower it. It has leveled out side to side over time. Now it's just got a little rake.

NCM_0398_zpsck7awfih.jpg

Work is slow, so I decided to address the issue with some new blocks. I removed the old blocks and some pieces that the PO had in there. I'm not sure exactly what they were for, but it seemed kinda Jerry rigged with a piece of tubing holding them in line.

NCM_0404_zps3a9groxq.jpg

That's about 1 5/8" of material including the 1" blocks that I had in there. I made some 2.5" blocks.

NCM_0402_zpsqwr9dnha.jpg

With those installed, I managed to lower the rear about 1/8". Now the ride is much bouncier and I think the front may have lifted some.

f71beaed2b2a0d18a081fe28448c68ec43cc052c

The shocks should have 5"+ of travel left according to my measurement, and there are no bump stops.

• Like 1