More setbacks with a happy ending

Eomund

After getting my timing chain cover this weekend, I was starting to bolt the engine together, and the most left hand bolt for the water pump snapped off in the block. I thank God, Zeus, Odin, The Great Spirit and any other diety I left out that the easy out worked. After a closer inspection, I found that it had corosion in it that caused it to snap. I then inspected the other 2 that are a part of the water pump as well and saw they were just as bad.

Long story short, I just ordered new bolts for the sucker so I won't have to worry about this issue later on. It's a bit of a setback, but at least that's all it was.

Also to note, http://www.carpartsmanual.com/ is my favorite website right now. Seriously, you can find any part number for a datsun you need there just about. I love it.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, if your bolts are really bad use a wire wheel on them man.  After I wire wheel the bolts (if bad), i use my compressor and blow out the bolt holes, use a small round wire brush on a dremel if i have to.... Using antisease is good... On head bolts, i get a little oil on my finger and run it around the threads of the head bolts.  They go in smooth, never had issues with that.

This is a bolt I pulled out of an L16, IIRC head bolt

IMAG0036_zps862fcbad.jpg

Yeah, if your bolts are really bad use a wire wheel on them man.  After I wire wheel the bolts (if bad), i use my compressor and blow out the bolt holes, use a small round wire brush on a dremel if i have to.... Using antisease is good... On head bolts, i get a little oil on my finger and run it around the threads of the head bolts.  They go in smooth, never had issues with that.

This is a bolt I pulled out of an L16, IIRC head bolt

IMAG0036_zps862fcbad.jpg

That probably came from the one between the 2 and 3 cylinder.

Definitely tap all the holes to clean then use compressed air to clear the loose debris. I also use a die to clean the bolt threads.

the holes are in brand new shape (rebuilt motor and they're all clean and purdy) and I did actually wire wheel them. I just didn't inspect them super closely so I didn't realize how bad the damage was. It actually threaded really easy too. The bolts all have corrosion where the threads meet the shaft. I've never seen one quite this corroded, granted This is the oldest water cooled vehicle I've worked on by 20 years give or take.