#41 Telkwa

Telkwa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Cars:1986 720-D Nissan

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:48 AM

Hey, thanks!  When I post Version 2.0 of this how-to it'd be great to add some directions for smartphones.

• VTR likes this

#42 The Taterhead

The Taterhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Cars:'71 510 (mine),'72 510 (my sons), 97 Pathfinder currently

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

You're welcome sir, no problem. There may be an easier way but I don't know it & this way always works for me.
Roads? Where we're goin' we don't need roads!

#43 Telkwa

Telkwa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

OK, this evening I want to work on scaling vs. compression some more. 

First off, there are several file structures or formats that support images.  .jpg, .bmp, .png, .gif and so on.  .jpg is by far the most popular.  Most digital cameras record images in the .jpg format.  .jpg is a "lossy" format, which means that it can take a picture and jettison some of the original data.  For instance, the "HI" setting on our camera tells it to keep more of the original data than the "NORMAL" setting.  In a nutshell, the .jpg algorithm looks for colors that are similar and changes them to one color.  It's difficult to tell where similar colors were combined if .jpg is being used lightly.  It's easy to see where similar colors were stripped out and given one value when .jpg is being used heavily.  The act of stripping data from an image is called compression.

I use GIMP for photo editing.  Think of it as an open-source version of Photoshop.  GIMP, like most image editing software, can use the .jpg algorithm to modify an image.  GIMP provides a sliding scale of 1 to 100.  1 is the most compression, 100 is the least.  So instead of two choices on our camera, I have a hundred choices. 

Here's the original photo, taken with our Olympus SP-500UZ at 1024 X 768 "HI"

P4070028-4.jpg

I took the original image, opened it in GIMP, and ran .jpg all the way down to 1, then saved the new image.  Here's the result...

P4070028-6.jpg

You can see the .jpg algorithm at work, trying to toss out similar data yet still present an image that has some resemblance to the original.  Notice how 165kB of data went to 13.  But the picture's size is the same.  That's compression.

I opened the original image again in GIMP.  GIMP has a scaling tool.  I scaled the image down to 102 X 77 pixels.  Here's the result

P4070028-2.jpg

This image is literally 102 pixels on the long side by 77 pixels on the short side.  Yet the image holds 14.3kB of data, which is more than the severely compressed image above!  That's scaling.

#44 Telkwa

Telkwa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:37 AM

Don't mind me, just trying to make sure I've got this right.

METHOD #1: GET THE "Direct" HYPERLINK

1) Open Photobucket Library, left-click on picture. 

2) New window comes up with just the picture that was left-clicked. 

3) Your hyperlinks will appear to the right.  Left-click inside the window next to "Direct" to save the hyperlink to your clipboard.

pb-10.jpg

NOTE: I went into my Photobucket settings and turned off all linking tools except Direct Link.  That's why you see only the Direct hyperlink tool in this screenshot.  Take a look underneath the red oval.  There's a link that takes you to your settings, where you can tweak your hyperlinks.  I'll go back and turn them all on, as you'll see in the next screenshots.

METHOD #2: ANOTHER WAY TO GET THE "Direct" HYPERLINK

1) Move your cursor over the image.  The "gear" icon appears.

2) Left-click on the gear.

3) Left-click on "Share..."

pb-14.jpg

4) You'll get a new window.  Left-click on "Links"

pb-12.jpg

5) All of your hyperlink tools appear.  Left-click on the actual hyperlink underneath the word "Direct" and you'll get the yellow flash, and/or a yellow "Copied" will appear for a moment.

pb-13.jpg

METHOD #3: SAME AS ABOVE BUT QUICKER (thanks, wayno!)

1) Back to your Library. 

2) Left-click on the image you want.  When you get the new window look for the "chain" icon above the picture.

pb-16.jpg

3) Left-click on that.  You'll get the list of hyperlink tools, just like method #2 above, but fewer steps.

FOURTH METHOD TO GET THE "Direct" HYPERLINK

I run into people fairly often who have used computers for years and are still not acquainted with that other button on the mouse.  You know, the one on the right.  For those of you who do know about the other button, I shouldn't have to go into excruciating detail...

pb-15.jpg

To me, the simplest method is to simply right-click on the "Direct" hyperlink, then click Copy.  Sometimes the hyperlink lights up when I go straight to it, then the next time it seems like I have to left-click on the word "Direct" first.  This sort of thing doesn't trouble me.  I know the link can be copied, and if I gotta wiggle the mouse around and make an extra click or two, who cares? 

OK, that's it for now.  4 ways to grab the Direct Link.  Then once you're back to Ratsun, place your cursor where you want the image, mouse up to the Image Tool, and paste in the Direct hyperlink.

#45 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,799 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

Your right, photolame changed it a couple days ago, now it doesn't work to right click on the photo to get the IMG code either.

I need simple, the links you are using require you to click on tools above this reply, I don't use any of these tools except the smiley/sad face options.

I left click on the photo I want now, a new screen opens with a larger image, just above the images, several boxes appear, they are a blue box with an "F", a little bird, a red box with a "P", a blue box with a "T", a red box with a "G+", then an envelope, and then a little chain link, that is what I want, I left click on it, the IMG code I want appears, I left click on it, and it flashes yellow, then I go to my post/reply and paste it there, unfortunately  this doesn't show an image in the reply anymore, just the code.

I went into my settings a while back and set it so only the IMG codes would appear, originally all the different codes appeared.

This changing things that work fine seems to be a trend these days.

#46 Telkwa

Telkwa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

wayno, thanks for the input.  I hadn't paid any attention to those icons that you pointed out.  Clicking on the icon that looks like a chain takes me to the list of hyperlinks in one step.  That's quicker than the 3 step process I described as the second method in post #44.  I'll add your method and scratch mine.

EDIT: I ended up leaving my laborious method and including yours.  Except that I'm using Direct rather than IMG.

#47 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• 12,799 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

wayno, thanks for the input.  I hadn't paid any attention to those icons that you pointed out.  Clicking on the icon that looks like a chain takes me to the list of hyperlinks in one step.  That's quicker than the 3 step process I described as the second method in post #44.  I'll add your method and scratch mine.

That's great right now, but it might not work next week. :lol:

#48 Telkwa

Telkwa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:54 AM

More experimenting.  I'm using my preferred method to get to hyperlinks, which is right-clicking from the Library, then left-clicking on hyperlink.  As described in method #4, post #44.  The method doesn't matter so much in this case.  I just want to compare using the Direct hyperlink vs. the IMG hyperlink.

USING DIRECT HYPERLINK

1) In Photobucket, go to Library.

2) Right click on Direct, left-click on the actual hyperlink, copy.

3) Back to Ratsun, place the cursor where you want the image to show up, click on Image Tool, paste the Direct hyperlink, click OK.

bosozuko04.jpg

The image shows up in the post.  Click the Enter key to move cursor down a space and I'm ready to go.

USING THE IMG HYPERLINK INSTEAD

1) Back to Photobucket Library.

2) Right click on IMG, left click on the hyperlink.

3) Back to Ratsun post.  Paste the hyperlink directly into the body of the post.  Do not use either the "Link" or "Image" tools that appear in the Ratsun toolbar.

bosozuko04.jpg

OK, I can see the hyperlink text but not the picture. 

Now it's down to personal preferences.  Some folks prefer fewer steps.  Others don't care about clicking a few more times.  I'm in the second camp.  I want to see the image before posting.  Although it isn't there now, I'm pretty sure the image will appear after I hit the "Post" button and send this in to Ratsun.  But that's because I've been messing with this for a few weeks.  For the newbie, the IMG method involves a leap of faith.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copy/paste the Direct hyperlink from Photobucket, then use the Image Tool in the Ratsun toolbar to properly insert the hyperlink into the post.

Or:

Copy/paste the IMG hyperlink from Photobucket, then paste it directly into the body of your post.

To me, those are the two paths to success.  There are other ways, but I'm fairly confident we've narrowed this down to the two simplest.

#49 fritzdixxon

fritzdixxon

• PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Cars:78 "510" wagon 4dr and 2dr sedans

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:38 PM

Anyone have tips on how to add from a phone?

#50 fritzdixxon

fritzdixxon

• PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:40 PM

Also I am using the Picasa site as it links easy to the google based gmail shizz android makes you have.

#51 fritzdixxon

fritzdixxon

• PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:09 PM

Never mind I think I have it figured.

#52 Datsun/Nissan finatic

Datsun/Nissan finatic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Cars:89'240s/x 78 620 camper conv.

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:00 AM

ok im not seeing it where or how do I open photobucket I cant find it

#53 bananahamuck

bananahamuck

S&S chicken/rice

• 13,253 posts
  • Cars:It's a fucking anti-aircraft gun, Vincent.

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:14 AM

Have you tried typing Photobucket  into your browser?

http://photobucket.com/

So somehow while i was driving back from Eaglerock swap meet i somehow caused YOU to post this,,,, do really think members on this site are that stupid to believe i caused it??

http://community.rat...un-for-a-while/

Yeah i guess you do,,

BTW ,,,, the first person to call you a pussy,,,, ya might wanna check out his ethnicity ,, cuz i don't think it's what you think it is there snowflakeboy

..........................I shall call it, narclops.

#54 Datsun/Nissan finatic

Datsun/Nissan finatic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Cars:89'240s/x 78 620 camper conv.

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:20 AM

ok I have done the photo bucket I signed up and made an album and when I click the link only in albums there is no url code. only if I choose one photo do I get the chance then when I paste it on a thread nothing happens it just freezes on the box that pops up when you want to link

#55 tr8er

tr8er

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,781 posts
  • Cars:'71 PL510; 01 Frontier 4X4

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:08 PM

Just paste the link in the text field.  Don't click the link button.  

#56 SHORTDOG

SHORTDOG

Hall Monitor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Cars:85 720 ST SHORTBED

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:33 PM

I try to post the link from photobucket in the text body and it will not paste.....why?? I use to be able to paste it real easy but not no more.

"Be yourself, Everyone else is Taken!"

#57 ]2eDeYe

]2eDeYe

Bastard!

• User Administrator
  • 17,747 posts
  • Cars:78 620 KC, 77 620 KC, 72 CJ5, 04 G35 coupe mmmm

Posted 30 October 2014 - 06:18 AM

Did you upgrade Internet Explorer? I know the latest version doesn't work with the forum software for some reason. I've had problems with it elsewhere as well. 

Smokin' Joe's House of Datto's

gJv38AY.jpg
Member- *Japanese Trucking Association*

**DATSUN FAQ** ~ If ya know it, post it ~ If ya don't know it, learn it ~

ratsun.net rising sun stickers                     ratsun business cards order thread

620 KA24 Motor Mount Swap Brackets

1977 620 KingCab Deluxe KA24DE Swap - Refresh and cleanup
1978 620 kingcab 4x4 - KA24E SAS w/Dana 44 front and Toyota rear

1967 RL411 Station Wagon

Whenever I think that I'm out of my mind for putting this much time and money into an old Datsun, all I have to do is look some of your threads to know that I'm not nearly as whack as you are.

You're going to skin a few knuckles, stand up too fast and bump your head, hunt around the floor for the nuts and bolts you dropped, invent a few new cuss words and when you're finished you'll say "That wasn't so hard after all!"

#58 SHORTDOG

SHORTDOG

Hall Monitor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:29 AM

Well now this is just FRUSTRATING!! I have updated the Internet explorer and still nothing, I have also tried using the image icon on Ratsun and it asks for the URL code and when I paste it in the box, It won't let me close out the window so I have to close Ratsun altogether and log back on all over again... This really sucks!

#59 SHORTDOG

SHORTDOG

Hall Monitor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:38 AM

Okay, well I feel a little better, I was starting to think that I was doing something wrong and I was feeling like an idiot because I know it is so easy to post pics. What I did was.... I tried posting pics on another forum and did it with no problems at all, so it has to be the Ratsun website that is cuasing this problem......Now, can anyone tell me what needs to be done to fix this?   Thanks.

#60 ]2eDeYe

]2eDeYe

Bastard!

• User Administrator
  • 17,747 posts
  • Cars:78 620 KC, 77 620 KC, 72 CJ5, 04 G35 coupe mmmm

Posted 07 November 2014 - 11:27 AM

You misread my post, you should have downgraded to IE 9  :lol: 

Try using chrome or firefox, they work no problem.

When they upgraded IE 10 they fucked up a lot of forum coding and the forum software has to be updated. We can update the forums, but we try to limit that as it always seem to cause heartache. Not to mention that I am sure microsoft will screw up everything again on IE12. Their attitude seems to be, if it works fine we should fuck with it til it doesn't and then make everyone change there software to fix their screwup. 

Smokin' Joe's House of Datto's

gJv38AY.jpg
Member- *Japanese Trucking Association*

**DATSUN FAQ** ~ If ya know it, post it ~ If ya don't know it, learn it ~

ratsun.net rising sun stickers                     ratsun business cards order thread

620 KA24 Motor Mount Swap Brackets

1977 620 KingCab Deluxe KA24DE Swap - Refresh and cleanup
1978 620 kingcab 4x4 - KA24E SAS w/Dana 44 front and Toyota rear

1967 RL411 Station Wagon

Whenever I think that I'm out of my mind for putting this much time and money into an old Datsun, all I have to do is look some of your threads to know that I'm not nearly as whack as you are.

You're going to skin a few knuckles, stand up too fast and bump your head, hunt around the floor for the nuts and bolts you dropped, invent a few new cuss words and when you're finished you'll say "That wasn't so hard after all!"