Bluey

I know, I know, I've been slacking on my threads.....  I'm going to try and start posting more, updating old threads ect.  

So here is a new project to add to my list.  We got if from Josh K up north.  It was cool hanging out again and checking out his project.  That car has came leaps and bounds since Frank and I saved it from the tweeker!  We also got some disk brake brackets :)

For now I'm just going to tinker on her in my free time.  Nothing major just try and get the rear end damage straightened out and drivable.  As of now I gotta finish up my VW bus paint job and rust repair, I think I will start a thread for that project soon.  I mainly like pictures so here are a few.  

IMG_2956.jpg

IMG_2957.jpg

IMG_2959.jpg

IMG_2960.jpg

Thanks Josh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I can't wait till we get to go for a ride in your car!  

• Like 2
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Thats a good idea :)

Over the last couple weeks I've been tinkering on Bluey, trying to get her road worthy.

The first day Frank and I towed it home we got her started.  I sorted the wires next to the coil and Frank looked over the carb, cap, plugs and firing order.  A previous owner installed a new/rebuilt head .  They never got it fired.  Frank noticed that in the cap the center contact was missing!  I found a good one in my collection of parts we slapped it on and it fired up!  Must have been younger guys the exhaust is loud!!!  Over all the exhaust noise I could hear massive head noise so the next day in my investigations I found this. 

IMG_3010.jpg

IMG_3011.jpg

IMG_3012.jpg

I'm not sure if it was due to us firing it after sitting for 7 plus years and the valves were sticking or if they had been off for a while.   After taking care of that it sounds really good.  Next on the list was the wiring!  In all my engine bay harnesses I've never worked with one that was so oily!!!!!!  Must have been pre head rebuild.  After removing the tape I decided to dig out a better harness and use it instead.  Someone along the line of owners they thought it would be a good idea to extend the ground wire, using white!!!!  Yeah so you can imagine what happened later on.....  Massive meltage!

HHMMM what else, O I swapped in a KA alternator.  Basically a bolt in like the ZX.   I wish I would have taken a picture off all the wires I removed.  I think I was the first dude in that cars life to remove wires.  There was millions going every direction.  Seemed as if every the stereo was swapped instead of using the old wires they added new ones.  

I had planned on getting my buddies old wagon for parts so the progress was somewhat slow going up till that point.  I picked up the goon last weekend and spent a few days swapping parts over.  My goals was to drive it to Trevor's 510 day BBQ.  Luckily my boss likes 510's more than me so he let me take the day off.  Which was somewhat odd because it was his birthday and he was a work while I worked on 510's  :)  Everything I need to finish up was going pretty smooth, although I had some difficulty adjusting the rear brakes after rebuilding them.  The drum wouldn't turn a full revolution even with the adjuster all the way loose.... Weird....  Since I was in a rush and thought maybe they weren't seating properly I decided when it was ready I would just run it up the road and back then readjust them.  Around 5ish I still hadn't gotten everything done :(   To my surprise Carter showed up and helped me finish up a few loose ends!!   Then we discovered the reason the drums wouldn't turn was due to a busted diff :( :( :(  

S12 struts and coils off the wagon which replaced the bottomed out stockers.   

IMG_3056.jpg

IMG_3055.jpg

IMG_3059.jpg

• Like 1

Sparta helped me install a new diff today.  Snapped a pic with the old one removed.  It sounds much better besides the exhaust being insanely loud!!  The list of items to fix is getting shorter :)

IMG_3079.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Two years already!  Gotta get this thing done and gone!  

Almost got it.  I was going to paint it but I think I'll leave that up to the new owner.  it needs fine tuning and other tweeks with the body I don't want to do.  I think it looks good as is anyways.  Shit the "original look" is worth 8K I hear.....

I'd like to add I normally like to go to the factory seams but due to not being able to cut them off myself I wasn't able to.  

kabluey%2Bstart%2Bcutting.jpeg

kabluey%2Bclose%2Bup%2Bof%2Bwelding.jpeg

kabluey%2Bquarter%2Bwelded%2B.jpeg

kabluey%2Bquarter%2Band%2Btail%2Bview%2B

kabluey%2Bside%2Bview%2Bprimed.jpeg

• Like 8
  • 2 months later...