1974 260z 4.6DOHC

Hey everyone! I've Been following and reading the projects on here for a while without registering and then i figured why not actually register and share mine. I picked up a 1974 260Z that came with a L28. Its in decent shape, no major rust and its fairly strait. The plan is to put in a 95 Lincoln Mark VIII 4.6 DOHC aluminum block/ head V8 and a T-45 5 speed. Not sure if ill be able to get the pics up or not

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice. You'll probably get some heat for putting a ford motor in a Datsun but personally I think it would be a cool swap. You going to leave the 4.6 stock or build it?

I also have a bone stock 71 240z that my grandfather bought brand new so i wanted to do something really out of the box on the 260 that not many others have done. The 4.6 has been completely torn down and put back together. The bottom end is stock with a high flow oil pump, windage tray and canton oil pan. No IMRC runners with 96-98 cobra upper and lower intake and throttle body. A/C and power steering pump and all smog junk removed.

Measure first.That Mod is awfully wide.And as far as handling goes,a SBC with aluminum parts weighs about the same as an L-motor and sits further back,which improves the handling.

I have spent a lot of time measuring and remeasuring. There is a DOHC and a SOHC documented on hybrid so i know it can work. And you are absolutely correct the weight is very similar to an L-motor although the tranny is 50#ish heavier but that's in the middle of the car. I'm not expecting the thing to handle like stock i just want a fun car with a big motor.

Finally got the car out of the storage lot and to the side yard to start working on her. The inside is a little rougher than I remember when I bought it but i guess that is to be expected from an $800 car... I will try and get some pictures of the interior tomorrow. But from the short list i made today it doesn't have/ needs:

No exterior door handles, drivers window is stuck up, pass window is stuck halfway, pass door is stuck locked/ driver is stuck unlocked, ignition switch will accept any key and start the car but will not shut the car off, choke lever does nothing, seats are terrible.

That is what I came up with for now. The L28 that it came with runs great which really surprised me. I took some pics and a couple videos and got it on CL. I hope to have the motor and tranny out by tomorrow and the next day.

8676963678_fe16354d1d.jpg

8676959022_05850fac97.jpg

8676964164_2bfdf763d9.jpg

sweet project the z car is the only datsun i could ever see stuffing a v8 into and i like the 4.6 ford please tell me there will be a 5 speed behind it

Thanks! Yes it will have a T-45 5 speed from a 96 cobra. I was looking for a T-56 6 speed for a while but they are a little out of my price range and fairly tough to find.

............ I think he would like my wheels

I love the wheels man. I have more cans of that color laying around than i know what to do with after my rockcrawler got painted and it just seemed to fit with this project.

My titans got powdercoated but I'd be interested in knowing what brand that is and a pic of the can to match other parts on my build if u can

It is Dupli-Color 500 degree engine paint DE1641 - Grabber Green(Lime). I don't have a pic right now, i'll try and snap one tomorrow. I get it at O'Reillys it sticks great on most surfaces.

Great engine choice at least for a V8 those are the detuned version of 96-02 cobra engines wide kinda like the VG30DE's, even though those have less than 300hp with a few bolt ons it should be easy to get plenty of hp. My brother owns a 97 cobra that has been sitting for more than 10yrs as a project, he never drives it.

Great engine choice at least for a V8 those are the detuned version of 96-02 cobra engines wide kinda like the VG30DE's, even though those have less than 300hp with a few bolt ons it should be easy to get plenty of hp. My brother owns a 97 cobra that has been sitting for more than 10yrs as a project, he never drives it.

The mark motor is 290hp and 295ftlbs. I used the cobra intake and imrc runners but removed the butterfly's and got a piggyback programmer with real time data logger to use the mark computer. I'm not one for horsepower claims but I'm hoping to at least be over 300/300 as it is essentially a cobra motor now with an aluminum block and no smog crap/ ac/ power steering. I have done a few other ridiculous motor swaps like a cummins 4bt in a wrangler, so I am fully aware or the road ahead but it will get done.