New To the 720 crowd..

nismo24096

First off let me say...I'm new to the older Datsun crowd..but I have been a long time 240sx owner. and I look forward to customizing the 82 720 KC that I picked up today...

its kinda rough on the outside now..and the engine has a super high idle..and bogs to nothing when you mash the gas..but then it stumbles and then revs up..person I got it from just put a new rebuilt carb on it..and replaced all the vac lines...Im guessing he messed up something..so I have to figure out all that.. I also picked up some cool little turbine wheels...(15x10 with somewhere in the -50 to -60) offset range... funny part is I bought the rims first then the truck second..lol they are rough but have great potential also..just need some TLC like the truck.. anyways here are the pics..enjoy...I got big plans for this little truck....Lee 

720kc002_zpsf44df1c4.jpg[/url]

720kc004_zps48402f1f.jpg[/url]

3I53N53H65Id5E25M9d39230818e9764e177e_zp[/url]

3Eb3Gc3L65Ef5K55Jed396669997b943e11ae_zp[/url]

• Like 1
  • Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Ratsun  B)

Nice first post, good job.

I had an 82 datsun 720 diesel for a while, but I sold it to make room for my 521s, but one thing I would do is find a 1980 or 1983+ silver hood that matches your paint and get rid of the tacky 81/82 hoods with the goofy plastic things, but maybe you like them, they are an acquired taste, and I don't have that acquired taste yet I guess.  :lol:

Take care of your new possession and it will take care of you.

I still have a 720 though, it's another one of my creations, here is a link to it.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/42317-my-1980-datsun-720-diesel-dually/

When warmed up take the top off the air filter and take a look. Is the choke plate closes or only part open??

Like this...

carb720notlikethisLarge.jpg

This is the way it should look...

carb720shouldlooklikethisLarge.jpg

Fast idle could also be the throttle cable not adjusted properly.

Could also be the idle speed screw not turned down enough.

Thanks for the input guys.. Like I said...New to the Datsun 720 not to Nissan or forums...Once I get a chance I will do a mockup of this truck to show you what I got in mind..for it..I'm a Graphic designer so I tend to Photoshop everything prior to doing it..lol makes for better decisions...thanks for the Carb help...Im sure the previous owner just messed something up when he tried to install the new carb and do ing the vac lines himself..I have had the truck in my yard  for about two hours now so...not had time to even tinker with it..YET. tomorrow will be different im sure.

Thanks again for the warm welcome..I like this forum already....Lee

Well, a little update...or setback..lol...I took the cool turbine/hurricane rims back to the guy I  got them from...seems one of the three has .5 less offset as the others and the fins are alittle different..and since Im both OCD about stuff like that and I dont want to run a spacer on just one wheel...I called him on the whole thing and he was good enough of a seller to take them back and refund me my money...oh well...off to find another set of them..if anyone on here has a set of 15x10s they want to let go of let me know...Lee

yes he gave it back to me no problem..now all i got to do is find another set like them or the forth matching one and go back and get his again..lol  please dont mind this photoshop..it was an extreme quckie..just wanted to see what could have been...lol  and Im sure I did a BRE racing theme...

720-kc-002_zps8afdd743.jpg

• Like 1

When warmed up take the top off the air filter and take a look. Is the choke plate closes or only part open??

Like this...

carb720notlikethisLarge.jpg

This is the way it should look...

carb720shouldlooklikethisLarge.jpg

Fast idle could also be the throttle cable not adjusted properly.

Could also be the idle speed screw not turned down enough.

My carb is different...its an aftermarket one...that was from national carburetors...its only like two months old...so im thinking its vac lines hooked up wrong or something else... basicly what it does when  you give it gas is act like its getting no fuel...you hear a rush of air..it bogs and studders then it slowly gets gas and revs quickly then...until you let off the gas and press it again..then it starts all over again..