WTB 1st 510 - 2 DR - $6000 to $8000+

Hi All, I'm located in the midwest and I've been looking to get my first 510 :)

I'm a Mechanical Design Engineer and I've always wanted to get my hands dirty and to start a car project instead of designing on my PC all day... anyways so I've looked around and I have my heart set on a 510. But I still haven't really found something that fits...or I guess I saw some stuff but their were already sold, hence this post!

WTB 510 2 door: 

Must Have:

1. No Rust

2. Working Mechanics (Running engine, transmission, emissions... etc) 

3. Clean Title.

4. All the typical stuff a working car would need... 4 wheels, seat, steering wheel, working E brake.... etc. :P

Basically I'd like to have the car as a reliable daily driver while I build custom parts for it

Like to have:

1. Rebuilt engine or some sort of engine swap (SR20DET?? VQ35DE??... )  

[Edit]: i guess L20B would work too but its still a like to have :)

[Edit 2]: KA engines ok too :) 

anyways the main reason for my wanting an engine swap is I feel like if I am going to buy a project car, I'd better have a fast one or it defeats the purpose since I'm not aiming for a period 100% original  restoration. 

Again... been looking for a while so if anyone would like to sell anything please let me know :)

Thanks! 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To my knowledge there's only one VQ35DE 510 running around, maybe two, and neither will be close to your budget. The SR20 is fine, but be prepared when it comes to finding parts, you can't just go to your local parts shop and buy them. Don't discount the KA24 or VG30, both are excellent engines.

Hm... yeah I've seen this post but it says the car's not running just needs wiring... that made me hesitate since... i know wiring can be tricky if he already started but can't finish maybe there is something wrong and for a noob like me to pick that up means that it'll never get done or i'll have to pay a someone a good chunk of change to get it completed... 

To my knowledge there's only one VQ35DE 510 running around, maybe two, and neither will be close to your budget. The SR20 is fine, but be prepared when it comes to finding parts, you can't just go to your local parts shop and buy them. Don't discount the KA24 or VG30, both are excellent engines.

hm... yeah i was hoping for a engine swap so the car won't feel sluggish.. i'd be happy with a L20B swap too :) 

Did you want manual...what about ka motor...good luck with hunt. Btw, you should be able to get a real good runner for your budget.

Manual or Auto both are ok and KA motors are OK too :) hm... i'll update my list with KA engine :) any suggestions from your side? 

Yes...get a manual. If seller says engine has rebuilt or upgrade ask for receipts, look out for rust..check underneath, pull carpet out, check spare tire well, runners, fenders, your paying that much ask for tons of pictures, clean title, stay away from salvage title, look for a 2 door..get as close as you can to your dream so that you dont have to work as much. Check out other datsun sites...ufo, 510 realm, craigslist...try to stay away from ebay..overpriced. good luck.

• Like 1

Yes...get a manual. If seller says engine has rebuilt or upgrade ask for receipts, look out for rust..check underneath, pull carpet out, check spare tire well, runners, fenders, your paying that much ask for tons of pictures, clean title, stay away from salvage title, look for a 2 door..get as close as you can to your dream so that you dont have to work as much. Check out other datsun sites...ufo, 510 realm, craigslist...try to stay away from ebay..overpriced. good luck.

I've posted to 510realm the same WTB I posted here and over there they seem to think that getting a:

a reliable/straight/clean/rust free/engine swap/daily driver for around 8K

is actually not reasonable... hmm... so I'm not sure what to expect now... what do you think ? up my budget? keep looking? 

Just keep looking... this thread has been active for 5 days. Sometimes it takes months or even years to find the right car. Just stay vigilant and you will find what youre looking for. If you really want a 510 put in the leg work and dont expect to get what you want the first week you post, it doesnt always work out that way. 

Just keep looking... this thread has been active for 5 days. Sometimes it takes months or even years to find the right car. Just stay vigilant and you will find what youre looking for. If you really want a 510 put in the leg work and dont expect to get what you want the first week you post, it doesnt always work out that way. 

Thanks for the encouragement :) I've been looking for my first project for a while now so I've just recently decided to go for a 510 so i guess the search is on! 

your patience will be tested...you need to test drive as much as you can to get the feel.  Not sure if possible in your area though.  Test drive 510s that have L series, KA motors..I even seen some with V-8 and rotarys.  Up to you what you like.  With that kind of money you should find a good one that is driveable with min. work, unless you want to change out engine, suspension or tranny or repaint.  You have the money to get close to what you want, take your time and in the end you'll be happier than others who could not wait.

your patience will be tested...you need to test drive as much as you can to get the feel.  Not sure if possible in your area though.  Test drive 510s that have L series, KA motors..I even seen some with V-8 and rotarys.  Up to you what you like.  With that kind of money you should find a good one that is driveable with min. work, unless you want to change out engine, suspension or tranny or repaint.  You have the money to get close to what you want, take your time and in the end you'll be happier than others who could not wait.

Thanks for the tips! its kind of strange though i have posted the same WTB on 510realm and a few of them seem to think that what i want is not possible for 8K... i'll keep looking.. 

Thanks for the tips! its kind of strange though i have posted the same WTB on 510realm and a few of them seem to think that what i want is not possible for 8K... i'll keep looking.. 

Different people will give you different answers, for the price that you have to spend I'd say get to know members from here on the west coast and then come over with the money and i'm sure you will find one and either drive it back or have it shipped that's ones of the best opinions.  I know It took years for me to find the right 810 I wanted and it pays it off but you want it now then come to the west coast we have more than plenty for sale just look on CL.

• Like 1

Different people will give you different answers, for the price that you have to spend I'd say get to know members from here on the west coast and then come over with the money and i'm sure you will find one and either drive it back or have it shipped that's ones of the best opinions.  I know It took years for me to find the right 810 I wanted and it pays it off but you want it now then come to the west coast we have more than plenty for sale just look on CL.

I was in San Jose for a week last week and i didn't find anything in the bay... so i'm thinking about planning a trip to SoCal/LA to speed this up :) 

I was in San Jose for a week last week and i didn't find anything in the bay... so i'm thinking about planning a trip to SoCal/LA to speed this up :)

Oregon and California are gonna be your best bet, you probably just missed some for sale it happens but keep looking patience always pays off.

Have you tried Craigslist in various cities or BAT, bring a trailer.

Yes and yes :) , I work from home so i check it meticulously! right now on CL there is a nice 4 dr but i want 2dr there is one 2dr that is close (L20B) to what i was but the asking price leno money at 18K 

there are a few on the west coast but nothing that fits what i am looking for... 

however there is one in phoenix that i've texted but no response yet.. http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/3717680698.html

there is this but the wiring isn't complete to make me suspicious... http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/3733291800.html

The orange county one has been up for a while, guy is probably too lazy or too busy to work on it wiring can be a nightmare but for that price with the SR20 swap its pretty much worth the try.  Maybe have someone from here that lives close by can swing by and check it out for you and snap some pics.

If u spend that much, might as well get a 2 door.

Yeah, i mean i feel like i am being reasonable with the 8K budget and i have room to go up too! but I'm not going to burn my cash and but splurge on anything... 

I think tops is 10K and i should find something pretty good for that... but it's been slow... I'm even started PM'ing forum member to see if someone will sell! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.