Help a Noob buy a 510!

GaryDagat

So I've been actively contacting and getting ready to make an offer on the below posting on CL:

http://medford.craigslist.org/cto/3736291315.html

But, I asked for some more details and this is what I was sent: 

rH1EQJS.jpg

O9KEAbN.jpg

2RKesQ5.jpg

57wwmya.jpg

I'm a mechanical engineering designer and I've always wanted to get my hands dirty and start a project so I'm been looking around for 510s and 240Zs/260Zs for a while... 

I am in no way wanting to buy a 100% completed project so I don't mind if it needs work but I haven't seen the car so I'm not entirely sure what to expect and I'm not sure it's worth the 9500. I'd be more willing to get an unfinished car rust free car for 4000~5000 as a start to a project than to buy pretty one with hidden rust... 

Anyways I'm a noob so help me out! 

Thanks! 

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the amount of paint and body work it will need, I'd never pay $9500 for it. If you pay someone else to do the work, you're looking at a good $1000 plus to fix the paint problems. It's also highly likely that since there are the problems you CAN see, there are probably a lot more problems that you can't see. If one flare is coming off, it could be an indication that all 4 were put on poorly. In the end it could snowball into an entire respray, which ain't cheap.

Considering the amount of paint and body work it will need, I'd never pay $9500 for it. If you pay someone else to do the work, you're looking at a good $1000 plus to fix the paint problems. It's also highly likely that since there are the problems you CAN see, there are probably a lot more problems that you can't see. If one flare is coming off, it could be an indication that all 4 were put on poorly. In the end it could snowball into an entire respray, which ain't cheap.

yeah I'm been talking to the seller on and off and he is trying to tell me that I can fix everything myself (I guess I could if I wasn't a noob) and he kept mentioning just to clean it up and put rust doctor paint on it... But it sounds like a band aid solution he is trying to sell... anyways i've been reading and most forums say that if rust shows up through paint then it's just the tip of the ice burg there is definitely more! 

also if the fiberglass flares are so poorly attached as are separating... i'm expecting to see rust from the moisture gathered inside the separation gaps... overall I'm thinking worst case I'm looking at a complete repaint with removing the flares, fixing the floor panels and trunk lid and there are other pics of dings he sent me so I'm thinking it'll cost 2000 or more at a reputable shop... but to be honest I don't think the guy would that a 7000 offer... 

Why would you want a 510 with a motor that NO ONE in america has parts for..... or any daily driven FJ20 510's in america that I can think of

there's less than 5 FJ510s in the states ..... counting ones that "used" to drive .... and the one you're looking to buy

I can't think of ANY 510 with those exact flares, or "body mods" ..... so finding parts to match would be impossible (more so than FJ20 parts)

I've seen this car change hands 3-4 times in the last few years,,, and have NEVER seen pics of it on a road .. .. it's always in a driveway FOR SALE

• Like 1

Why would you want a 510 with a motor that NO ONE in america has parts for..... or any daily driven FJ20 510's in america that I can think of

there's less than 5 FJ510s in the states ..... counting ones that "used" to drive .... and the one you're looking to buy

I can't think of ANY 510 with those exact flares, or "body mods" ..... so finding parts to match would be impossible (more so than FJ20 parts)

I've seen this car change hands 3-4 times in the last few years,,, and have NEVER seen pics of it on a road .. .. it's always in a driveway FOR SALE

dang... thanks for the info :) .. i don't care for the mods to the body since that's what I would want to do after i get the car so i'd rip that crap all off anyways... 

as for the engine ... i guess i didn't think of it that way but you are right :) thanks for the pointers! 

by the way you know anyone selling their 510s you would recommend? i posted a WTB: 

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/54716-wtb-1st-510-2-dr-6000-to-8000/?p=903915

Personally, I think the FJ20 is one of the best looking engines ever made. I would buy it just for that reason. But you are correct, that it is rare, and finding parts would be even harder than the SR20.

As for the flares, yes, when they crack they start to get rust behind them. On my car the crack was small, so I didn't worry about it......but when I finally did do the bodywork it was about 1000 times worse underneath. Once water gets behind there it starts making things much worse than they look on the top.

very cool car and engine set up! But i have to agree with yellowdatsun and indy510, FJ's are a rare swap and hard to find parts for. I have talked to Clayton (69FJWagon) about his set up many times and Id consult him if you have any questions and are highly considering purchasing this 510. 

FJ20 conversions were very popular here about 15 years ago, now many people are trending towards the SR20 due to availability.

Anyway, I digress.

FWIW, and based on what the others have posted, this car screams don't touch!

If the drivetrain combo is that rare over there, it would be something that would put me off purchasing straight away.

The bodywork pics are indicative of a world of potential hurt underneath.

As YellowDatsun has says, once water gets underneath it can be potentially way worse than what it looks on top.

Indy has also raised a very good point! If it's changed hands that many times in the last couple of years I'd be definitely steering clear of it.

Good luck with your search, hopefully you'll end up with a great looking ride (remember to post lots of pics for the Ratsun pic whores)

• Like 1