What did you do to your 720 today?

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I fitted an intercooler today.

I had to work up to cutting my core support, but I had to move forward, so I cut it.

DSCN3296.JPG

Lower sheet metal in position, at least what's left of it.

DSCN3295.JPG

Everything in position.

DSCN3297.JPG

DSCN3298.JPG

Think you'll have this at Blue Lake? I wanna see it.

Well I drove the 720 today with a functioning intercooler, it helped slightly, not a lot, but slightly.

Basically I was able to do get 10mph more speed at the same EGT(1200 degrees), not a lot of benefit.

I am going to have to put an EGT gauge in the 521KC diesel(non turbo) and see what kind of temps it is running at, I have nothing to compare the 720 temps to, maybe the diesels all run that hot.

Funny thing is that my 521 non turbo diesel engine may be slightly slower off the line than the turbocharged 720 diesel, but it will kick this turbocharged diesels ass on the hiway, I cannot go fast up a hill because the EGTs get to hot in the 720, while the 521 diesel goes right up the hill, but I have no idea what the EGTs are on the engine, and I do have to drop a gear sometimes, did I mention that I hate dropping gears.

But I have to admit, the 521 diesel will go fast, but gets shitty mileage going  fast(27/28mpg), as I have my foot deep into the pedal, this 720 goes 65mph using hardly any pedal at all, so it likely gets way better mileage, that's a trade off that doesn't interest me as much as being able to go up a hill/long grade without having to drop a gear.

Well did some more body work to the truck today, just getting all those pesky dents and wavy panels taken care of. or at least better than they were... I got a new problem brewing though, it seems the truck has started this weird high pitch squeal. neighbor said it sounds like the alternator was going bad,  so does that sound right maybe. its not a belt squeal , but I was wondering if there was something else that you could think of that I should look to as the cause. it almost sounds like  a metal on metal sound..any ways. thanks for the input, I will try and get some pics of the truck up soon its kinda looks the same as it did really it still just green primer...lol

I hope so..I can deal with that, besides I am going to have to upgrade the alternator anyways when I but my little sound system in. two amps one 3000 watt mono channel amp for the bass, and a 1000 watt multi channel for the mids and highs...don't think the stock one would be able to deal with that for too long anyways...but that a whole new topic.

• 1 month later...

Deleted the EGR, cleaned up the engine bay more, replace and changed up the valve cover breather, started looking at pulling the front end apart... 

Current engine setup...

Valves are adjust to spec in a cold state.

Mixture screws are at 2 1/2 turns

Idle is 800

Fast idle is 1500

Timing is set at 5 degrees

Runs very good now.

Have been having fueling issues on the SD22, idles fine, but falls on its face at speed/stalls out. Replacing filters like crazy, and they all have crap from the tank.  Ran a few test bottles of fuel... nothing big enough to run very long, nothing setup with a draft tube and return together.

Fuel tank disconnected, unbolted, dropped... not enough clearance to actually remove. Truck is parked on a bit of a hill, lifting with a jack and blocks not advised. Thinking I should pull the bed...

First thing I would check/do is what you are doing, drop the tank, the reason I say this is because you say that the filters have stuff from the tank in them, this would lead me to believe that the pickup tube is being blocked, this can cause issues that would seem crazy, but what happens is that the pickup tube gets blocked with rust flakes, then the engine stalls out from lack of fuel, the moment it stalls, the fuel in the pickup tube in the tank flows backwards and clears/semi clears the pickup tube, then when you start it it runs fine for a while till the pickup tube gets blocked again.

Generally this only happens on older vehicles, but sometimes these diesel trucks set for years till someone comes along and gets it back on the road again, if it sat a long time, it could possibly rust inside if it was empty and start flaking, now I am unsure if the diesel tank is galvanized inside, I heard that diesel and galvanized tanks were a no-no, but I have never opened one up to see if it was galvanized on the inside.

That said I have been running a gas tank in one of my diesels for years without issues, so I just don't know.

Another thing that can happen is the banjo fitting on the fuel filter can go bad, the rear one that has two hoses coming off of it, one comes from the injectors(injector return line), and the other is the return line to the tank, I have heard that when this one goes bad, it causes hiway issues, frankly I am baffled by that banjo fitting, as I have removed the return line while the engine was running, and nothing came out, no fuel was being returned.

These guys on here give me more credit than I deserve, I know quite a bit about these diesels, but I don't know everything.

Every time I have had an issue on the hiway, it's been a plugged filter.

I heard from someone that if you use one of them plastic gas filters as a pre-filter, once it gets full/plugged, it's guts can get sucked into the fuel line and get sucked all the way to the lift pump on the injection pump, I have had one get sucked flat, but it did not get sucked into the fuel line, it caused my engine to start missing and the engine rpm dropped till it would die, then I could get it started by priming it, but it would not run for long.

Every time I cruise the recent posts, I add important stuff to my list and note the place where the good info lives. This place is really incredible, extraordinarily helpful, occasionally humorous.

Oh, I sewed a Wheelskin cover on my ST style wheel today. Tan, to match the interior. I’d show you, but I can’t imagine anyone really caring to see it all that much. While they are  quite pricey, once sewn on, they do feel pretty great. The wheel has to feel good. It just has to. My ST wheel was getting a little checked, so I figured I needed to cover it asap.

I wonder if there are better / better value steering wheel covers in genuine leather than the WheelSkins. Any input there?

Today = my new 2 me 720 -changing carb to another (OEM) :sick:   due to p o letting engine  get rained on in bed of truck-froze the carb butterflys!1 -Then  hook up exhaust pipe @ manifold= Bleed the new clutck  master , lines & slave . Get trans , diff & xfer case full of gear oil!!  Then see if this thing will drive ok??  engine i rebuilt runs good & is in 1st class shape now!! Cant wait to drive this  thing!! :rofl:

Every time I cruise the recent posts, I add important stuff to my list and note the place where the good info lives. This place is really incredible, extraordinarily helpful, occasionally humorous.

Oh, I sewed a Wheelskin cover on my ST style wheel today. Tan, to match the interior. I’d show you, but I can’t imagine anyone really caring to see it all that much. While they are  quite pricey, once sewn on, they do feel pretty great. The wheel has to feel good. It just has to. My ST wheel was getting a little checked, so I figured I needed to cover it asap.

I wonder if there are better / better value steering wheel covers in genuine leather than the WheelSkins. Any input there?

You should see the 70's car/truck steering wheels!!! Maybe they were made for tiny Japanese fingers and hands or something. Feels like you are gripping a coat hanger. Try driving a few hours with them and your hand will be sore. I put early 280zx wheels on that are much thicker and softer and better placement of horn buttons also.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...