My 1984 Mazda b2000 masquerading as a Courier

Here's my 1984 Mazda b2000. Bought it for $700 back in August or so.

IMG_20130412_134618_zps97cffb88.jpg

You can definitely tell that I'm in sore need of a lower valence in that pic.

Crooked front bumper:

IMG_20130412_134606_zpsbbc7d603.jpg

Had to pull the engine and tear it apart due to a burnt exhaust valve. Installed a new camshaft (stock) and painted it orange.

IMG_20130330_123052_zps98938e03.jpg

Gonna paint my air cleaner next.

It's got the Mazda 2.0 MA engine that is notorious for blowing head gaskets. It's lasted this long without blowing one, to my knowledge. Part of routine maintenance is torqueing the head bolts every oil change. So, I'll keep an eye on it.

• Like 17
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

I am going to murder this truck. It's plagued with stupid electrical issues. I've got a mini fuse block on the way. Going to get rid of the glass fuse box that's given me nothing but trouble.

Main issue now is that the truck just doesn't seem to be getting enough amperage to the starter. I've got good grounds to the chassis and engine block (going to try moving the bitches around again, I guess). Timing is freaking perfect or at least good. It's timed at TDC. Valve lash was set twice. No improvement on starting. Timing chain was done per the Haynes manual on it. Can't be the problem. Starter isn't bad, cranks over with all spark plugs out. Easy peasy.

I have to either A) jumpstart it. B) Put in a freshly charged battery. (tried multiple batteries, and they work fine in other cars).

I turn the key and it hangs or it'll turn it over slowly, then hang. Installed a battery killswitch as a means of saving the battery (thought there could be a battery draw when sitting). Doesn't do shit for it.

When I have the fresh battery in it, it starts and runs fine.

Might've fixed the above issue. Tentative.

New issue: backfire through carb when engine is shut off/hot.

Have you had the starter bench tested?
i had the same problem in my 85 mazda 626 the ''new'' starter was defective and would crank the engine over really slow,
when it got hot it wouldn't even work... 

Copied from my post on fordcouriercollector:

The starting issue was my fault entirely. I used a lot of 4 gauge wiring to run my battery cut off switch under the dash. Reused the old positive battery lead also.

I guess the length of the wire added too much resistance in the circuit and didn't allow enough amperage to the starter. The alternator was also only charging the battery at around 13.4 volts or so with this setup.

Now it's above 14 volts.

My truck is dieseling after I shut it off. Then smoke comes out of the carb. I've got to do some checking there (idle speed, mixture setting and float level).

I need to paint the bed in this one. I'm trying to decide between a light blue (kinda similar to my bench seat) or just black like the rest of the truck. I messed around with the idle speed and mixture screws on the carb. Now I need to drive it and see if it diesels again.

• 4 months later...

So, I sold this to some fellard friend back in August (or idk when) for $900. It's sitting in his yard with an empty clutch master cyl and glue stains (from when he super glued a side view mirror on).

He'll sell it back to me for $650.

I'm torn. I want it, but at the same time.... I don't. I know that they haven't done any sort of maintenance on it, save for a quart of oil every month (has bad valve stem seals or something). It's a bit dirtier than when I left it. I think I will stew on it for a bit?

For the price I'd grab it back. it has gremlins but you know that going in. If nothing else it's always good to have a beater around and the old mazdas are fun. My first attempt at mini truckin was an 89 B2200 with a harsh static drop. Loved every minute of it :)

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post but I just got myself an 81 B2000 and im looking for info on it.

I need to know the location of the fuse panel(not the one under the hood)but the one for the interior lights,radio and so on.

Ive googled till i cant google any more!

I don't know of any other fuse panel. The one under the hood can be really finicky as it is exposed to the elements. Try asking on fordcouriercollector. It is a slow forum though, so expect to wait three weeks for an answer.