My 1980 720, coming along slowly but surely

Batsun.man

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does flipping them affect ride hight at all?

One of my Automotive teachers was just telling me how flipping the control arms stops the ball joints from binding then he also said it would lower the truck more, is that true?

It doesn't change the actual height of the truck, it allows one to get lower without binding the upper balljoints, but other issues will/can start making themselves known, like the idler and pitman arms hitting the tension rods, I got my 520 that is on that 86 720 kingcab frame so low the idler and pitman arms were resting on the tension rods, so I had to relocate them to the back of the lower control arm, then I cut all that stuff you bent that one time off as it was hitting the ground.

It doesn't change the actual height of the truck, it allows one to get lower without binding the upper balljoints, but other issues will/can start making themselves known, like the idler and pitman arms hitting the tension rods, I got my 520 that is on that 86 720 kingcab frame so low the idler and pitman arms were resting on the tension rods, so I had to relocate them to the back of the lower control arm, then I cut all that stuff you bent that one time off as it was hitting the ground.

Wayno why you always gotta bring back such dark memories for me.....

• 5 weeks later...

You can go back down, here is how you do it, you remove the upper control arm from the driverside, grind off the lip around where the balljoint bolts to on the top, now flip it over/upside down, and put it on the passenger side, do the same thing to the passenger side upper control arm, and put it upside down on the driverside, it will not bind anymore when you lower it.

DSCN0612.JPG

DSCN0613.JPG

Where's the cab mount bolt? Welded metal over it? There should be four inside the cab and two at the rad support. This is what holds the cab to the frame.

It now has a new home made bracket underneath welded to where the old one used to be then sheet metal over top, this way I might actually gain structural integrity, done on both pass and driver side. The old mounts were rust through and through.
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...