Alternator swap!

620Soldier

I'm doing a KA swap and can't for the life of me get the damn alternator right. Battery arcs every time I got to check it. I can't read schematics, so I need the dummy "the big white one with a red stripe" deal. I've searched the forum and Google and I can't seem to even find what posts are what.

I need to wire the black, battery, white with red stripe, and black with yellow stripe into a 23100 30R00. Sorry about the lack of OICs.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm doing a KA swap and can't for the life of me get the damn alternator right. Battery arcs every time I got to check it. I can't read schematics, so I need the dummy "the big white one with a red stripe" deal. I've searched the forum and Google and I can't seem to even find what posts are what.
I need to wire the black, battery, white with red stripe, and black with yellow stripe into a 23100 30R00. Sorry about the lack of OICs.

Your truck has an external regulator and that looks like a KA alt which is internally regulated. They do not mix.

You have to remove the external regulator and join two pair of those wires..

Alternator wiring....
The White/Red stripe is the power output from the alt and goes to the positive terminal of the battery. (you may want to run a second heavier wire from that terminal over to the starter lug where the battery cable bolts to it/ This alt puts out almost 3 times what the stock alternator does and the small white/red wire isn't that big.

Black is ground... looks ok

The White/Black stripe goes to the N terminal on that plug.
The Yellow goes to the F terminal on that plug.

Disabling the external regulator....
I just cut the regulator off with the wires as long as possible. Strip and join the Yellow and the White wire on the plug. Strip and join the White/Black and the White/Red wires. Be sure to solder and tape or shrink wrap them. Remove any other wires on that plug. Now just plug the old regulator plug into the engine harness and you're done.

100ampAltimaaltswap029Large.jpg

100ampAltimaaltswap026Large.jpg

Your plug may be different shape but the wires should be the same.

OK, plug was round and I had a white with blue stripe, and a black one. They were removed and I fused the wires said. Arcing issue is gone, can/am run and ECCS lights come on. Huge progress! However, when I connect the battery I hear a relay trip, and I don't get crank. Idiot lights and stereo work along with can/am, but that's it. Also, my alt is labeled l and s. Can those be switched around with f and n? I feel pretty close to running. Super stoked.

OK, plug was round and I had a white with blue stripe, and a black one. They were removed and I fused the wires said. Arcing issue is gone, can/am run and ECCS lights come on. Huge progress! However, when I connect the battery I hear a relay trip, and I don't get crank. Idiot lights and stereo work along with can/am, but that's it. Also, my alt is labeled l and s. Can those be switched around with f and n? I feel pretty close to running. Super stoked.

Yes you can It's been a while since I did my S13 alt swap but I did wright it down.

L on the KA alt. goes to F on the 620

S on the KA alt. goes to N on the 620

Nice. Very glad to know there was a direct translation. After cutting out the regulator I noticed that it had also fed to another relay. This relay clicks after a moment from being connected to the battery. Did I cut and splice at the wrong box? I'm sorry for all the questions. I can do most things mechanical, but anything electricity involved is something I have a a hard time getting a handle on.

So its my heater relay I hear kicking when I connect the battery, and I have no crank. I have a hard time believing I screwed up the voltage regulator delete when it was simplified nearly to the point of judging out the crayons. What on earth could cause that?

You have a KA swap, so the choke heater relay is totally useless.  Unplug, problem solved.

Connecting the wires per Mike's instructions work well when no choke relay is used, but its' a big issue when there is one since it turns the choke relay on permanently.