Ryo's Hellish chicago skate build

* NOTE that i directly copied it from a thread of mine in another forum so some of the things make no sence! LOL *

oh boy... another build here and this one was... well... Un-intentional lets just say.   gah, here's the story 

So one day, I was going around bunch of good-wills' in search of cheap Hip-hop CDs down here in houston and on the way home I decided to visit the local antique ( JUNK ) shop just to make sure... and came across this..  

Photo0460.jpg

A mid century Velvet treads with St.pierre system, loose ball clay wheels and Hyde boots...    and the price tag was 60 bucks.  Not cheap Not expensive, walking around mourning at the antique shop, I decided to buy the damn skates since the store was closing in 30 min or so (yes... thats how much I thought about it)  I can't help myself but to buy old skates that are just sitting sad like that...  

P1020778.JPG

Betty lytle I guess?

P1020777.JPG

Well this isnt going to be too bad...   is it? 

P1020780.JPG
tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

Trust me... I've seen worse at work at the skate counter..

P1020781.JPG

Squeaky clean. 
(Anybody know what these cartridged "loose ball" bearings are called? It was only used in 3 of the 8 wheels) 

P1020782.JPG

Loose ball fun. 
Dirty Slimy balls everywhere up in this *beep*

Now that I have most of the greasy grease thats however old they are removed, time to get to mild-core metal polishing.  (Don't look twice... your eyes are perfectly fine, its my wobbly fingers) 

P1020784.JPG

Who knew rust could eat up RUBBER ? 

P1020788.JPG

One side down... One more to go. 

P1020789.JPG

well thats it for day 1.
  • Like 4
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting on a time machine and skipping to day 2. 

Now that all the parts are clean and functional its time to visit the mall for some shoe shopping ( The bettys' were wearable... but 1. A little too big, 2.pads crumbling up. 3. Needs leather work which I dont specialize in. 

P1020794.JPG

.......     Vinyl... cheap...terribly made...  not even sawn togather.   Oh F*** it I spent enough on the plates already. 

But there was a major down side to it (as you can expect) 

The genius that made the boots used even more squishy material for the Sole and heel and everywhere else, and the other genius that bought it didin't pay attention. 

genius-meme.png

P1020795.JPG

Well.... the detachable functionality is going bye bye...    

The screws just slimes right out by hand. 

Looks like I'm going to have to go with direct bolt on.... 

But because I'm a skate hoarding animalist psycho that keeps dead skates in the freezer. Instead of popping the st.pierre system right off, I decided to keep it for fun.  just wont be functional thats all.. 

P1020797.JPG

Power tools <3 

And here's the mock up... looking pretty good

P1020798.JPG
Too late for Hardware store..    They close at 5 on sundays. damn.    see, when you're a Asian immigrant un-native to U.S. with parents that doesn't skate, you lack so much tools that you don't even have a Bolt breaker or extra mounting hardware.  so no more fun for me today. gotta wait till tommorow to get some hardware after school. 

P1020800.JPG
P1020811.JPG

Scored some Tools they were like 4 to 9 bucks each on sale..   even that ratcheting tight space wrench thingy. 

Works really well when you need to reach the toes. 

Oh and sorry Mr.Shelby but the T-nut is guna have to be "Next Time" lol :tongue:...  I just don't feel like breaking bolts today... already sawed off 4 bolts. 

P1020812.JPG

I should go outside and play soccer with this. 

P1020815.JPG

Beautiful! 

If this skate was a chick, I'd give it 9 out of 10. :biggrin:

P1020817.JPG

Now the skates will sit here sadly until rhetttro ships his wheels :rolleyes:

also ordered some single action cushion for Laser which I'm hoping will fit the Velvet Treads....
P1020821.JPG

Vanguard red devils came in :)

P1020824.JPG

Only with Deep dish wheels like this will this ever happen..... 

and to make it better I lost one loose ball in the process... glad I had a spare. 

P1020829.JPG 

P1020833.JPG

well, here is the mock up until the cushions arrive and some alternative for the washer since rubber didint work with the weird headed chicago kingpin that I CANT REPLACE LOCALLY because of the thread pitch....   Well thats it for right now.
ALL right, Crazy head Ryoskate headed to the hardware store at 8 in the morning and got these lil washers. 

P1020837.JPG

Got 4 nylon shoulder washers, 4 nylon flats,(suggested by dillo) 4 metal flats, 16 spare loose ball 3/16. and a 3/8? washer that should fit like laser did (as suggested by Mr.shelby)

P1020838.JPG

Here's how it looks now.  Guna test them after work today.  The reason why it still has the Flathead bolt is because the suregrip bolt was too long for the plate. when i come home i will have to cut it with a hack saw... *shiver* 

the washer for the cushion looks a tad small but dont worry, its a 7/8 cushion puffed up from abuse of the previous owner ending up at amazing dia of 1inch lol.... 

P1020839.JPG

I bought metal and nylon washer to see which one works better.. I will test fibers later but really, I DONT HAVE TIME RIGHT NOW... I got work in 30 mins. 11:30 to 5 at Dairy ashford (come see me if your close enough LOL)
Skated them at funplex which had "uncoated" floor. (coating gone from abuse rofl... and they never re-coat)  had a blast sliding :D The vanguards slide when I want to and grip when needed. man these things are fun. Lot of new tricks I couldn't do, now possible with this skate.  

P1020854.JPG

P1020852.JPG

well my chicagos are complete, I guess thats end of this thread. Thanks to all those who helped and commented. Peace 

-Ryosuke

That was a trippy post. I loved it. I didn't realize there was an underground ratsun for skaters. you are gonna need a few more tools to work on a Datsun though!

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...