'74 and then some

JNHEscher

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Got a few things accomplished. The clutch disc was split and the flywheel and pressure plate were glazed. Resurfaced the flywheel and installed a new clutch set. Tore the tranny down for inspection, installed new front bearings and all new seals. Removed all bump stops, the torsion bars, shocks and leaf springs. Dropped the frame on the axle and control arms and made some ladder bar links for the rear. Sits pretty damn low.

I've done most of the body work on the rock auto hood, but I stood back for a look and something was off. Set it on the truck and found it had a one inch gap and was out of square. So, back to the original hood. Gonna have to peel it apart and straighten that out. I'll be starting the tailgate this week since I can fit two glove box molds on the back side make three carbon fiber panels in one shot.

Still have to mount the air bags and run lines, but thats the easy part. I'll post my pics tonight.

Plates on.  Wonder if there's much torque gain with this much spacing.IMG_20130629_135005_zpsd49754e5.jpg

Looks like a '75-'77 L20B motor from this picture. Did you use locktight on the adapter plate bolts. Many have reported vacuum leaks.. turns out the bolts come loose.

Thought you might see the rad fan spinning in this pic, but it's running!  Fires right up every time.IMG_20130629_150429_zps5e220809.jpg

Congrats on getting it running. :)

You will want to adjust the angle on that throttle cable or it will wear and eventually break.

Looks like a '75-'77 L20B motor from this picture. Did you use locktight on the adapter plate bolts. Many have reported vacuum leaks.. turns out the bolts come loose.

Locktite on the bolts and Permatex on the gaskets. I had a hunch. Suppose the numbers on the block would be tell what it is if one were curious. It needs a timing chain for sure. As long as it runs I'm good with it.

Congrats on getting it running. :)

You will want to adjust the angle on that throttle cable or it will wear and eventually break.

I'm ordering a new cable and routing it in a much better fashion. Its beyond crusty. Getting a new speedo cable as well since it was frayed in half.

where did you get this kind of throttle hook up at?  What I'm curious about is the bracket hou have holding the cable?  Is that home made?  I'm at the point of hooking up the cable and I'm kinda stuck there. Any info on the hook up would be most appreciated.  Thanks Lance

where did you get this kind of throttle hook up at?  What I'm curious about is the bracket hou have holding the cable?  Is that home made?  I'm at the point of hooking up the cable and I'm kinda stuck there. Any info on the hook up would be most appreciated.  Thanks Lance

Thats the cable mount that came with the carb. I ordered the 32/36 weber kit off eBay from the Weber Carbs Direct or whatever it is. $213 and works incredibly well.

• 4 weeks later...

Slow progress as I do this around my work schedule and am purchasing many items needed.  A friend and I are investing in the proper equipment for vaccum infusion carbon.  I have the glove box ready for wet sanding and painting.  Getting a nice Sata RP this week.  I have everything to make the first mold once the paint has had time to cure well.  I'm considering doing the dash next, but I haven't decided whether to mold it all as once piece with the pad shape, or mold just the steel, then add the pad.

IMG_20130806_192203_zps18eb14f6.jpgIMG_20130806_190249_zpsd059944b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been slacking on posts lately, but progress has been made. We got the glove box set up to make the mold. Poured gel coat and got a layer of fiberglass backing on. Also laid glass over an Isuzu vehiCross hood insert. The Isuzu has been sitting here and there looks to be lots of people hunting for carbon parts. I have Sunday to build up the rest of the mold backing.

I got the rear of my 620 bagged. Just need short shocks. Still need to torch the front off the 720 and get suspension from that mounted on the 620. Pics on Sunday! ;)

Decided to wander back in the weeds again to look under that 720. The lower crossmember and control arm mounting looks identical to the 620. Upper looks very similar as well, but I couldn't look any further without sticking my head in poison ivy. Might pull it to the shop this weekend. I wanna drive my truck.

• 2 weeks later...

Got to tinker today with my buddy Patrick!  Got everything loose but the lower inner control arm bolts.  They're seized in the rubber, but I'll get back out there to give them a good smackin'.  Much to my surprise, the brake rotors weren't seized between the pads.  Every bolt and nut came right off without a fuss.  I'll be so much happier with rotors and ball joints on the 620.  My work load has been pretty hefty lately, so I don't get much time for projects at home.  I'll keep adding pics.

• 4 weeks later...

Got all arms on with new hardware.  620 and 720 tie rod ends use the same pitch and thread ball joints.  Same length rod, too.  Everything went together really well.  Just waiting on 18mm bolts from Fastenal for the lower bushings.  Front air bags should show up tomorrow and then I can order the shocks.  I love the look of tucking stock rusty wheels and a little camber in front.  I'll be daily driving it in a few weeks.

IMG_20131027_155031_zpsf1d58099.jpg

• Like 1