'74 and then some

JNHEscher

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the fuel started to foul over the winter.

Don't know exactly what you mean, but if you had a batch of bad gas, replacing filter won't necessarily get it out of the carburetor.

With a Weber 32/36, there is no drain plugs like on a Hitachi. You can remove the top and use a turkey baster to remove the fuel, or remove the carb to drain it. I would not try to rebuild it. Don't fix what ain't broken.

What do you mean by paper gaskets? Of course fuel will get on the gaskets, but unless its leaking its no problem.

It started to get the varnish smell of old gas. I had fresh gas in but it sat for a few months. Ive ran a tank's worth of new gas in it recently. The paper gaskets do leak a bit. Nothing drastic, but the sides of the carb are always damp with fuel when its running. This rough running issue only lasts for half an hour each time I start it cold. After that, it has power and runs fine, just a tad rich. Its almost like condensation builds up in the carb.

I've read that the timing marks are supposed to be straight up. My crank mark lines up with the flat of the main bearing cap with #1 at tdc. The cam gear has a v notch that lines up to a mark on the cam thrust cap within a few degrees. Close enough to run fine, assuming the marks are good.

IMG_20140518_160135_zpsmhtfctsq.jpg

IMG_20140518_160203_zpsxpse0jhk.jpg

Yup yup. Finally came across a PDF with proper specs and illustrations this morning. I have it at dead center. The can gear has already been moved to the last pin hole to compensate for stretch. I ordered an L20 chain, guides, and tensioner this morning. I'll be comfortable with driving this to Maine and California now.

It gets all new either way since I have it open. Maintenance, ya know. It'll be a selling point, too, when the time comes.

Should be jumping back to the bodywork shortly. Been eyeing a slammed 620 for sale that I'm sorely tempted to buy and take to Camp N' Drag. Hard to get the time for it all in between fixing heaps of other cars and misc. work.

None of my skinny blade gauges go below 0.010". I'll probably get the timing cover and such back on tonight. Really want to drive it to cCali but I'm pretty sure I'm headed there in a few short weeks and haven't the time to have it streetable by then.

Got the timing cover buttoned up, oil pump and dizzy on, and valve lash set. If I have time tomorrow, I'll get the cooling stuff slapped on with an electric fan mounted. Got a 14" reversible fan from Kenny. Measures to fit perfectly.

The right valve timing makes a hell of a difference. Still sputters a bit but I now have smooth acceleration. No vibrations or rattles from the one piece shaft. Ordering the stuff to hook up the electric fan. It warmed up within a couple minutes without the mechanical fan and its so much quieter with a new water pump.

• 5 months later...