'74 and then some

JNHEscher

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend and I rebuilt the carb over the weekend, but after running it through the sonic cleaner and re-assembly, the rpm is uncontrollable.  Got it to slow down but no idle.  Apparently I cleaned out all the gunk that was sealing vacuum leaks.

I bought a new hood through Rock Auto and am filling all the dents around the edges from crimping the sheet metal.  We're making molds for carbon fiber for every part as I get them smoothed out.  Gonna be one light truck.

• Like 1

Got it on stands and pulled all the wheels so I could check the brakes.  All was well other than the left front brake shoe adjust that was seized.  Sprayed it with PB blaster while heating.  Loosened right up.  Then we got two and a half days of rain which turned the driveway into a swamp and caused it to fall over into my friend's dodge.  Only harm done was a little paint transfer.

Crash_zpsac9aa081.jpgWheelsoffforbrakes_zps364e5e30.jpg

Removing and installing the dch is one of the worst carb experiences I've had, but I managed.  It's back off for a second rebuild.  It ran well prior to taking it off the first time but it died occasionally and ran super rich.Carboff_zps615e9e68.jpg

• 2 months later...

After a few weeks at work away from home and two hail storms, I got to continue on the roof and started smoothing out the glove box cover for a mold.  Got my kingpin rebuild kit from Singapore yesterday.  Still haven't decided on the carb, but I think I'll give in and buy a rebuilt unit from O'Reilly's.  As soon as I have it on the road, I'll start collecting the parts to lower it in 350Z suspension and hunt for a vk56.

You might look into getting a weber 32/36 instead of the stock replacement. Much easier carb to tune and troubleshoot, more reliable as well.

Are you going to do production panels or just one offs for your truck?

Welcome aboard :D

I'll be making panels for both stock replacements and going one-off for mine. 

I've been going back and forth over the Weber and DHC.  Since everything else is totally stock I wanted to keep it that way for now.  I'll be selling all the drivetrain and suspension once I have enough parts together to start the real build.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12157

This thread has been my bible for the past couple days.  I bought back the pair of 2600 lb dominator air bags from a friend of mine and will bag it only as far as it'll drop without notching the frame for the time being.  Ordered a Weber which should show up this Thursday.  I also spotted a 720 in the back acres of the house I stay at.  I'm looking in to whether or not the 4 speed from that will swap since my syncros are shot.  Hopefully I'll get the king pin set replaced and start making room for bags this week.  If so, there will be some lovely pics B)

Make sure the 720 has an L-series. The later Z series transmissions lean at a different angle.

Exactly what I read, and that only 79 and 80 kept the L series.  I'll walk back there and take a look as soon as I get home.

If you have a true '74 it should have a 71B 4 speed. The front case half with the engine bolt pattern will bolt to the 5 speed from the 720 if it turns out to be from a Z series motor. All you need is a 12mm spanner, two screwdrivers and a tube of sealer. A ratchet and snap ring pliers is easier. I've pulled a case off in about 5 min in a wrecking yard where i didn't have to be careful.

L series

LansZtrannybell002Large-2.jpg

Z series

LansZtrannybell003Large-1.jpg

Its a true 74. The 720 is a Z...and has a stellar hornet's nest in the heater duct. I may go ahead with the swap if it works. I pretty much destroyed the driver's side king pin set trying to install it. Thought about going 720 ball joint, but if I go through that trouble I just assume go ahead with 350Z knuckles. Major face palm after this afternoon's mess.

Wife and I took it for a little test drive yesterday.  Sounds like I just have to replace the throwout bearing.  Might as well get a new clutch while I'm in there.  Got curious and looked at the block tag which says L20B.  The last owner said he replaced the motor after it "blowed up" half way from California.  This isn't a concern to me at all since I'm going with a laid out motor and tranny swap.  I'll have Weber pics up later this eve.