bondo work

ok i managed to pound the hood on my 610 as straight as its gonna get now for the bondo work does anyone have any tips for this ? things to avoid things to make sure i do ive done a little bit of bondo work and it turned out ok but i wanna make this better so im looking for tips i know apply it in thin layers and sand down the high spots then repeat and dont go more the an 1/8 inch thick but is there anything else?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Make sure you strip the hood first and apply a good self etching primer. Never apply bodo directly over bare metal. Bondo tends to absorb moisture, and it gets trapped under the paint. Bye Bye metal hello rust. Get your supplies at a good distributor such as Finish Master. Not the pink do it center bondo. When doing body work you get what you pay for. Use long block sanders when doing big areas, like a hood. I get my primer from this place SPI. It is illegal in california. That stuff is so good. Im gonna order some tomorrow.

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/homepage-old.htm

Good Luck

Scott

Never apply body filler to anything but bare metal. There are a few glazing putty's ive used that can be applied to primer or sanded paint. Bodywork is hard to explain on the net..theres so many techniques & tricks that you just have to get out & learn the hard way. One thing youll wanna do 1st is use a hammer & dolly to get the panel as straight as you can before applying body filler. PM me if you want & ill help you out more..BTW..ive been doing bodywork since i was in high school [86] damm im old..haha:D

Never apply body filler to anything but bare metal. There are a few glazing putty's ive used that can be applied to primer or sanded paint. Bodywork is hard to explain on the net..theres so many techniques & tricks that you just have to get out & learn the hard way. One thing youll wanna do 1st is use a hammer & dolly to get the panel as straight as you can before applying body filler. PM me if you want & ill help you out more..BTW..ive been doing bodywork since i was in high school [86] damm im old..haha:D

Yea, What he said,

I've also been doing body work since H.S. 1973 Oh talk aboud old.:eek:

always apply to bare metal, if you apply over primer you defeat the purpose of it sticking good to the surface..also what the rest said, u just need to work it slowly, but remember not to sand to much in one area for a long period of time, u can warp the metal by doing that, like with an air opperated da, or long board sander, make sure to move them around , also use a good body filler, such as rage, or shark bite, we use both here at the shop i work at, might cost a little more , but well worth it in the overall finish product, also very easy to sand, versus over the counter bondo, very hard and brittle, now when finishing u can use polyester filler to fill in pin holes or sand scratches after u prime, then use a very good primer sealer to finish off before u paint,thats about it, just remember what u get is what u pay for, cheap will work, but after a while it will show..:)

im using rage body filler a friend of mine used to work at a body shop and he had to quit he gave me some of his stuff (resperator the rage filler sandpaper masking paper by the rolls)