How to wire a KA, CA, SR, and VG into anything

• Please log in to reply
1004 replies to this topic

#1001 Icehouse

Icehouse

wolf man

• User Administrator
  • 5,676 posts
  • Cars:57 VW SC - 59 210 - 64 VW camper - 2 68 510 2 dr - 70 bluebird coupe - 3 71 510 2 drs - 73 1200 ute

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:38 AM

Yep that's how the alternator goes.  I think the medium white wire can also be constant power but would work fine switched to I'm sure.  

yeah MAF should be fine way down there.  

"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb."    Sam

#1002 GT2

GT2

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Cars:Titan

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:11 AM

Yep that's how the alternator goes.  I think the medium white wire can also be constant power but would work fine switched to I'm sure.  

yeah MAF should be fine way down there.  

Cool!

Is the brown/white light wire a ground? : 12+ to light, light to brown/ white wire?

This is all the wire I stripped out of the harness, wish I could have pulled more!

Get_Attachment_Thumbnail.jpg

#1003 earlyvws

earlyvws

• PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Cars:70 521/ 69 521/ 71 510/ 72 hakosuka/ 70 240Z

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:59 PM

Hello Everyone!

Ive been gone for a bit, but working hard. I'm trying to get the 521 running and having some problems getting the motor running.

S13 KA24DE with manual ecu ::::::::::::: msd 2225 fuel pump 

I started following an old diagram that didn't work. After reading everything I could find online I'm more confused now then when I started.

AE14287_E-03_AA-45_E3-83_F6-208459_BA8_B

So far I have tested the following:

Dizzy has spark

Injectors have power confirmed with NOID

TPS has normal functions based on testing I found online

MaFF has power to it

Fuel rail is getting gas

I have just found the updated diagram on this forum and wired canam box accordingly, but fuel pump relay not working properly. I have a few questions about this new diagram.

EA71_AC7_F-_C749-409_D-8_DBB-3_E36_F08_E

1. What is going on int the areas I circled in red? It looks like a wire going from 86 to 30 to me, but not sure how to hook that up.

2. 46 & 109 look like they go directly to 30 but is also listed as going to ecu bup (currently I have these 2 only going to ecu bup).

3. What is the ground at the bottom of the diagram? 

4. What happened to the O2 sensor wire that was originally in the first diagram?

Here is how my canam box is wired. Don't look at all my red wires!!! They are labeled!

7_B42_E5_A9-153_E-4837-_AF4_B-5_DA7_C328

Anyone see anything wrong with my wiring?

Also is a fuel pressure regulator required?

#1004 2wheel-lee

2wheel-lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Cars:1975 Datsun 620, 2006 Dodge Ram w/Cummins

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:43 PM

It's hard to give you direction without a lot of explanation and drawings. Sorry. 

I also don't have the ECU pin numbers handy, so I can't help you there. 

I haven't yet wired up my SR, but I'm familiar with these general circuits as they are generally the same across most import EFI engines. I've never had a CanAm box in my hands, so I don't know what goes to what without seeing it. I like the concept and cleanliness of using the box, but I don't know if I'll use one of them or just wire up my own relays (at a fraction of the cost). 

So there's what I don't know.  

First, the loops you see going to the relay coil simply supply power to that side of the coil. The relay is energized from a negative trigger from the ECU and then 12V passes through the contacts of the relay. 

Though I have a lot of experience reading circuit diagrams, these diagrams can be very confusing. Quite frankly, I think they're written very poorly. 

Something else to consider is that you're getting confused especially by looking at both diagrams. They use different methodologies of running the ignition circuits. While I won't say one is better than the other, just know they are different and therefor don't try to get a little bit of knowledge from each and make sense of it - you'll be even more confused. Pick one of them and stick to it and discard the other.  

One example is that the the first diagram uses the ignition switch and ECU (for two of them) to trigger all the relays, whereas the second diagram uses the ignition switch to trigger one relay while using ECU negative signals to trigger the other two. I might have missed a few things while scrolling up and down, so excuse me if I mixed up the top and bottom diagram descriptions. 

I believe they're saying the O2 sensors is labeled as "SENSORS" that is part of the ECCS1 circuit. 

#1005 ]2eDeYe

]2eDeYe

Bastard!

• User Administrator
  • 17,712 posts
  • Cars:78 620 KC, 77 620 KC, 72 CJ5, 04 G35 coupe mmmm

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:20 AM

I just went through a rewire on my red truck so this is all pretty fresh for me. 

Answers I know are below in red. I am ignoring the first wiring diagram to minimize confusion. :)

I have just found the updated diagram on this forum and wired canam box accordingly, but fuel pump relay not working properly. I have a few questions about this new diagram.

EA71_AC7_F-_C749-409_D-8_DBB-3_E36_F08_E

1. What is going on int the areas I circled in red? It looks like a wire going from 86 to 30 to me, but not sure how to hook that up.
You are running constant 12v+ to both 86 & 30.

2. 46 & 109 look like they go directly to 30 but is also listed as going to ecu bup (currently I have these 2 only going to ecu bup).

This is main power to the ECU, just needs a fuse, no relay

3. What is the ground at the bottom of the diagram? 

From the ECU harness, the black wire goes to chassis or block ground. Both if you are feeling saucy and like to insure a good ground. 
Without this hooked up you will not trigger the ECCS relay, which in turn triggers the fuel pump relay. 

4. What happened to the O2 sensor wire that was originally in the first diagram?
It is part of the wiring harness, I assume that it is staying wired up in this configuration and you do nothing but plug it in. 

Here is how my canam box is wired. Don't look at all my red wires!!! They are labeled!

7_B42_E5_A9-153_E-4837-_AF4_B-5_DA7_C328

Anyone see anything wrong with my wiring?

I used regular relays, but the can/am is pretty straight forward. Labels are super helpful her as you know. :)

Also is a fuel pressure regulator required?

No, the fuel rail has a pressure regulator, the ECU controls the fuel pump power and will turn it off once pressure is reached. 

Hope that helps. 

Smokin' Joe's House of Datto's

gJv38AY.jpg
Member- *Japanese Trucking Association*

**DATSUN FAQ** ~ If ya know it, post it ~ If ya don't know it, learn it ~

ratsun.net rising sun stickers                     ratsun business cards order thread

620 KA24 Motor Mount Swap Brackets

1977 620 KingCab Deluxe KA24DE Swap - Refresh and cleanup
1978 620 kingcab 4x4 - KA24E SAS w/Dana 44 front and Toyota rear

1967 RL411 Station Wagon

Whenever I think that I'm out of my mind for putting this much time and money into an old Datsun, all I have to do is look some of your threads to know that I'm not nearly as whack as you are.

You're going to skin a few knuckles, stand up too fast and bump your head, hunt around the floor for the nuts and bolts you dropped, invent a few new cuss words and when you're finished you'll say "That wasn't so hard after all!"