How to wire a KA, CA, SR, and VG into anything

• Please log in to reply
1004 replies to this topic

#41 Icehouse

Icehouse

wolf man

• User Administrator
  • 5,676 posts
  • Cars:57 VW SC - 59 210 - 64 VW camper - 2 68 510 2 dr - 70 bluebird coupe - 3 71 510 2 drs - 73 1200 ute

Posted 12 November 2008 - 08:27 PM

When I wire the fuse box I use these fuses boxes and what ever relays I can find with the handy tabs, makes them easy to mount.

Posted Image

like this when its installed (pic in a dime passenger foot well)

Posted Image

The fuse boxes contain 6 fuses so if you are going to run other stuff besides the ECU and fuel pump thicker wire isn't a bad idea. Remember Tesla vs. Edison? DC current looses its gumption over short distances.

"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb."    Sam

#42 shinobi x

shinobi x

Hall Monitor

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:40 PM

Thanks guys. I think that clears some things up. I have more questions but I will reserve them until I do this next week and see how it all pans out. Thanks again.

#43 shinobi x

shinobi x

Hall Monitor

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:37 AM

Here are pictures of the relays I got...

http://www.dannymontt.com/relay

http://www.dannymontt.com/relay_back

Mine seem to have five connections in the back.
On the front it has a diagram to what each point goes to.

My Question is how does the first picture of the relay diagram relate to the diagram you guys have of the wiring.

For example: point 86 would go to power cable, point 87a would go to fuse box... etc.

Get what what I'm saying? It's confusing because I don't know how these things work so I don't know how to read it. Thanks guys!

#44 Icehouse

Icehouse

wolf man

• User Administrator
  • 5,676 posts
  • Cars:57 VW SC - 59 210 - 64 VW camper - 2 68 510 2 dr - 70 bluebird coupe - 3 71 510 2 drs - 73 1200 ute

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:11 PM

Here are pictures of the relays I got...

http://www.dannymontt.com/relay

http://www.dannymontt.com/relay_back

Mine seem to have five connections in the back.
On the front it has a diagram to what each point goes to.

My Question is how does the first picture of the relay diagram relate to the diagram you guys have of the wiring.

For example: point 86 would go to power cable, point 87a would go to fuse box... etc.

Get what what I'm saying? It's confusing because I don't know how these things work so I don't know how to read it. Thanks guys!

Thats a "Hi,Low" relay for headlights. I could work but not optimal. You need standard relays unless you want an extra pin for no reason.

30 comes from the fuse box then is switch from 87a to 87 in your case. 85 is the ground for the switching coil and 86 is the power. Hopefully that clears some stuff up for you.

#45 banzai510(hainz)

banzai510(hainz)

L motor God

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,983 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:33 PM

pin 85/86 is the low current path to trip the Relay. Some are polarity sensitive some are not.

87/87a and 30 is the high amp contacks
Throw on some Weber sidedrafts, Rising Sun hood.... call it good

#46 Icehouse

Icehouse

wolf man

• User Administrator
  • 5,676 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:35 PM

I always ground 85.

#47 shinobi x

shinobi x

Hall Monitor

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:06 PM

So I assume that I would use 87 to power... let say the fuel pump and not use pin 87a right? Then I would just leave 87a blank...right...

#48 shinobi x

shinobi x

Hall Monitor

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:06 PM

Well after everything is said and done I made my own wiring diagram. Improved from the nice one already made with a more clear understanding of the relay. Also it's in PDF format for a nice clear picture. Again thanks for all the help guys. This is going into a 280Z just in case you were wondering...:eek:

http://www.dannymont...wiring_for_sr20

#49 shinobi x

shinobi x

Hall Monitor

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:14 PM

ok so the PDF didn't work :blink: but here is the JPG

http://www.dannymont.../wiring_diagram

And here is the link if you want it in PDF format:

http://www.dannymont...wiring_for_sr20

#50 ppeters914

ppeters914

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,398 posts
  • Cars:1966 & '67 1600 Roadsters, 1966 WPL411 (no drivetrain)

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:21 PM

WOW! That's clean. What did you create the drawing in?
Pete
-----------------

Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
Jake: Hit it.

#51 Icehouse

Icehouse

wolf man

• User Administrator
  • 5,676 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:55 PM

Damn that is one nice drawing!!! It puts mine to shame thats for sure :D The only thing I think should be changed is the optional kill switch. Where you have it puts it on the high amperage side of the circuit. If it was only cutting power to pin 86 it would be better because if someone used a cheapy low amperage switch it wouldn't burnout. A good quality switch to handle that kinda power is hard to find these days. Well from any local store that is... Radio Shack is a joke if you ask me.

I should really go through and find the exact colors for all the engines and make sure they are right. I should also add the s14 and 15 models... Its just time..

O and the amperages for the fuses I just kinda made up :D After talking to Rob it may be better to run smaller ones.... I'm no electrical engineer.. Maybe I can get him to post here.

1 last thing, did you post your car in the project section? I want to see this beast! :D

#52 510rob

510rob

Bobby Freedom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:10 AM

post here

#53 Guest_DatsuNoob_*

Guest_DatsuNoob_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:40 AM

I should really go through and find the exact colors for all the engines and make sure they are right. I should also add the s14 and 15 models... Its just time..
:D

Please do. Post that shit! :D, I'm lost without the assistance of experienced help. Plus I always make it a point to let other guys fuck up first before trying it myself :lol:

#54 Llittle_Llama

Llittle_Llama

dwnshfters new leaf...or not

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts
  • Cars:02 Excursion... 620 again someday :(

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:07 AM

lol, i am glad i found this. i am about to install about 5 relays in the 620!
You can never go back home.

#55 Bugeye

Bugeye

• PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Cars:72 PL-521 (The Project Truck), 1990 Mitsubishi Galant GSX, 1962 Ford F100 Unibody

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:20 AM

Please do. Post that shit! :D, I'm lost without the assistance of experienced help. Plus I always make it a point to let other guys fuck up first before trying it myself :lol:

and this is why i have all the ka threads subscribed to:lol:
It's not what you buy, It's what you build

#56 whisper3H

whisper3H

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Cars:1981 Datsun 510, 1989 Corvette

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:05 AM

question: what does ECCS stand for, my first guess was Electronic Climate Control System, but i think im wrong..
engine:
stock Z 2.0L engine with: holley 2 brl carburetor from '77 vega wagon, re-sealed radiator/hoses, custom fabricated exhaust, new plugs wires and dist. cap, new brake mast cyl., clutch mast. cyl., clutch slave cyl.
interior:
re-upholstered seats from 1970's 280Z, custom shifter boot, and center console
sound system:
sony xplod kit with cd-player/ipod, two small speakers up front , and two 6x9's in the back,1000w amp to dual kenwood 10 inch 1000w subs

#57 qwik510

qwik510

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,906 posts
  • Location:Maryland (Suburbs of Washington, DC) East Coast USA
  • Cars:72 510 2 Door

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:11 AM

That diagram is very nice. Great job on it.

Now if only someone did one like that for the VG30 swap.

Does anyone know of one for the VG30 engine??

Also, I've determined, I'm not a hoarder, I'm a collector.
As I'm sure a lot of the old school datsun guys are.

Enjoy the Ride!

David

1972 Datsun 510(Pete Brock's 510)
1977 Datsun 620 King Cab (Barn Find)

#58 shinobi x

shinobi x

Hall Monitor

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:13 AM

WOW! That's clean. What did you create the drawing in?

I did it in Adobe Illustrator.

#59 shinobi x

shinobi x

Hall Monitor

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:16 AM

question: what does ECCS stand for, my first guess was Electronic Climate Control System, but i think im wrong..

electronic concentrated control system.

Not exactly sure the difference in that and the ECU but I assume IMO it's the same thing.

#60 shinobi x

shinobi x

Hall Monitor

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:21 AM

Damn that is one nice drawing!!! It puts mine to shame thats for sure :D The only thing I think should be changed is the optional kill switch. Where you have it puts it on the high amperage side of the circuit. If it was only cutting power to pin 86 it would be better because if someone used a cheapy low amperage switch it wouldn't burnout. A good quality switch to handle that kinda power is hard to find these days. Well from any local store that is... Radio Shack is a joke if you ask me.

O and the amperages for the fuses I just kinda made up :D After talking to Rob it may be better to run smaller ones.... I'm no electrical engineer.. Maybe I can get him to post here.

1 last thing, did you post your car in the project section? I want to see this beast! :D

I can change anything you think I should change. What would be the recommended fuse size? 10A?

When you mean the high amp side of the current for the kill switch, should it go on the other side of the relay? Cutting off the current the relay sends to the harness?

I can post the car when I get some pics done. I have pictures of the L28 coming out but the car is in a utter mess right now since I've taken it completely apart.