How to wire a KA, CA, SR, and VG into anything

Icehouse

Jeff, do you have any pics of where and how you installed the ECU. Where did you mount it? I think i remember it on the floor under the seat at canby last year. Anybody else with a 510 have any pics of their ECU mounting locations?

I am looking to install in a 620, but all suggestions help.

Does a Nissan Ecu have to be mounted any way special? I assume that out of the engine bay is a must.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am looking to install in a 620, but all suggestions help.

Does a Nissan Ecu have to be mounted any way special? I assume that out of the engine bay is a must.

Jason

I thought you were done with the KA idea...or are you thinking for the VG?

Under the seat, behind the seat, or under the dash. You could put it under the hood if it was in a box of some kind to protect it.

They don't really care how they're positioned, they come stock in both horizontal and vertical configurations. I would only assume that they don't like to be loose

• Like 1
I thought you were done with the KA idea...or are you thinking for the VG?

Under the seat, behind the seat, or under the dash. You could put it under the hood if it was in a box of some kind to protect it.

They don't really care how they're positioned, they come stock in both horizontal and vertical configurations. I would only assume that they don't like to be loose

I am done with the KA idea, this would be for a VG. I originally intended to put the ECM under the glove box, aove the package tray, but i have now found the complete underdash AC system and it takes up every last bit of space under the dash. Absolutely no room under the dash for a ECM. And i plan to run and automatic, so i have to run a separate trans ECM also. Basically almost twice the space. I guess that under the seat is really my only choice now.

Jason

• Like 1

shorten the depth of the glove box and mount the ecu behind it

I am done with the KA idea, this would be for a VG. I originally intended to put the ECM under the glove box, aove the package tray, but i have now found the complete underdash AC system and it takes up every last bit of space under the dash. Absolutely no room under the dash for a ECM. And i plan to run and automatic, so i have to run a separate trans ECM also. Basically almost twice the space. I guess that under the seat is really my only choice now.

Jason

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

I need help.

The orange wire from the harness to the starter solenoid confuses me.

i have a 1992 ka24de going into a 1968 1600 roadster. I have all the other wires / relays hooked up but I am hesitant about the orange wire for some reason.

I am supposed to run a wire from the hot on the solenoid to the orange on the dash connector?

Thanks in advance.

~Robert

• Like 1

Jason

Here is a shot of how someone mounted the ecu under the dash in a 510. If you flipped the ECU over, it would tuck up tighter.

318310522_681ad1c5ed.jpg?v=0

• Like 1

I just put the ECU under the passenger seat, I've though about under the dash but the wiring harness is so long I didn't want a ball-o-wires under the dash. I also thought shortening them would be way to much work, even though I did splice every wire on my dual cam CA because when they pulled the engine in Japan they used a sawzal on the harness :( Now that is not something I would want to do again.

• Like 2
I need help.

The orange wire from the harness to the starter solenoid confuses me.

i have a 1992 ka24de going into a 1968 1600 roadster. I have all the other wires / relays hooked up but I am hesitant about the orange wire for some reason.

I am supposed to run a wire from the hot on the solenoid to the orange on the dash connector?

Thanks in advance.

~Robert

The orange wire on the dash connector goes to IGN. Doesn't have anything to with the started selenoid.

I usually use the vehicle's harness to wire up the starter and alternator.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
What size wire gauge are you guys using? Should I use 8 gauge for the power from the battery to the box and then 10 gauge to the relays?

Also, relays are for what type voltage? I am going to use Bosch style 30/40A is this good.

Sorry for the questions but there seems to be so many choices for what to use.

14 gauge should be good enough.

Bosh 30/40A are ok. I usually go to the junkyard and get the Nissan OEM style that fit nicely in my pocket ;)

• Like 1

Pathfinders have a relay on the passenger inner fender below the hood hinge. The base that the relay plugs into has smallish gauge trigger wires but the output are really heavy wires. I have several and look really nice when wired up, very neat and tidy with no bare spade connectors showing.

• Like 1

When I wire the fuse box I use these fuses boxes and what ever relays I can find with the handy tabs, makes them easy to mount.

IMG_0280.JPG

like this when its installed (pic in a dime passenger foot well)

IMG_0312.JPG

The fuse boxes contain 6 fuses so if you are going to run other stuff besides the ECU and fuel pump thicker wire isn't a bad idea. Remember Tesla vs. Edison? DC current looses its gumption over short distances.

• Like 2

Here are pictures of the relays I got...

relay

relay_back

Mine seem to have five connections in the back.

On the front it has a diagram to what each point goes to.

My Question is how does the first picture of the relay diagram relate to the diagram you guys have of the wiring.

For example: point 86 would go to power cable, point 87a would go to fuse box... etc.

Get what what I'm saying? It's confusing because I don't know how these things work so I don't know how to read it. Thanks guys!

• Like 1
Here are pictures of the relays I got...

relay

relay_back

Mine seem to have five connections in the back.

On the front it has a diagram to what each point goes to.

My Question is how does the first picture of the relay diagram relate to the diagram you guys have of the wiring.

For example: point 86 would go to power cable, point 87a would go to fuse box... etc.

Get what what I'm saying? It's confusing because I don't know how these things work so I don't know how to read it. Thanks guys!

Thats a "Hi,Low" relay for headlights. I could work but not optimal. You need standard relays unless you want an extra pin for no reason.

30 comes from the fuse box then is switch from 87a to 87 in your case. 85 is the ground for the switching coil and 86 is the power. Hopefully that clears some stuff up for you.

• Like 1