• Please log in to reply
1004 replies to this topic

#21 xyzalvarez

xyzalvarez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:50 AM

so i only need 8 wires to make it run with stock ECU?
im just guessing...engine codes for missing plugs? like emission, lets say abs, etc etc...

i just got a KA 95 and planning to install it the most basic to make it run ...but im worried about missing codes or faulty readings
for the missing plugs avoided... im getting worried to much huh??

#22 kiznook

kiznook

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts
  • Cars:72 510 4dr, 91 hardbody

Posted 29 October 2007 - 02:11 PM

Only 8 wires that cross over between the engine wiring and the car. you still have to run the harness from the engine/sensors to the ecu.

#23 xyzalvarez

xyzalvarez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:54 PM

hooo ok! got you...

if theres a difference between S13 and S14 motor / ECU, location wiring or extra sensors?

#24 fryanbacon

fryanbacon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Cars:70 1600 Roadster, 71 510 2dr (s14 sr20det ), 72 521 w/L18, and a 66 520

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:57 AM

hooo ok! got you...

if theres a difference between S13 and S14 motor / ECU, location wiring or extra sensors?

yeah. is there a difference?
since a s14 is what I've got.

#25 Icehouse

Icehouse

wolf man

• User Administrator
  • 5,676 posts
  • Cars:57 VW SC - 59 210 - 64 VW camper - 2 68 510 2 dr - 70 bluebird coupe - 3 71 510 2 drs - 73 1200 ute

Posted 08 May 2008 - 11:10 AM

The s14 isn't much different in the wire colors except the cold start signal witch off the top of my head I can't remember the color. I personally hate the s14 harness, it takes way longer to wire. The ECCS relay is already wired though :) I always move it, its in a bad spot.

"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb."    Sam

#26 yello620

yello620

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,548 posts
  • Cars:76 FJ40, 68 Chev swb, 94 BMW 530IT

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:35 PM

Jeff, do you have any pics of where and how you installed the ECU. Where did you mount it? I think i remember it on the floor under the seat at canby last year. Anybody else with a 510 have any pics of their ECU mounting locations?
I am looking to install in a 620, but all suggestions help.

Does a Nissan Ecu have to be mounted any way special? I assume that out of the engine bay is a must.

Jason

#27 nismopu

nismopu

• PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • Cars:85 z31 turbo/S30-81zxt engine/87 z31 turbo(auto)

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:08 PM

I was gonna mount mine under the dash pocket compartment, if yours is equipped with one.

#28 kiznook

kiznook

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 12:53 AM

I am looking to install in a 620, but all suggestions help.

Does a Nissan Ecu have to be mounted any way special? I assume that out of the engine bay is a must.

Jason

I thought you were done with the KA idea...or are you thinking for the VG?

Under the seat, behind the seat, or under the dash. You could put it under the hood if it was in a box of some kind to protect it.

They don't really care how they're positioned, they come stock in both horizontal and vertical configurations. I would only assume that they don't like to be loose

#29 BEEBANI

BEEBANI

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts
  • Cars:'11 sentra, '11 Quest

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:56 AM

I was gonna mount mine under the dash pocket compartment, if yours is equipped with one.

That's where mine is, with the shelf in there you almost can't see it.

#30 yello620

yello620

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,548 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:30 PM

I thought you were done with the KA idea...or are you thinking for the VG?

Under the seat, behind the seat, or under the dash. You could put it under the hood if it was in a box of some kind to protect it.

They don't really care how they're positioned, they come stock in both horizontal and vertical configurations. I would only assume that they don't like to be loose

I am done with the KA idea, this would be for a VG. I originally intended to put the ECM under the glove box, aove the package tray, but i have now found the complete underdash AC system and it takes up every last bit of space under the dash. Absolutely no room under the dash for a ECM. And i plan to run and automatic, so i have to run a separate trans ECM also. Basically almost twice the space. I guess that under the seat is really my only choice now.

Jason

#31 kiznook

kiznook

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:54 AM

put it in the glovebox. If you still need that storage space, build a box under the seat, it'd be safer than the glovebox anyway

#32 DISLEXICDIME

DISLEXICDIME

Brittany

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,735 posts
  • Cars:71 510 86 720 88 323gtx

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:54 PM

shorten the depth of the glove box and mount the ecu behind it

I am done with the KA idea, this would be for a VG. I originally intended to put the ECM under the glove box, aove the package tray, but i have now found the complete underdash AC system and it takes up every last bit of space under the dash. Absolutely no room under the dash for a ECM. And i plan to run and automatic, so i have to run a separate trans ECM also. Basically almost twice the space. I guess that under the seat is really my only choice now.

Jason

#33 yello620

yello620

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,548 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:02 PM

I have considered the glovebox idea. I dont really use it anyways. As long as i could get my insurance card and registration papers in there i would be happy.

Jason

#34 abusaidi

abusaidi

Hall Monitor

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:58 AM

I need help.
The orange wire from the harness to the starter solenoid confuses me.
i have a 1992 ka24de going into a 1968 1600 roadster. I have all the other wires / relays hooked up but I am hesitant about the orange wire for some reason.
I am supposed to run a wire from the hot on the solenoid to the orange on the dash connector?

Thanks in advance.
~Robert

#35 qwik510

qwik510

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,906 posts
  • Location:Maryland (Suburbs of Washington, DC) East Coast USA
  • Cars:72 510 2 Door

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:48 AM

Jason

Here is a shot of how someone mounted the ecu under the dash in a 510. If you flipped the ECU over, it would tuck up tighter.

Posted Image

Also, I've determined, I'm not a hoarder, I'm a collector.
As I'm sure a lot of the old school datsun guys are.

Enjoy the Ride!

David

1972 Datsun 510(Pete Brock's 510)
1977 Datsun 620 King Cab (Barn Find)

#36 Icehouse

Icehouse

wolf man

• User Administrator
  • 5,676 posts
  • Cars:57 VW SC - 59 210 - 64 VW camper - 2 68 510 2 dr - 70 bluebird coupe - 3 71 510 2 drs - 73 1200 ute

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:55 AM

I just put the ECU under the passenger seat, I've though about under the dash but the wiring harness is so long I didn't want a ball-o-wires under the dash. I also thought shortening them would be way to much work, even though I did splice every wire on my dual cam CA because when they pulled the engine in Japan they used a sawzal on the harness :( Now that is not something I would want to do again.

"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb."    Sam

#37 0.C.

0.C.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Cars:71 521

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:06 PM

I need help.
The orange wire from the harness to the starter solenoid confuses me.
i have a 1992 ka24de going into a 1968 1600 roadster. I have all the other wires / relays hooked up but I am hesitant about the orange wire for some reason.
I am supposed to run a wire from the hot on the solenoid to the orange on the dash connector?

Thanks in advance.
~Robert

The orange wire on the dash connector goes to IGN. Doesn't have anything to with the started selenoid.

I usually use the vehicle's harness to wire up the starter and alternator.

#38 shinobi x

shinobi x

Hall Monitor

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 11:21 AM

What size wire gauge are you guys using? Should I use 8 gauge for the power from the battery to the box and then 10 gauge to the relays?

Also, relays are for what type voltage? I am going to use Bosch style 30/40A is this good.

Sorry for the questions but there seems to be so many choices for what to use.

#39 0.C.

0.C.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Cars:71 521

Posted 12 November 2008 - 07:43 PM

What size wire gauge are you guys using? Should I use 8 gauge for the power from the battery to the box and then 10 gauge to the relays?

Also, relays are for what type voltage? I am going to use Bosch style 30/40A is this good.

Sorry for the questions but there seems to be so many choices for what to use.

14 gauge should be good enough.
Bosh 30/40A are ok. I usually go to the junkyard and get the Nissan OEM style that fit nicely in my pocket ;)

#40 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 69,420 posts
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 12 November 2008 - 07:53 PM

Pathfinders have a relay on the passenger inner fender below the hood hinge. The base that the relay plugs into has smallish gauge trigger wires but the output are really heavy wires. I have several and look really nice when wired up, very neat and tidy with no bare spade connectors showing.
Posted Image