Another 510 IS RISEN

1971 510 automatic, 2 owner car.  I bought it off eBay back around August 2012.  Lucky unlucky I guess.  I was up late messing around on eBay, the buy-it-now was high, and the reserve hadn't been met.  I thought I'd help the guy out boost his bidding a little.  So I put down a bid figuring it was a low enough offer that I wouldn't even meet reserve... Well I was wrong, it met reserve.  So next I figured I'd be out bid for sure.... nope.  First I had to figure out where the money was coming from, then I had to find transport from California to Kansas.  "No problem", just another $800, and week and a half later, it was at my door! 

So it's a two owner car.  The original owner drove it up until around 2000 then it was garaged.  I suspect it was put away due to a bad head gasket, judging from the crystallized glycol in the intake and cylinders.  The original owner past away, and his brother stored it with the intentions to fix it some day.  It has Mostly original paint,  with original interior that is in great condition aside from rips and scratches from one of those "yappy" dogs the previous owner must have had.

.........Long story short, here is what I've done so far:  ***On page two, I go back and make the Long story long****

1980 L20B stock with EI dizzy

New Weber 38 DGES synchronous

Stock L20B intake with port matched top-plate for Redline adapter plate

Here's my install on the Weber:  http://community.ratsun.net/topic/56764-i-love-my-weber-38-dges-heres-my-38-dges-install/

New TopEnd Performance shorty header (needed a lot of machine work before it went on: Surfaced flange; flange looked it was cleaned with a grinder and would not have sealed against the head, sloppy welds around the ports had to be ported and re-welded in some areas. Before cleaning the welds, the ports were tiny and would not have flowed well.)

610 225mm flywheel lightened to 17.4 lbs with Exedy clutch kit

1982 280zx 5spd

Stock rear end

Champion aluminum radiator

Here is my install of the radiator:   http://community.ratsun.net/topic/56540-champion-aluminum-radiator-meets-510-install/

New brake and clutch masters

1982 280zx wheels

185/60/14 tires

Optima battery, should be here tomorrow

Parts in the waiting:

Early ribbed cam cover.... Wouldn't fit right now, it hit the hood.  I hope when the new engine mounts break in I can put it back on.

New 2" exhaust system

ST performance springs and anti-sway bars

280zx bake conversion

Subaru LSD and choice of 4.11 or 4.44 ring gear

air dam

steering wheel

240sx 5spd converted for L series engine.  Here is what I did on that:  http://community.ratsun.net/topic/49396-fs5w71c-240sx-5spd-behind-the-l-series-l16-l18-l20b/?p=799382

Now that the car is on the road, I'm planning on driving it, and making mods one at a time until I find the setup that is right for me.

272.jpg

275.jpg

277.jpg

279.jpg

283.jpg

285.jpg

287.jpg

288.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a set of tails if you need them. Not NOS, but probably fitting for this car. You can PM me for details if youre interested. Glad to see another 510 saved. Other than the 4x4 status, it looks great! :thumbup:

Thanks for the offer, but I do have some tail lights, I just haven't taken the time to put them on.  You know, priorities of getting it running and all!  On that note though, I did make the mistake of buying one of the new sets of lenses listed on eBay.  They are close, but not the same as originals.  I'm going to give that pair to 510rcr.  So he can stop using his nice Euro set on his race car!

As far as the 4x4 look goes, I'm going to start with cutting coils until I find the right height.  But, later down the line, I will put on my 280zx conversion and ST springs and adjust those until I get the correct height.  I will probably drop it until the rubber is right at, or within an inch of the wheel arch. 

Other than putting on tail lights, exhaust and a couple things in the interior, I'm finished playing with it until I move to Alaska around May 1.  Then I will spend the time to dial it in more.

How does that Weber 38 run?

Maiden voyage this evening....  I don't understand why people were questioning my choice of the Weber 38... I loved the 38!  On a stock original L20B, it pulled great.  Lots of power, burnouts at will (not that I was trying, I just had the clutch pedal adjusted high and it made for difficult throttle clutch feathering).  It has two air needle adjusters... super easy to adjust... especially compared to the SU's.  I'm not even sure I want to screw with trying my SU's on this engine.  I couldn't be happier with the carb.  And that was with makeshift exhaust going into stock 1.75 inch pipe, resonator, and muffler.  I also have the advance curve still setup for the 720 truck.  I officially won't go back to a 32/36.  And I may not go back to SU's.

I did modify the stock L20B W58 intake.  The carb plate on top of the intake, I cut out the divider bores so it's now an open bore to match the Redline adapter plate that came with the carb.

the reason I ask is that I have been running su's (a very good set) since getting the new motor and I've have had mixed results... most negative I'm afraid. I also have a brand new Weber 38 and edelbrock intake sitting on the shelf that I'm reluctant to run for fear of losing power. Not a lot of datsun owners are running the 38 so feed back is limited at best.

Joel

• Like 1

SU's are time consuming to get them synced.  And you also have to find the right needles for your application.  If you've got mixed results with your SU's, I would suggest trying the Weber 38.  I'm now reluctant to even try my SU's. I may just sell them when they get back from being rebuilt.

I loved my 38/38 when I was running it.  I think they be perfect for a L20 myself and as Klassic Motion said hog out the intakes to port match and where the carb sits on the stock manifold. EZ!!!!

KlassicMotion

reverse the battery so the positive is behind. in case battery  moves foward  and shorts out on the hood, (How I know this?)

Thanks, I've got a smaller optima in it now.  And it's strapped down.  The maiden voyage, I didn't have the EverStart strapped down, I took of from a stop sign with some enthusiasm and it slid back and shorted out my plug wires!

• 2 weeks later...