B210 Goodness: Finally Picked up a Car(Dos?)

Kirden

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering, why the 1200 carb?

As stated, no emissions equipment, wiring, etc. 

The guys in Aussie swear by the built A14's. I am not sure why we don't do more of it here in the US.

We're convinced bigger is always better.   :rofl:

And at least some of us are still big on the A-series engines. I love them. They sound great, they are very light weight, and they are super easy to work on.  :thumbup:

But, if I remember right ggzilla stated that the A14 has larger venturies and jets. He also stated (I think) that it would run lean with the A12 carb, at least I read that somewhere.

If he did, he's wrong.    :rofl:

The venturis are the same size, only the two jets that screw into the bottom are different. And it's super easy to screw them out and screw in the jets from your stock B210 carb.

We've done this mod on several different cars and it always works perfectly.   :thumbup:

• Like 1

Awesome info, thanks Dfreak! :thumbup:

So, just waiting on payday to grab some tires, hoses, and fluids. Looks like I'll have another gas tank to clean out, but at least it won't have that "treatment" junk in it. Worst invention ever!

I figured out that our water restrictions have been lightened. Still can't run water outside, but I don't have a spigot anyway. However, I can bucket wash it on even days since I have an even address  :fu:  Now to wait till Monday for the temp to be above freezing and work to be over.

• Like 1

It's in my county. They still think we are in a drought... Even if the river is overflowing and it's raining every day, we can only use outside water on even or odd days depending on our address. Some conservationist movement by the water board that actually passed, and since I live next to a few people that work for the water company, and they hate my datsuns... Yea, it's not a good combo.

• 2 months later...

Haha, nah man. The hatch will be alive by Friday (fingers crossed).

So, finally finished moving and put in some work on the coupe. Got it jacked up and pulled the oil plug to drain it. Fully black, but what else could you expect after 12 years sitting. Being extremely cautious of attempting a restart with dry internals, we pulled the rocker cover... This is the cleanest engine I have ever seen inside. No sludge at all, no oil, rust, dirst, silicon. I was in complete shock, it looked brand new. Took some of my "high mileage" conventional oil and wiped down the rockers, springs, and push rods. Then we noticed that the rocker cover gasket had a break in it, so we just sat it back down till tomorrow when the new gasket arrives. Then we'll fill the oil, drain and replace the coolant, prime the pump, and do a test start using a small can and the stock pump (hopefully).

Interestingly enough, the radiator still has plenty of coolant in it even after sitting 12 years. It is barely above the top fins, but there isn't any noticable corrosion. I still have a long way to go to clean up all of the smog crap, but if it will run with it, I may leave it all. Working Datsun vs Datsun sitting waiting for a 1200 carb, water neck, and my lazy as to make block off plates? Hrm, hard choice :P

Ah thanks for the info ggzilla. Full of the good stuff as always :)

The 1200 carb was more focused on if I decided to desmog it though. If it runs with the smog stuff, I see no reason to worry about it (yet)

Question though, the rubber gaskets in the air cleaner box (the one the air filter sits on, and the on on the box lid that sits on the filter), is there a realiable replacement for these? The green car has a perfect gasket in on the bottom section of the air cleaner, none on top, and a horrible gasket around the carb opening. The white one has a good carb seal, good air cleaner lid seal, but no seal for under the air filter... I'll try to get pictures tomorrow.

It's ALIVE! got the gasket sorted, put in a battery, and poored a bit of gas down her gullet and bam! Still need to clean the tank so we disconnected the hose and used a gas rag. Doesn't look like she smokes so it might be good. If only the green bitch were so easy ¦(

• Like 1

If you need to clean your fuel tank, pull the hard fuel lines and clean them too. I pulled the hard lines on my 1200 2dr. Sedan, plugged one end, filled it with MEK, plugged the other end and let it percolate for 3 days. Drained the line and blew it out with the air compressor. You wouldn't believe the junk that came out of the lines. A good preventive maintenance procedure to do while it's apart, so you won't get stranded by fuel line/filter blockage when it's back on the road. I would have never thought of this but it was recommended by my Ratsun Brothers. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice. Those lines were scary with all the crap in them. So far we have replaced around 70% of the fuel hose (all the hoses under the car were rotten) and I have eught feet of vacuum hose to start working. The rear drums and shoes have been removed, all the hardware looks good but we haven't bled the lines yet. I have new brake and clutch hoses and a new clutch master and slave (the clutch master was dry, the brakes were still holding fluid).

I do have two rear brake cylinders and a new brake master if needed, so I might replace them as well. After all of the vacuum lines are replaced and we do the tune-up, hopefully it will idle properly.

Sadly I've failed on pictures for this one. If it ever stops raining I'll snap some photos during the brake work.

• Like 1