Roadster Reliability?

RCStealth

I am considering purchasing a mint 1969 1600 roadster as a daily, but know nothing about their reliability.  The seller said that the carbs have been rebuilt, but is the R16 motor reliable?  I have a good L20b as a backup motor if shit hits the fan, but would it swap fairly easily?  Hit me up with any thoughts or words of wisdom.  I know it's a crazy idea, but...it would be a fun little car, and maybe I'll do some Datsun representation at some local autocross events! 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

R16 is as dependable as a L series. Parts for the R motor are not too bad, it's the U20 that will put you in the poorhouse. L20B is not a drop in swap. Trans/bellhousing would need to be changed and possibly notch the crossmember to clear the oil pump. Quite a few people rip out perfectly good R16's to swap in SR's or U20's, so good used motors can be had for very good prices,

Mark

• Like 1
Quite a few people rip out perfectly good R16's to swap in SR's or U20's, so good used motors can be had for very good prices,

That would only be a last resort.  Although an SR would be cool, a modified one (I would do that) might be a little too much power for that little car.  Plus the side draft carbs on a Datsun motor sound awe-inspiring.  Hmm...I wonder if I can find a S20 out of a old Skyline GT-R?   Maybe I'll give JDM legends a call somewhere down the road.

P.S. Thanks for the info Mike and Mark.

Going to google to find some answers to the following questions, but thought I would post here due to the wealth of knowledge.  How about cruising rpm/gas mileage on the interstate?  Are there any reliable 5 or 6 speed options that would allow for a lower cruising RPM?

The R engine is a strong and reliable one.  I have 160,000 miles on mine.  I rebuilt it on general principles at 120,000 miles.  It had slight scuffing on one cam so I replaced the cam and lifters.  By the way, the cams were logged as sold out with no due-in date.  I noticed that the dealer first looked up the camshaft, jotted down another part number and then referenced that to get the bad news of on back order with no due date.  I asked him to enter the first part number.  1000 units in stock!  The "preferred" part was being ordered, it was for the late metric engine, leaving a warehouse full of the part I needed for my early SAE engine.  The bores had only 5 thousandths wear at 120,000 miles, so a set of standard rings went in.  Regular oil changes and periodic checking of the headbolt torque go a long way towards reliable operation.

I recently did about a 200 mile drive on my stock 1600/4spd car.  Almost all highway driving.  It does turn a lot of RPM but doesn't seem to mind it.  At 65 mph (gps) I was at about 3600~3700 RPM if I recall.  My gas mileage was approx 27mpg.

There are only 2 5 speed choices I know of that will bolt to the R16, the U20 5 speed and a hybrid using the SD diesel bellhousing with a KA trans. The U20 5 speeds have known issues with the mainshaft nuts loosening and the non splined 5th gear spinning. Both are relatively easy to check/fix BEFORE you drop the trans in. On roadsters, there is no just pulling the tranny. (unless you pull the body off lol) Lots of roadster info on 311s.org

Mark

...a hybrid using the SD diesel bellhousing with a KA trans. On roadsters, there is no just pulling the tranny. (unless you pull the body off lol) Lots of roadster info on 311s.org

Mark

I actually have a 5 speed KA transmission, so SD diesel bellhousing...hmm.  I'm guessing the motor and trans have to be pulled together?   I'll have to find some time for that one, hahaha. 

Thanks for the 311s.org suggestion, looked it up, good stuff.

Get it and drive it stock.  There is nothing wrong with the 1600/4 spd combo.  They are both bomber units that are very trouble free and reliable.  The 5 speed swap requires more than just a tranny.  You need a 2000 backplate (thicker) a different drive shaft and shift fork and a different cross member.  You can double up two 1600 backplates to get the right thickness as a last resort but that is pretty bush league.

• 2 weeks later...