Installing Power Steering, Datsun 720 Kingcab (Need Help)

fragginfags

Hello, firstly im almost 16 and about to get my l's and my dad bought me a datsun 720 kingcab, it needs work here and there few rattles,

but it has no power steering and im not that strong, so its a **** to turn, especially in parallel parking and im just wondering is it possible to install power steering into it, and where would one get all the parts required?

Also i dont know much about cars, i understand the basics so could i just take everything to a mechanic and have them install it?

EDIT: a picture might help you guys, out with helping me out :)

34ismwy.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for future refference it would be better to post this stuff in the appropriate section in this case suspension and steering 

power steering was an option on these if i remember right it would just be a matter of finding one in the junk yard with it you would need the pump as well as the steering box and lines 

but unless your gonna do some heavy offroading there is no real need you get used to the heavy steering after a while you say your not that strong well forcing yourself to drive it with no power steering and you will get stronger my 56 chevy 3/4 ton has no power steering and the steering wheel the size of a bus and takes some umph to make it turn but over all i wouldnt change it 

all in all not a bad first post you included a pic so you wont be hung welcome to ratsun

You will have to get your parts locally as we are left hand drive and you are right hand drive.

You will likely need everything to do with the power steering including the steering column, as I recall the PS columns are set up differently than the non power steering columns, the rag joint is on the gear on the non PS column, while it is under the power brake booster for the PS columns, and there is a reason for that, the rag joint hits the upper control arm(UCA) on the PS gear units, at least it does on the 2wd trucks, just look at everything very closely if you try to use a 2wd unit, it would be best to use a 4wd unit if you can find one, as yours looks to be a 4wd, correct?

BTW, if you were to find a datsun/nissan 720 2wd RHD power steering gear that you did not want to use, I would pay you to pull it and ship it to me, just the PS gear that bolts to the frame, and possibly the the pressure line if it is small, oh and the idler arm also.

I would really like to build a RHD.

I just did this swap on my 86 720 2WD, LHD, it was fairly easy, but like it's been said, you need the entire steering system to include the column, connecting shafts, rag joint, box, lines, pump and all the brackets and bolts to make it work. This will more than likely give you a tilt steering column too, which is a plus, so you'll also need the plastic covers for that too. If you are really lucky, you can get the wiper delay relay and add that option too! It will simply plug into the existing harness under the dash....and if you really like delay relays, you can find the dome light delay and connect that to your existing harness, these are all plug and play as I have found so far.

Most of the models with PS are the ST model, so you can also find other options that will bolt on to your truck if you find an ST model, including Power Windows if you are extremely lucky, but that requires you to change the doors too, and some wiring.

BINGO! just found this website

http://www.nissanpartszone.com/oem-nissan-720-pickup-steering-power-steering-pump.html

can someone possible select everything i will need for the powersteering setup and send the individual links?

You're in Australia? I don't have a lot of knowledge of what you guys got and what works there. So I have to ask... did your 720s EVER have a power steering option? If it did, find one and swap it into yours. If it didn't, then you are going to have to make something work. This may include fabrication of mounting parts yourself. We call them 'one offs' .... unique hand built parts found nowhere else.