Blue Ballz KA24E 210 swap

CWhip

I would 1st like to give props to all that have done this swap and the DE swap before me.  Thanks for providing the info and the inspiration to me so I could do my own.  Now that's out of the way... if you're on the fence about doing this swap, just do it, you're gonna like it!

I wanted to try to do this swap with as much plug and play as I could.  Tried to stay within the Nissan family while looking for parts and such.  Didn't want to do a bunch of fab work because of limited resources but it's good to have friends that do!  I went slow, tried to get most of my major parts before starting like motor (of course), CAN/AM box, H165 rear end, cross member... So I'll let the pics speak for themselves.

My 81 210

7e87f02b-7a59-4412-b003-cb1841ed91fe_zps

Pulled a good running A15 5 speed, and yes, this was the easiest part! Nice battery terminal huh?!
IMAG0864_zps326b3353.jpg

IMAG0867_zps7f483891.jpg

2nd easiest thing was the rear end swap.  Out with the small in with the larger.  Not the largest but better than stock.

IMAG0870_zpsde0bfced.jpg

I got my E out of a 89 240sx.  Couldn't get it to run while in the car (fuel related) but the compression checked out ok so I pulled it and brought it home.

SxS's

IMAG0866_zpsff999c65.jpg

IMAG0865_zpsad1cdbd8.jpg

Ordered a crossmember from a 81-83 200sx and swapped it in.  Top is stock with the 200sx below.

IMAG1025.jpg

With the x member in I could test fit the motor.  The x member goes right in and bolts up perfect.  The motor mounts right up to it but the 240 motor mounts are way too tall.  I probably spent too much time contemplating which motor mounts to use.  I ended up using the 240 brackets with the 210 isolators.  I was worried that the motor was still sitting up too much but it clears the hood and I've got about 3/4" clearance on the x member.

2013-02-19_15-37-30_789_zpsfd8ed774.jpg

With the motor mounted my brother fabbed me a tranny mount so I was set there.  I ended up using a radiator out of a 72 620.  I figured if the 620 guys that have done this swap weren't having any problems with over heating, neither would I.  Stock 240 lower hose mounted right up but had to get creative with the upper.  I've got the sticker off the hose I ended up using around here somewhere but can't remember what the hose came out of.  Measured for the driveline and had one made.  I had a buddy of mine come over to help with the wiring since he's so good at it and I suck at it.  We ended up tucking it up on the pass side.  He had it looking all pretty when he left but I had to redo 1 wire and screwed it all up.  We could get the motor to turn over but I wasn't getting any fuel, turns out I had the fuel lines wrong.  I ordered a header off Ebay and got the pipe work done.

2013-03-11_15-31-47_713_zps86205dd6.jpg

Here you can see my tranny mount

2013-03-11_15-32-00_857_zps930f4ff7.jpg

So that's where I am now.  I started this back in Sept and it's gave me something to do during the winter.  I've been driving around with perma grin and trying not to get myself hurt with all the extra power I've got.  Shocked the shit out of an Audi the other day and was lovin it!  I've still got a few things to button up but he's my daily now and life is good!

2013-03-13_17-53-22_47_zps92870877.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. I love sleepers as well. Totally unassuming car that will blow your doors off! The exhaust is nice and mellow. I didn't want the fart can sound. And I did have to cut for the shifter. Still have to come up with something to make it look cleaner on the inside. I will say I love having the short shifter tho! It was a must have because of the e-brake.

And I'm pretty sure if I had this kind of power in my 210 back in high school, I'd be dead! It's a handful but so much more fun!

• Like 1

No real camber issues but the steering is definitely heavier. I'm still on the hunt for a sway bar out of a 81-83 200sx and eventually will upgrade the brakes. Not to mention heavier springs. The KA brought the front end down a bit more. I probably won't get an alignment until those upgrades are complete. But it goes down the road pretty straight.

• Like 1
No real camber issues but the steering is definitely heavier. I'm still on the hunt for a sway bar out of a 81-83 200sx and eventually will upgrade the brakes. Not to mention heavier springs. The KA brought the front end down a bit more. I probably won't get an alignment until those upgrades are complete. But it goes down the road pretty straight.

great!, thanks for the reply and the review of the steering feel. i am looking at doing a swap soon and this info will certainly help with the gathering of parts.

I bet money your gonna rip those 210 motor mounts. my ka tore up a 510 mount and its twice the size. just saying not trying to be a negative nelly.

The mounts are what I toiled over the most. At some point I'm sure they'll give but this is my DD and I'm not beating on it that hard (just occasionally). I tried to find some that were a little shorter to drop the motor down a little bit more but didn't find anything I really liked. I figured I'd give the 210's a shot because I haven't seen them used before and just wanted to know how well they'd hold up.

What about something like this?

e30urethanemm.jpg

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/E12-engine/e30urethanemm.html

I looked all over at mounts like those.  Solid mounts and what not.  I was looking at bolt thru mounts like these http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Universal-Bolt-Through-Engine-Mount-Cushion-Kit,1199.html and was even considering getting some of this and making my own http://www.ebay.com/itm/URETHANE-POLYURETHANE-ROD-2-OD-X-20-LONG-80A-BLACK-/250823230305?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a663ac361 I figured if they could handle a V8, a little torquey 4 banger shouldn't be a problem.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, i get it. now i feel like a dummy. my first car ever was a 1980 210, and i pulled the engine on that thing numerous times. i currently own a 1979 210 and between the two had never noticed that. learn something every day i guess.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE.  I finally got a sway bar.  Got it out of a 80 A10 with a NAPZ motor.  It ended up being about 1" longer than the stock 210 one and cleared the KA pan.  Man, what a difference!  The body roll has been driving me crazy!  When I would really dive into a sharp corner the fender lip would cut into my tires.  I was doing research on coilovers with some heavy springs just because I had just about given up on a sway bar.  All is good!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...