• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1970-1973 and 1975-1980

with filter change ~~~~~~ 4 1/2 qt

without filter change ~~~ 4 qt

w/ filter change ~~~ 5 1/8 qt

w/o filter change ~~ 4 3/8 qt

I fill the oil filter with 1/2 qt then spin it on. That way it takes less time to fill the filter when you start the motor up, so it gets oiling to the top quicker. Make sure you check the dip stick to make sure it up to the mark, before starting. 

all l series 4 bangers hold the same amount of oil i personaly wont run anything other then castrol in any of my engines and i steer clear of fram just  go to a parts house and tell them you need a filter for the truck they all use the same filter 

Spend about $5-$7 on a good oil filter. NAPA house brand or Wix are still good.

15W40 Shell Rotella or Chevron Dello 400 still have a reasonable amount of ZDDP in their formula. Many, if not most, oils today don't protect out 'flat tappet cams' near enough because the ZDDP levels have been dropped to 'protect the environment' and because most engines today use roller rocker cams. Tell the NAPA guy you want an oil to protect your flat tappet cam, he'll know.

Look on the door jam for the build date. If between Oct.'73 to Sept. '74 it should have an L18 in it. Earlier would be an L16, but as Bonvo said they are pretty much identical except for some internal parts. After 40 years it may have had several engine swaps so if you want to know for sure look on the top edge of the block where it meets the head just behind the dip stick handle. It's stamped into a flat boss on the block.

LseriesID.jpg

• Like 1

yep..read that motorcraft Fl-1a is just like Puralator which is also supposed to be good.  Next oil change no more Fram...hear and read to many bd things.

Good to hear FL-1A can be used for Datsuns, same one for my 65 Mustang...

• 1 year later...

Spend about $5-$7 on a good oil filter. NAPA house brand or Wix are still good.

15W40 Shell Rotella or Chevron Dello 400 still have a reasonable amount of ZDDP in their formula. Many, if not most, oils today don't protect out 'flat tappet cams' near enough because the ZDDP levels have been dropped to 'protect the environment' and because most engines today use roller rocker cams. Tell the NAPA guy you want an oil to protect your flat tappet cam, he'll know.

Look on the door jam for the build date. If between Oct.'73 to Sept. '74 it should have an L18 in it. Earlier would be an L16, but as Bonvo said they are pretty much identical except for some internal parts. After 40 years it may have had several engine swaps so if you want to know for sure look on the top edge of the block where it meets the head just behind the dip stick handle. It's stamped into a flat boss on the block.

LseriesID.jpg

You mention those two oils specifically, but aren't they both for diesel engines?  Will that cause any issues? 

Diesel oils are high in products that can damage catalytic converters from within the last few years. Other than that they are excellent oils manufactured to take serious abuse. I run delo in my 720 and my pathfinder and in my 70s and 80s Honda motorcycles. I love that stuff. You are not only perfectly safe running those oils, because of the zddp, you're actually better off running them.

Diesel oils are high in products that can damage catalytic converters from within the last few years. Other than that they are excellent oils manufactured to take serious abuse. I run delo in my 720 and my pathfinder and in my 70s and 80s Honda motorcycles. I love that stuff. You are not only perfectly safe running those oils, because of the zddp, you're actually better off running them.

Since I am running a catalytic converter in my truck, maybe I will stick to something else?

No reason. The concern is for cars manufactured recently and their catalytic system. It doesn't matter when the cat was built, because you're either using universal which have fewer catalysts or factory from a time it didn't hurt anything. Unless you install a 2015 frontier exhaust, you don't have anything to hurt. I assume you came here for expert advice, so take it. These guys are aware a 70s datsun has a cat. We're all telling you it doesn't matter, that delo is the best. I understand you want to the best you can for that old beast. Listening to guys datzenmike is the best you can do for it.