My 1971 521

Dalesun

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice score!  Kind of curious how much you paid for it but understand if  you don't want to reveal that info.  I just bought a pretty darn straight 521 myself and just got it home so I know how excited you must be!  :thumbup:

What are your plans for it other than what you've already discussed??  Just curious  B)

Thanks for the comments guys. Plan on getting my 5 speed back in. Have to replace the throw out bearing and figure out why the tranny doesn't spin the spedo cable. Gona put a 210 head I got from my friends dad on it and take the u67 head off. Want to put a l20b in it down the road after I find one with dual su's. Probablt get the dual su's before I put it the l20b. Maybe lower it a couple of inches later on. Also really want to get shoulder belts on it but don't have the spot drilled out or threaded for it. It's just blank. If anyone has done it let me know what you did. Really don't want to eat my stearing wheel if I get in an accident.

Do you have an L16 block in your truck?

Thanks for the comments guys. Plan on getting my 5 speed back in. Have to replace the throw out bearing and figure out why the tranny doesn't spin the spedo cable. Gona put a 210 head I got from my friends dad on it and take the u67 head off. Want to put a l20b in it down the road after I find one with dual su's. Probablt get the dual su's before I put it the l20b. Maybe lower it a couple of inches later on. Also really want to get shoulder belts on it but don't have the spot drilled out or threaded for it. It's just blank. If anyone has done it let me know what you did. Really don't want to eat my stearing wheel if I get in an accident.

• 2 months later...

Ordered king pins for my truck. Going to be replacing them soon. Got to look into how to do it more before while I wait for them to ship. Ordered the culture set off ebay for 56 dollars shipped. Lithia Nissan in Eugene couldn't get them so he printed off a picture of the kit for me with a part number for carquest. Called carquest and they had them in Cal for 179 dollars plus freight and you have to pay up front.

• 1 month later...

Just picked up an l20b from Siqx20 today. Probably basic rebuild on it. Maybe l18 pistons or peanut head. Nothing too fancy right now. Going to be doing my kingpins this week or next. Depends on when my reemer gets here. Also gona replace idler arm and get new bushings for the front end. Just got to find out where to get them. And the trolling begins.

Its got a w58 head. Manifold looks like a square port but I havnt been able to crack into it. Had to go to work after I picked it up. Going to do a compression test. Maybe re-ring and new bearings, ka oil pump, timing kit, water pump. I got a u67 head on my l16 that I can mess with later when I get some side drafts. But I just got a weber so im gona stick with that for awhile. Just want a good dependable engine right now. Dont need anything fancy.

Got my l20 unloaded and the first thing I do is take the head off. Completly forgot that it would probably be a good idea to do a compression test before I do that. On anothet note 1 and 4 cylindet walls are fine. #2 has two slight, verticle lines in it that my finger nail kinda catches on. #3 has some horizontal marks that go around the cylinder wall about an inch or so down. Some decent carbon build up but nothing too extreem. Didnt really look into all that much. Might do some more before work tomorrow. Would post up some pics but my phone is not letting me take pictures and I have no computer.

Yeah I knew the timing cover ones are different. Pretty sure the set comes with both lengths. Ill see what the box says for the headgasket once im home. Are you going to be coming down to Eugene in the next month or two? Or would you rather just ship the oil pump?

"normally" a kit will have a headgasket that fits an L20.... but i did get a kit once that was L16/18 only 

shipping would be "faster" but im sure ill be coming back sooner than later just dont have any trips planned... 

Got my l20 unloaded and the first thing I do is take the head off. Completly forgot that it would probably be a good idea to do a compression test before I do that. On anothet note 1 and 4 cylindet walls are fine. #2 has two slight, verticle lines in it that my finger nail kinda catches on. #3 has some horizontal marks that go around the cylinder wall about an inch or so down. Some decent carbon build up but nothing too extreem. Didnt really look into all that much. Might do some more before work tomorrow. Would post up some pics but my phone is not letting me take pictures and I have no computer.

IMO, if theres any "abnormal" wear you should hone the block and replace rings and bearings. I spent $175ish on new rings and bearings for my KA 

Thats what I figured. Is rockauto a good place to get rings and bearings? Are they the right parts? Going to measure the bore and bearings to see what I need. Might take it to a machine shop. Never built up a bottom end before but ive done everything else. Going to do some searching on that stuff and look for some good rings and bearings.

a bottom end is one of those things i REFUSE to cheap out on, with that said i dropped my block off with my machinist and asked to have the crank and cylinders measured when he was done so i knew what parts to buy, then bought all sealed power brand internals 

E6409FB4-B401-430E-AF0D-8BB78F1798CC-977

i could have had the same parts but different brands for a total of $65......

but IMO you get what you pay for 

Sweet thanks for all the help man. I defanitly do not want to cheap out on engine parts. I want this motor to last with out any worries down the road. Got to get my king pins done first. Reemer should be here tomorrow and ill probably start doing it Thursday. Hopefully I can do it in two days and not run into any set backs and wait for parts. Doing idle arm too. Want to do disk brake swap before I drop in my l20 so I can stop better. My brakes suck right now and need some work. Just dont want to spend money on drums to go to disks in a couple months.