My 1971 521

Dalesun

Picked up this 1971 521 Saturday. It has 126,000 miles on it. Newer paint on it, 5 speed, little rust. Runs and drives good. Got it at a used car lot in Springfield, OR. The person that owned it before the dealership did restoration work on it. He mostly got most of the rust off of it and painted under the truck. Speedometer, fuel, and temp gauge don't work. Right wheel cylinder is bad and the tranny needs to be repaired. Other than that it is in good condition.

dalesun1Custom.jpg

DSC01730Small.jpg

DSC01722Small.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice find!

You might need this.

521wires.jpg

Grounding the sender wire for both the fuel gauge, and the temp gauge should cause the respective gauge to read "full" or "hot"

if both gauges quit working, commonly it is the gauge voltage regulator, on the back of the printed circuit board of the combo meter.

it is the rectangular thing in this picture.

Meter.jpg

Here is the pin out of the meter.

Pinout.jpg

With the combo meter out of the truck, you can apply 12 volts to "Ign power in", (7:00)  and ground "ground" (10:00).  Then grounding "temp sender" or "Fuel sender" will cause that gauge to read full.

If both the odometer, and speedometer do not work, probably a broken speedometer cable.

• Like 1

dealer might still have speedo cable.

Wht i do is disconnect the cable at the dash and route it so I can see the square end. drive truck. if dont spin its the cable. pull out from the trans and pull the cable out. hopefully its broke. If not then the pinion jammed up. loosen that 10mm bolt and get a Visegrip and good calmp type pliers and pull the pinion out. and most like the plastic gear is broke or the shaft inside is jammed up.

temp and gas gause is the little volt reg in back of the instrument cluster. I can get my skinny hand in there and touch it on my 521 and get it working again.

as for the trans whats wrong? I never taken one out of a 521 myself. I pulled the whole motor . was a pain. dont want to do it again.

Thank you for the info DanielC. It will come in handy.

And the tranny makes this scrreching noise when in gear. Does it worse if I try to engine brake or I'm not giving it any gas in gear. Once I give it more gas it get qiueter but doesn't go away. Sounds like it is one of the bearings. Going to pull it out and put my 4 speed from my 620 in it and rebuild the 5 speed that's in it now.. Haven't had enough time to check out everything yet. Going to do it tomorrow on my day off. Also going to take some more pictures of it and get those posted up.

Thank you for the info DanielC. It will come in handy.

And the tranny makes this scrreching noise when in gear. Does it worse if I try to engine brake or I'm not giving it any gas in gear. Once I give it more gas it get qiueter but doesn't go away. Sounds like it is one of the bearings. Going to pull it out and put my 4 speed from my 620 in it and rebuild the 5 speed that's in it now.. Haven't had enough time to check out everything yet. Going to do it tomorrow on my day off. Also going to take some more pictures of it and get those posted up.

If it has a 5 speed swap in it now, you should measure it from where it bolts on the engine to the end of the tailshaft, if the doner tranny and what you have in the truck are not the same length, it will not work without modifications, longer/shorter driveline, different transmission mount, ect.

BTW, quit driving/running the engine while the tranny is making noise before it self destructs, but maybe it already has, there is a point where it destroys the case and is then not rebuildable.

• 2 months later...

Ordered new wheel studs all the way around for my truck from rock auto. Also got the bearing tool to put them in with. Ordered new lug nuts as well. Both my studs and lug nuts were not in the best of condition on my truck. The back passeger side were really bad and one is completly stripped where the lug nut would be so it won't even tighten. Should be here by tuesday. Gone do them on weds or friday when I have a day off. Got to get them done before Canby!!! Already asked for sunday off from work so I'm going sat when I get out of work or saturday evening.

• 2 weeks later...

been trying to find a voltage regulator for my gauge cluster and can't find one in town yet. Does anyone know were to get one for a 521. I have one from a 74 620 but it hhas 3 wires and don't know if they are copatible or how I would wire it up. Got it hooked up ohms style to see how much gas I got for now.

when you pull the dash out but still hooked up to the multi pin plug the left side of the can. the connection is 12volts. then the right is the output.

the metal tab that screws down is the ground.

You can ck this wilth a volt meter. just reach your hand up there and unscrew the speedo cable. then pull the dash out so you can se the back of it.

turn the key on off and youll see the left side is the 12volt power.

youll need to ground your meter good. so you know it will read correctly.

aguy on here had a piture of the eleltronic chip with 3 wires that looked like it would do the trick but i didnt have the photo. useing a 9 volt chip LM09 or something like that.

• 1 month later...