The real cost of a cheap "daily driver" datsun

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought my truck fully expecting to replace erm everything (and thats sort of holding true so far), thats what any vehicle from before the 90s gets you, a down payment on a lifetime of work, but i love my truck, its my truck and when i say mine, for once i mean it, the longer i own it the more and more it stops resembling a nissan and it becomes my setup instead of theirs.

and besides for example this truck would cost $17,000 if it were for sale in 2013 (if anything the closest living relative is the frontier and look how much it is), i would never own this truck in 1986 if it were new, because idk about anyone else on here but i dont exact have a personal money tree thats in full bloom (not that anything would grow in that garden of mine anyways, even the weeds complain)

so slowly i will have a truck thats better than new, because in the end its my truck, it wont make sense to anyone else, but thats why its mine.

Whether or not i eventually spend $17,000 on it is subject to debate, but at least this truck allows micropayments ;)

IMG_20130312_221353.jpg Almost forgot the receipt oics. Notice it was all on the cheap. Harbor freight, vato zone, radio shack. Okay, one Mac receipt, but just for 48 bucks.

Vato Zone? I would assume that you live in California? Lol. My friend calls this place the same.

• 1 month later...

It all depends on where in the life cycle you buy the vehicle.  I have 3 vehicles, a  Datsun 1967 RL411, a Nissan 1980 240SX and an Infiniti 1997 J30T.  All bought new [The Infiniti was a corporate vehicle released for sale after Nissan lost interest in the J30 series] and carefully maintained mostly by myself with judicious reliance on dealer maintenance whilethe warranties were in effect.  So far, my 1967 RL411 has cost less in maintenance [discounting my labor cost which doesn't count in insurance computation] than it cost me to buy it for $1700 [uS].  Granted $1700 now equates to about $6000 in the current currency market, but I didn't buy it as an investment, I bought it because I wanted it and my 5 foot 10 wife could reach all the controls and pedals [and it was my favorite taxi cab in the Tokyo and Yokohama area].  I still consider my 1967 RL411 to be the best car I ever bought!

we found my son's first car, a 72 1200 coupe for $250 delivered, not knowing if it would run or drive, interior gutted, on 2 flat tires. it would have been cheaper and faster to buy him a $3500 car, but would have robbed him of the experience of bringing his car back to life.  we (mostly him) have spent countless hours on it ( i stopped adding up receipts) to get it road worthy with almost as much down time as road time. but the level of pride he has from doing the work himself, and the knowledge gained by going through it all, is something that money can't buy, it has to be earned.

he respects and appreciates his car more than any other kid who is just handed keys, or even works and buys their own car, and understands the value and sacrafice it takes. sometimes it does suck to always be working on cars instead of doing other things, but it's worth it when you see someone checking out your ride, or stop and talk to you about it, or tell you their grandfather had the same truck or that was like their first car, etc...

anyone can go buy a honda accord or whatever newer car. it takes someone special to drive a datsun.....it's a badge of honor.

• Like 2

I think the "real cost"  depends a lot on how you define "real cost".

Is it the cost to get a "project" running, or can you separate out "restoration" costs, from daily driving costs?

I have been driving my project that I bought as a parts truck in April of 2011 for about three weeks now.   I have spent about 170.00 on it for parts, and a front end alignment, and about $65.00 on gas, and have driven about 400 miles so far.

This is the project.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/30606-my-ratsun-datsun-521/page-13

It appears that I can drive Ratsun about 200 miles before the gas tank needs to be filled.  Before I was driving Ratsun, I was using a Ford Aerostar as a daily driver, and it too can go about 200 miles before it needs to be filled.  But the Datsun has a 10 gallon fuel tank, the Aerostar a 20 gallon tank.

The old rule of thumb, dating back to the 1947 VW was 200 miles of city driving and 4 hours of freeway driving [provided you took a pee break at 2 hours].   Seems to be a modern approximation.  BTW, the 1947 VW didn't have a fuel gauge, it had an "oops" lever that you pulled when you drove to the empty point, and then pulled the lever and had about a liter of fuel to find the nearest gas station.  Some rules of thumb are still valid.  Manufacturers are reducing weight wherever they can, the gas tank size is an obvious target.

my '75 B210 technically cost me $4,000 to get, but for the sake of argument, we'll say $1500. drove it home, noticed the milkshake on the inside of the valve cover, but clean oil and head. THE headbolt was broken, so I robbed it off of my spare A15 ($free). New(ish) reman carb has a horrible internal vacuum leak so I robbed the one off of the Cricket and kitted it ($20) Had a headlight out, got some off of eBay ($22) . Needed a radiator cap and coolant ($20). Hoses on top of fuel tank were split and leaking, bought the super-duper Gates hoses ($30) Seats were horrible (Even new they sucked) so I got some celica seats off of Craigslist ($50). alt belt (delco 10si) ($5). Paint for grille ($10). Air and fuel filters ($10) Paint for 'Killer Bee' ($15). TAGS ($80)

So not too bad yet. I traded a built Chrysler for it as I couldn't afford to drive it and needed a commuter car. This will be my 10th B210 as well as few 310s, 210s, a 610, a '68 510, multiple 520s and 521s......

my '75 B210 technically cost me $4,000 to get, but for the sake of argument, we'll say $1500. drove it home, noticed the milkshake on the inside of the valve cover, but clean oil and head. THE headbolt was broken, so I robbed it off of my spare A15 ($free). New(ish) reman carb has a horrible internal vacuum leak so I robbed the one off of the Cricket and kitted it ($20) Had a headlight out, got some off of eBay ($22) . Needed a radiator cap and coolant ($20). Hoses on top of fuel tank were split and leaking, bought the super-duper Gates hoses ($30) Seats were horrible (Even new they sucked) so I got some celica seats off of Craigslist ($50). alt belt (delco 10si) ($5). Paint for grille ($10). Air and fuel filters ($10) Paint for 'Killer Bee' ($15). TAGS ($80)

So not too bad yet. I traded a built Chrysler for it as I couldn't afford to drive it and needed a commuter car. This will be my 10th B210 as well as few 310s, 210s, a 610, a '68 510, multiple 520s and 521s......

Welcome to the wonderful world of old Datsuns! They are still worth the effort to keep them going!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Very good point!

I drove my truck home, but it needed at lot to be get it to daily status.  Once I addressed what it needed I could have left it at that, but I didn't. 

I went to four wheel disc brakes, which gave me a lot more confidence to drive it a lot harder.  That resulted in the blowing up the old motor.

I won't go on-and-on with the series of events, but I have to wonder - if I kept it stock and took it easy, would it have lasted longer (A. yes)

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the upgrades.  My point is, one thing leads to another.   Next thing you know you've spent a lot.

I scored a nice dash pad that I'm getting prepped for installation.  It only increases my cost, but doesn't really do anything else.

It all depends on the vehicle.  Some cry out for any improvement at any cost because the basic performance sucks!  Others were designed from the start to be good or even excellent performers.  I bought my RL411 new because I had ridden the basic 411 taxi cabs in Tokyo for several years and a friend of mine had campaigned the Roadster with the 1600cc engine for several years in Japan.  I recognized a good engineering design as soon as I saw it, and the basic engineering for the conversion was coordinated with the Torrance racing team master mechanic.  Plus, my wife could fit into it without several back pillows!  Add an excellent Briitish Borg Warner automatic transmission and it was all I could ask for.  I have kept it in as close to factory condition as 46 years will allow [and have kept every part of the original I have replaced so that I could restore it to show room condition if I so desired, even to the original spark plugs and their wires].  Bottom line, if properly designed and built there is nothing wrong with Datsun factory engineering!  Before Nissan moved their headquarters to Kentucky they were stationed in Torrance and most of their exchange Japanese engineers lived in my Rancho Palos Verdes neighborhood.  My garage was a "must see" when one engineer left and was giving their replacement a neighborhood tour.

As a new car I am sure your RL411 made a  great daily driver (it's cool you've cared for it so well) ...

... but now, as a 46 year old car, how does it hold up to daily use - or - is it no longer your daily driver?

Holding up just fine!  Preventive maintenance goes a long way.  It shares the daily driver routine with my 240Sx and J30T.  I drive it at least twice a week.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I started to daily drive Ratsun in August, and it is now almost the end of December, and have driven Ratsun about 1900 miles.  Here is where I am in Ratsun's thread.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/30606-my-ratsun-datsun-521/page-16?do=findComment&comment=1003644

My other post in the "daily driver cost" thread is on page three.   I think if you keep your Datsun close to stock, and take reasonable care of it, an old Datsun can be pretty reliable.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I usually add up everything I spend less transients (oil changes, gas, car washes) just parts and labor

If you keep your car running for 46 years, you can usually ignor "labor" since you have done it yourself.  "When your car is older than the mechanic assigned to work on it, you know you are in trouble!"

• 2 weeks later...

All these stories sound oh to familiar. But I did make it. My first 2 510's were undrivable,so they were towed.

3rd one was bought off of ebay for 6500.  Bought it in San Diego, guy said it could be driven, so I drove it home to Atlanta, GA. Only a few hiccups on the way. Definitely a small set of tools should of been the first stop before hitting the road would of saved a ton of grief. First the dang throttle cable popped off at a gas station. I needed a set of allens to fix that. Next I had shoddy wiring for headlights, they would come on when they want. I had do the jiggle if they turned off at night. only other thing was I hit a nail and got a flat in louisiana. Not to bad for a datsun. After fixing all the little issues. I ended up dailying it a whole year in Atlanta putting close to 25k on the motor, 40 miles one way. 

Next one I bought was a 620, guy said it would drive home. I get about 10 miles down the road and the dang thing starts smoking. Tranny died 2 miles later. It was bone dry 5 speed. Had to get it towed. I guess we've all been there. Datsun's can be reliable but just like any old car. They need maintenance probably more than 90's daily drivers.