cylinder 3-4 misfire

r0p0doe

Guest 510kamikazifreak
By all means loosen the cam sprocket bolt, just do NOT remove it yet. Now set TDC. If you set TDC and wedge the chain it can come loose or the motor will bump when trying to loosen the cam bolt.

tip

Slip a large screwdriver or bar through the cam sprocket hole and turn it until jammed against the head to keep it from turning when loosening.

I was "assuming" the cam bolt will be loosened already................,but we all know about that term :rofl:

And I agree with the "tip"

Do NOT use Vice grips on cam shaft...I saw someone do this,and well... :poke:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By all means loosen the cam sprocket bolt, just do NOT remove it yet. Now set TDC. If you set TDC and wedge the chain it can come loose or the motor will bump when trying to loosen the cam bolt.

tip

Slip a large screwdriver or bar through the cam sprocket hole and turn it until jammed against the head to keep it from turning when loosening.

I was "assuming" the cam bolt will be loosened already................,but we all know about that term :rofl:

And I agree with the "tip"

Do NOT use Vice grips on cam shaft...I saw someone do this,and well... :poke:

Grip around those square nubs and it won't slip.

Thanks for advice and tips guys, cam bolt has been loosened but I'm not sure if its tdc because it isn't pointing where the spark plug wire 1 was

Turn crank until #1 cam lobes are both pointing up with intake at 10:00 and exhaust at 2:00 as viewed from the front. Now look at the timing scale (usually down on the alternator side) and bring the notch on the middle pulley up to the 0 (zero) on the scale.

Guest 510kamikazifreak
Grip around those square nubs and it won't slip.

I like my nibs round...wait what..

I have seen cams crack from this(few and far,but have seen it)

I know it's not a major task to you guys but iv'e never had to go this far into fixing a car so im nervous especially since I don't have any Lseries datto guys there to help, dont mind getting down to work on my car but if it's unfamiliar territoy im hesitant.This should be the last thing I have to do before shes back on the road so I don't wanna screw it up

:thumbup:

you will be fine.

Just take your time, no one of us wasnt a first timer.

I'm trying to but at the same time I want/need her up and running, I have no car at the moment and I want to finish this so I can give my mom her gas guzzling truck back that iv'e been using for work

Guest 510kamikazifreak
I'm trying to but at the same time I want/need her up and running, I have no car at the moment and I want to finish this so I can give my mom her gas guzzling truck back that iv'e been using for work

It really is only a day job at the most.

But if you need to get the head resurfaced, have to allow time for that

It really is only a day job at the most.

But if you need to get the head resurfaced, have to allow time for that

Once the head is pulled I'll be able to get a better look at what's going on and be able to tell the machine shop exactly what I need done. Re-assembly of the head is no biggie I think lol. Once its back on I'm golden from there

you can't hurry these things up, unless of course your in the middle of the no where and you have to rig something quick to get it running.  But take your time, there's ppl. in this site that has done this many times and you need to marinate on their expertise or else the emotions take over and you more than likely mess it up more.

• Like 1
you can't hurry these things up, unless of course your in the middle of the no where and you have to rig something quick to get it running.  But take your time, there's ppl. in this site that has done this many times and you need to marinate on their expertise or else the emotions take over and you more than likely mess it up more.
Yes, just make sure you do NOT, pull the cam towers....

If you do they should be rebored..(line bored)

Yea it probably will be a few more weeks before she's done my sisters move screwed up my whole week to work on her. I'm sure all my patience and time will def pay off when she's done, I already got a slight taste of her thrills to come

Guest 510kamikazifreak

The most important things to remember is mark the Timing gear and chain, TDC, clean surfaces well, torque head bolts in stages(per specs,some bolts have a higher torque rating,ones with circle around the hex portion are a bit higher that the non circled ones)

the rest will just fall in place,and Ratsun is here..

• Like 1

I see this is a Z22 block with 87mm bore. It also looks like you used an L20B head gasket which has a 85mm bore. The gasket's metal fire ring is going to be exposed to the extreme heat and corrosion of the combustion chamber. This will erode it and can easily lead to it blowing. Get a Z22 or Z24 head gasket and graft the L series front onto it around the timing chain. It's not a crucial area and only holds oil spray and fumes in and nothing under pressure..

The head only needs milling if it needs it. This set up is already good for 9.84 compression and that looks like a closed chamber head so make that 10.48, the last thing you need is more. If a closed chamber head it's likely an A87.  Either way it's odd to use a round port header. Get a straight edge and place diagonally across the head in two places like an X. If you can slip a 0.004" feeler gauge under it at any place it will need resurfacing.

I see this is a Z22 block with 87mm bore. It also looks like you used an L20B head gasket which has a 85mm bore. The gasket's metal fire ring is going to be exposed to the extreme heat and corrosion of the combustion chamber. This will erode it and can easily lead to it blowing. Get a Z22 or Z24 head gasket and graft the L series front onto it around the timing chain. It's not a crucial area and only holds oil spray and fumes in and nothing under pressure..

Thanks for that insight, I was just going to ask about that now I don'y have to lol.I hope theres nothing wrong in the cylinder we forgot to do a leak down test :(

• 2 years later...