cylinder 3-4 misfire

r0p0doe

Finally got to test drive my car yesterday after working on it for 3 weeks, misfired a few times but now its running rough and not on all 4cylinders. 1-2 are fine I checked them after I started it 3-4 had a lot of carbon build up. Car is still in the process of being tuned. Going to check compression and see if the wires are even giving out a spark to thoes cylinders. I'll probably just change plugs and wires because they've been sitting in the car for 6yrs. I want to pin point exactly what's going on before I go to the parts shop. Am I missing anything to find what's going on? All tips are appreciated....

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I think may have screwed it up, going to check compression on 3-4 I dried it up but its still rough and there's black smoke instead of white.... I really hope I don't have to tear it down to fix it

Burnt valves to be exact and this is were it gets hard for me, when it comes to working inside the motor I have no skills

How did you get the head off in half an hour??

i WOULD CK THE VALVE LASH FIRST BEFORE PULLING THE HEAD OFF.

remember loosen the cam bolt up first then set it to TDC then take everything off and use the timming chain wedge.

PS mark the chain also on what Cam timming it is. in the 2 o clock postion.

watch the vid.

cyl 3 and 4 mine are that black also.

since 3&4 use the same carb I think it would be jetting issue if anything to even worry about.

Question

Whats the zap strap for?

Its a L20b cam(small square bumps approx mid point)

There is conflicting info on Cams U20 to be sepecefic

Thanks for that info, umm the zip tie was to kind of keep the chain in place when we were going to pull it before wedging the chain so it didnt fall but we didn't get to it today. I dont like that idea, im taking it off tomorrow and getting a wedge

Guest 510kamikazifreak

The chain wont fall no where until the bolt is loose,

before that point make sure you mark the chain and gear.

If you take it off before wedging, whole new can of worms to sort

USE  the wedge!!

Do NOT loosen the Cam gear bolt until then!!

• Like 1
The chain wont fall no where until the bolt is loose,

before that point make sure you mark the chain and gear.

If you take it off before wedging, whole new can of worms to sort

USE  the wedge!!

Do NOT loosen the Cam gear bolt until then!!

Ok, I want to do it the way you guys have advised. I get scared when ppl helping try to do otherwise since the whole disturbutor incident

Guest 510kamikazifreak
Ok, I want to do it the way you guys have advised. I get scared when ppl helping try to do otherwise since the whole disturbutor incident

Dont fear a L head gasket, They are the easiest to do.

Think lego,it really is that simple.

:thumbup:

By all means loosen the cam sprocket bolt, just do NOT remove it yet. Now set TDC. If you set TDC and wedge the chain it can come loose or the motor will bump when trying to loosen the cam bolt.

tip

Slip a large screwdriver or bar through the cam sprocket hole and turn it until jammed against the head to keep it from turning when loosening.