Couple 620 questions if you guys don't mind...

AZhitman

Searched a bit, but didn't really find what I was looking for...

I recently got a '77 and a '79 620.  The '79 is a parts truck.  If I wanted to convert the '77 to front discs, can I source the parts from my '79, or do I need to do some custom work?

Also, what limits the tailgate opening?  Was there a chain or something on the 620's?

Thanks guys.  

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the discussion has been had before as far as the brakes go, and the general consensus seemed to be that it would take more time/fab skills then it's really worth to get it all right. It's deff not a bolt in swap. 

As far as the tailgate, all I've ever seen is chains on any 620. 

The UCA being at a different angle is not the only issue, you can put the UCAs on the wrong side to get the balljoint back to where it needs to be, but the arms are not long enough, they need to be lengthened 3/4 of an inch, at least on the 521 they do.

Believe me when I say you do not want to go down this road, to be done right there is a lot more that needs to be changed than just the 620 disc brake/balljoint parts.

I have had mine fall apart so many times that I have lost count, imagine going down the freeway at 70mph and having to touch the brakes because someone in front of you did, and having the UCA bolts break, then the front end of the truck dives into the ground, and you wonder if this is the day, I have had them break at 30mph, one can only guess what would happen at 70mph, BTW only one bolt broke that time and it was still ugly.

If you want to do it, I can tell you exactly how to do it without issues I BELIEVE, but I have never really did everything that should have been done, as I have learned over the last 6 or 8 years what should have been done after the fact, I also don't know what part the power steering has played in this scenario. 

Sure.  After I pull the harness, and everything else that comes with doing a frame-off.  :)

Plus, the parts truck I have (the '79 has some janky shit done to the crossmember... welded crap).

To me getting all the benefits, is worth the effort of using 720 frames, disc brakes/vented rotors, balljoints, power steering, removable transmission cross member, and over the counter parts being available.

I can remove a complete wiring harness out of a 720 truck in less than 2 hours with every component connected to it, but it will take just a little longer to put it back in, but I don't remove any wiring to lift a cab, I only remove the bench seat, I just disconnect the rest of it, but I do remove the radiator, it's not worth taking the chance.

Hmmmm.  Ok, now my interest is sparked.

So, a 720 KC chassis under my '77 620?  Did you swap the L20b into the 720 frame, or did you keep the 720 running gear as well?

Wonder if there's a thread or "how-to" on this.  Might be worth the effort then!

Why does the harness even need to be pulled? As long as it is disconnected from the chassis the harness it should be able to just stay in the body. The rear harness would have to be pulled but thats an easy one.

I am new to the 620 scene but have my fair share of other body offs in the past. Unless I am missing something 620 specific a body swap should be fairly straight forward.

Just make sure you remember the more paint protection the better. Blue tape the whole damn cab if you need to. LOL

Hmmmm.  Ok, now my interest is sparked.

So, a 720 KC chassis under my '77 620?  Did you swap the L20b into the 720 frame, or did you keep the 720 running gear as well?

Wonder if there's a thread or "how-to" on this.  Might be worth the effort then!

I keep the diesel running gear if I am using the diesel frame, but when I used the 1986 720 frame for the 520 project, I had to make my own engine mounts for the L20b, but it only took a couple hours with the cab off the frame, I think the hardest part is making the cab mounts for the inside of the cab, the front two core support mounts on the 720 frames match the 521 mounts exactly, as the wheels center themselves in the front fender wells, they do on the 521, I have not a clue about the 620, but the cab mounts can take a long time to make, depending on how complicated you decide to make the job, my first kingcab was complicated, but it is quiet, the 520 is noisy, not sure why yet.

The 1980 datsun 720 came with an L20b, and the hardbody disc brake hardware will bolt right into that front suspension, so that one is a fairly simple drivetrain install with no mods for a brake upgrade.

There is a lot more involved with a 720 frame, but the 1979 620 frame is a simple swap if they are both the same kind of cab, now if one is a kingcab, and the other a regular cab, that's a different story.

It's time to go to sleep, I have to work in the morning, I will respond to any questions tomorrow afternoon if there are any.

Couldn't you just use an 80 720 frame? That would get you all of the benefits and already have L20b mounts on it..

Sure, that frame is going to be a little harder to find, but worth it.

Yes it is the easiest for an L20b cab swap, as it is capable of all the upgrades without any mods, the only thing I am not sure of is the length of the 720 standard cab verses the 620 standard cab dementions, or the 720 kingcab verses 620 kingcab wheel base either.

The width isn't the issue, it's the length, that is why the kingcab frame is my favorite frame of choice, I just stick the cab on the frame, stick the box I am going to use on the frame, then the gap in the middle between the cab and box is what I ad to the cab, it's the easiest way to make a kingcab.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Great info, thanks a ton, Wayne.  :)

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a '79 620 frame, but for now, I think I'll just refurbish the drum brakes and drive the hell out of her.  :)