The forgotten Beige 69 510 build *Pics fixed through page 16*

Draker

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

go to a different office and forge the bill of sale, ive done it when all i have is the title 

This.

Switch offices after writing your own bill of sale. You may have to go to a larger one with a longer line, but I bet that that waiting will still be far easier than the effort needed to get a real bill of sale. 

Does Oregon have the privately owned offices like WA?  That is probably the most amazing God-send this state has.... The people there actually seem to enjoy their job, and are actually pleasant to work with and beyond helpful. 

lulz...

I felt like a dick buying it.. but this is how the conversation went at the local parts store.

Me: "Do you have anything other than this Fram filter?"

Employee: "No, that's it."

Me: "Okay.............   :sick: :sick: "

I had 2 options, old used filter from the 80's or a Fram.

I had to do the oil change before fired it up... But the used 80's OEM filter could have still been better. lulz..   But I assure you all, filter comes off and oil will be changed again before this thing see's the road and it was a the best I could do in a pinch. I did the walk of shame out of Kenecht's...  

So... today with the help of ftlallday and levigideon we made some good progress on the dime.

First thing was first, I replaced all the fuses with new. the engine would turn over but not fire... I say I found I had spark from the coil, but none at the plugs. I pulled the cap to inspect the points... As soon I pulled the cap I saw the points.. and everything looked good. But the problem was Pulling the cap you probably shouldn't be looking directly at the points... It appears that somewhere over the last 2 decades someone had removed the rotor.. Security measure maybe?

With a quick phone call to the local parts store and $6 bux later I had the rotor. I met up with ftlallday and levigideon to help with a flat tire situation and later they came over to help try to get the dime started. Being all the fuel lines were completely cracked and rotted, we cut them up to make two short lengths to run to a cup of fuel and sure as shit, after a ton of cranking she fired right up! Not only did it fire up but it idled pretty good too.. lol. Not bad.. 

Super stoked!!

Sorry no pictures of the car... only cause a running car looks the same as a non-running one.

But.... after poking around the car we were talking about some of the options this dime bad and I was showing Zach and Levi the kick panel had a pocket, which I had not seen before.. Then I was like, wait.. there is somethig in the pocket.. wtf?

I dig in and I pull out a few pieces of paper..   If you rememer in an earlier post, I found an REI receipt from 1980.. This tops it.

DSC_1039_zpsff573207.jpg

It's faded, but this is what it reads:

University Of Portland

Engineers Club

Presents

Annual

SPRING RALLY

Friday April, 25 1969 at U of P

Enterance Fee: $2.50           -YSR-

Trophies & Prizes:

Dash Plaque for all cars

ALL S.O.P.  (Seat Of Pants)  

(Watches, Pencil, and Flashlights)

So, basically.. this car was brand new and doing road rallys? What exactly was this rally? Well there were a few more clues.. litterally.

DSC_1046_zps39e8507b.jpg

The text reads:

CHECKPOINT SUPPLEMENT

We welcome you to the first checkpoint. If you have hit any other

checkpoints before this one, boy did you blow it. The course gets

more interesting. Keep up the good work. Oh by the way, you are

still looking for R.I. No. 21.

d35ec6db-db5e-4d7f-98f3-b63267087255_zps

Second note reads:

CHECKPOINT SUPPLEMENT

Hi there. Glad to see you are still with us. Now that last half

wasn't so bad. Things could get worse. Keep your wits about you.

This is your second of 6,000 checkpoints on the rally. It's not

necessary to stop at all of them. Just the ones with the checkpoint

signs. For those of you who are wondering you are looking for R.I. No. 38.

Those are the only two checkpoint supplements I found in the car... I wonder if he ever finished the rally? I've got the owners address... and I know who ran the rally.. I know because of this:

Rally Registration:

DSC_1042_zpsa3d9f70d.jpg

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

I have also tentatively decided that I am going to either buy a can of paint the factory color or a quart of it and spray it for now. Fix the surface rust and paint over it the same color for now. The paint is actually still glossy so I know it will shine up nice.

• 2 weeks later...

There are tons of filters that fit the L motors.  Ford Motorcraft FL1A for instance is bigger and you can find the compatible filter in many different brands.  Zero reason to settle for a crappy fram.

tumblr_mmo27cuGxg1rdzuduo4_400.gif

No.. way.......!  Thanks for taking the time and to cut and past that from the various places datsunmike has posted it.

• Like 3

So you want to hook a '69 brother up with a new fuel line as well? ^_^

It's not too bad man. I just got two 6ft lengths from carquest and a union. Went to town with a harbor freight line bender. Hour or 2 later, it was done. Total cost including the tool, $30.