The forgotten Beige 69 510 build *Pics fixed through page 16*

Draker

Yeah, I was mostly telling other guys since you have it covered on your end. I just downloaded a basic cad program to start tinkering with. You have a nice design.

• Like 1
  • Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only issue I've found so far is I missed a fillet in the face plate model, as a result the face plate doesn't lay flat. I'll change the face plate model to fix this, and I'll just dremmel the support leg down to make a manual fillet. Other than that, it turned out better than I expected.

20160304_112430_zpsb7lliw2v.jpg

20160304_112333_zps3klnbym3.jpg

20160304_112305_zpsbcffbg93.jpg

20160304_112247_zpsh6d1bgrv.jpg

• Like 6

I'm happy to say, it fits nice. I bought the gauges today so those should be here within the next two weeks.. I hope. That will give me time to work this piece a bit make it match the car a bit better.

20160304_183734_zpske0yhkut.jpg
20160304_183629_zpsqu8rjbio.jpg
  • Like 6

Really cool idea! I'm quite interested in the potential of 3D printed parts. Any idea how stable this kind of plastic is in the sun or in high temperatures? It's be sweet to be able to make OEM looking custom dash or interior parts etc this way. 

Really cool idea! I'm quite interested in the potential of 3D printed parts. Any idea how stable this kind of plastic is in the sun or in high temperatures? It's be sweet to be able to make OEM looking custom dash or interior parts etc this way. 

It's a valid concern. Temps in a car can get to about 140F (60C) or so. The PLA filament starts to get soft around 70-80C. So.. it's close.

I could print it with ABS, but there are some pros and cons of that too. Higher melting point though.. So we'll see. This is kind of a prototype. If I have issues, I have a few more ideas.

I've been looking into 3d printers for a while now.

One big thing I don't like is. The plastic. Plastic is fucking horrible.

There is some pretty cool carbon fiber printing going on now days that's really turning the corner.

Although I'm not a fan of the look, I do like the idea of not printing plastic. Having a dash or just about anything made out of carbon fiber would be sick!

It's a valid concern. Temps in a car can get to about 140F (60C) or so. The PLA filament starts to get soft around 70-80C. So.. it's close.

I could print it with ABS, but there are some pros and cons of that too. Higher melting point though.. So we'll see. This is kind of a prototype. If I have issues, I have a few more ideas.

If you upholstery it you instantly add insulation....possibly, make it match the dash pad.