The forgotten Beige 69 510 build *Pics fixed through page 16*

Draker

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sweet, now we can go cruise with Al and the gang!, we should do something next Saturday evening with all our local ratsuners!

I need to get some miles on it. Right now it's got about 50ft on the new engine.... and you filmed the whole thing.. lol. 

Also that accelerator pump is still leaking fuel.

• Like 1

I need to get some miles on it. Right now it's got about 50ft on the new engine.... and you filmed the whole thing.. lol. 

Also that accelerator pump is still leaking fuel.

Not planning going far, around town...

I bet the diaphragm is punctured, do you have an extra from the carb kit?, or even the old one if you replaced it?

Not planning going far, around town...

I bet the diaphragm is punctured, do you have an extra from the carb kit?, or even the old one if you replaced

I bet you're right. I just haven't had time to remove it. I thought tightening the screws fixed it, but it didn't. I'll take a look tonight if I have time. Also the old one is long gone. I found one online for $12 shipped. Not the worst price I guess.. also checking my local options.

• Like 1

My car is a 69. Bumper light is 68 only. I would totally rock it, but then I'd have to buy the 68 bumper too. $$ :)

I'll double check to make sure, but I think you just have to put a couple of holes in yours.  ;)

This time I'll likely just drop the tranny. Stabbing the engine to the tranny is tough when trying to clear the dust shield/plate over the center link.

Probably too late now, but if you ever have to do it again...

You can pull the bolts out of the idler arm. This takes only a few minutes and drops the center link down 2-3". Makes it much easier to install the engine/trans as a combo. 

I'll double check to make sure, but I think you just have to put a couple of holes in yours. ;)

Probably too late now, but if you ever have to do it again...

You can pull the bolts out of the idler arm. This takes only a few minutes and drops the center link down 2-3". Makes it much easier to install the engine/trans as a combo.

Wow.. duh.. great tip!

Here is the accel pump diaphragm. 

20150723_210245_zpsqiemqdhu.jpg

20150723_210053_zps0wwlrkaq.jpg

Idle set, timing set, carb tuned..   (still waiting for replacement diaphragm.)

20150726_134252_zpserdn0qjj.jpg

Re-wired clock. It actually works now and the illumination turns on and off with the headlights.

20150726_145737_zps8e5vbtba.jpg

20150726_145744_zpsqaysugvk.jpg

Edited by Draker
  • Like 3

Thanks. Yeah this one had about 400 miles on it. I bought a kit and replaced it. I'm bumming a replacement from a local guy. That should old me over until I get my SU's back from Ztherapy.

• Like 1
Hot compression numbers on rebuilt engine after 5 miles. Looks good!

20150729_185731_zpsb5ebsqwk.jpg

No more brown rust sludge.. I'll flush a bit more and actually put coolant in int.

20150729_191145_zpsrpx6kaqo.jpg

Plugs are looking good!

20150729_185718_zpsxvzql2po.jpg

Clock illumination!

20150728_193841_zpsul0pkgmk.jpg

Edited by Draker
  • Like 5
After swapping to the L20 I thought I should check hood clearance. Looked to close for comfort..

20150802_145010_zpsbja2mlsm.jpg

Slotted motor mounts. Only one pictured.. the other was ugly and not fit for public consumption.

20150802_161053_zps2aakgnqg.jpg

No post shots of clearance.. I fail. But lets just say I have a little more than double the clearance now.

Edited by Draker
  • Like 1
I got these really sweet floor mats from Al. (Denmarkboy)

I'll give them a bit of love and clean them up a bit. They are in good shape, just dusty. Thanks Al!

20150804_081259_zpsgg20cvp2.jpg

20150804_081249_zpstejeyojw.jpg

In preparation for Blue Lake and other activities I've been trying to get some miles on the engine. I am guessing I've got 100 miles on it so far.

20150803_171801_zpsgk1wdrib.jpg

Edited by Draker
  • Like 4

Well..... the week long shake down was going so well.. Until this morning. I started it this morning, let it warm up a bit. Hopped in and started ripping down the road.. Got about 6-10 blocks away from my house slowing down at a stoplight and it died. Like instantly died.. no sputter.

I tossed it into reverse and used the starter to get me parked next to the curb. Tough to diagnose when all you have is a flashlight and a stethoscope.

Found there was no spark. Walked home got some tools.. Found no continuity thought the matchbox terminals. Went home and grabbed spare matchbox and installed. Drive the car home.

So, yes, these things do just die.

Anyway, seems to be fine now, I'll check it more when I get home. I was only 3.5 hours late for work.

• Like 1

Checking condition of alternator and ignition system. Not sure how dwell is being calculated, or if it's just out of spec.

Alternator looks to be in good condition.

20150805_211922_zps27dgwyqn.jpg
20150805_205135_zpss11zvcbw.jpg
Edited by Draker
  • Like 1