The forgotten Beige 69 510 build *Pics fixed through page 16*

Draker

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alright.. here we go. L20 #2 rebuild started tonight.

First one has a clacking noise I can't find. I rebuilt(refreshed) it with rings, bearings, seals. Inspected and measured everything. I've been in the motor 2 times since then looking for issues. It looks great insude. Bearings look good.. everything appears to be in great shape.

Anyway.. thanks to Al, he tracked down an l20 short block. It appears to be solid, but needed tlc bad. It was wet, rusty.. dirty. So basically like all L20B motors. This one spent some time out in the moisture though.

Anyway.. there is an even on Sunday and it's game on. Again....

No time for pictures along the way.. I know Al will appreciate these pics of the current state.

20160412_231953_zpssqgc3yjk.jpg

20160412_232001_zpskr793ml4.jpg

• Like 2

I swear that thing sounds like a diesel Peugeot motor :sick: you sure you didn't pump diesel on your last fuel up???? :lol:

Best of luck getting her done for Sunday, brother, sorry I can't lend a hand, won't be back til Saturday evening and still got some work left on mine :(

• Like 2

I swear that thing sounds like a diesel Peugeot motor :sick: you sure you didn't pump diesel on your last fuel up???? :lol:

Best of luck getting her done for Sunday, brother, sorry I can't lend a hand, won't be back til Saturday evening and still got some work left on mine :(

Lol.. it did sounds like a diesel.

I got the block torn down. It really didn't look to bad inside. There was some rust in the cylinders so I hit them with ball hone and they came out okay. Some pitting on the walls still but it didn't seem terrible. I think the rings will seal just fine.

I hit all machined surfaces with a yellow roloc disc then wire brushed the block.. hit it with some high temp primer then, high temp black. 

Currently sourcing some bearings and rings. I think Al has a lock on some bearings locally.. still searching for rings.

• Like 1

Try ESP aka small world auto, they had rings in stock for L20b two years ago when I was looking for a kit...long shot, but...

Called, they didn't have them. Al's got a hookup but that will be here tomorrow morning.. kills about 4 hours of working time until then.. Unless I can find them in stock today

• Like 1

Well, not a lot of pictures unfortunately because I'm busy as shit, and I've got grease up to my elbows. The rings and bearings will be here today and I'll get those installed. 

Last night I got all the pistons cleaned up. The rings were seized into the lands.. it was tough to remove. But they are ready to accept new rings.

I measured the cylinder bores and pistons.. 6 measurements on each bore accurate to .0001". I also measured the pistons, and documented everything.

The end result, the block has surprisingly little wear in cylinder walls. The pistons were a little under the standard, but I didn't see a wear limit in the FSM. 

• Like 1

The head surface is pitted pretty bad from rust. Makes me a little nervous, but I'm charging ahead anyway. I'll see if I can clean it up really good with the roloc disk before the head gets bolted down. 

I hope to have the short block assembled tonight.. maybe even the head and timing components installed.. we'll see. I still need to take a few measurements on the crank.

• Like 1

Regarding the old motor, I called a few machine shops and I think I am going to drop it off for them to go through and diagnose the issue. Then have them give me their recommendations. I'm still bitter. I'll do this of course, after I get the new motor in there. 

and if the new motor makes noise too.... I will use the block as target practice and the KA is getting dusted off and installed.

• Like 3

lol.. chances are it's cursed too. Bought it from the same owner...  He's sitting up there laughing at my failures.. I just know it! 

There you go then....fucking cursed 69 if noise returns....sell it and build your 2 door.