what are my crossmember options?

king bee66

ive got an l20b and im really wanting to get it into my car,   i know that a 510/710 will go in, but what are my other, more available options.   i was at a yard the other day and someone had pulled the ka out of a s14 and left the crossmember, if i could work the s14 crossmember in there,  would the l bolt into it?  i realise that my b210control arms may not match, but ive got some 280zx struts im installing so maybe i could bolt in 280zx control arms?  

has anyone modified the b210 crossmember?  thats obviously another option

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The zx lca's are supported on the front and the back, as in they slide up into a pocket. I do have a 710 crossmember. It bolts right in, same as a 510. I had a 610 one that didnt line right up, but egged the holes out and it fit.or you can egg the b crossmember out and flip it. Then work some motor mounts and flip the lca mounts .

For what its worth, the b xmember is thicker and stronger than a 510 one. And the lca points are a little different than the other l4 xmembers, I have never messed with a 200sx crossmember. Maybe it would work.

i remember when you had posted about the 610 crossmembers not working, that why i didnt bring it up, plus where the hell would i find one? lol. 

ive had offers for people willing to sell me datsun crossmembers, but they are always from too far away and too pricey for me even w/o shipping.

someone on here is swapping an entire s13 front end suspension into a b, the holes arnt a perfect match but they can be made to work,  hes using the Ca motor though, so ive got no conformation on the mounts.  the crossmember looked pretty similar to the 710 one that ive seen in person, maybe ill go back to the yard take some pics and measurements and see what you guys think.   its just so tempting because the motor is already out :P

FWIW, the S13 crossmember is set up for a front sump pan also. You can get an L-series front sump pan but then the oil pan won't clear the sway bar. 

Also, the S13 has mounts for a steering rack that may be in the way of the stock steering linkage. 

Hate to say it, but a 510 crossmember and oil pan really are your best option. May have to just nut up and spend the cash to get one. It will make your life a lot simpler.  ^_^

I noticed the steering rack, its something that can be taken off. The deal is that I could either find a sway bar the can fit a front sump, or I locate and pay for a 510 x member, oilpan and pick up. Its not that I can't afford to do this, I just don't really want to. There is 720 at the yard with a naps motor, when I get a chance I'm going to look into that as well, unless someone can tell me that truck crossmembers can be swapped

Hate to say it, but a 510 crossmember and oil pan really are your best option. May have to just nut up and spend the cash to get one. It will make your life a lot simpler.  ^_^

I noticed the steering rack, its something that can be taken off. The deal is that I could either find a sway bar the can fit a front sump, or I locate and pay for a 510 x member, oilpan and pick up. Its not that I can't afford to do this, I just don't really want to. There is 720 at the yard with a naps motor, when I get a chance I'm going to look into that as well, unless someone can tell me that truck crossmembers can be swapped

DF already nailed it on the head here. You are going to waste more money and time trying to get another less-optimal solution going than just buying the right parts.  Anything that changes to a front sump is going to require a different swaybar and more work. You could modify the B210 crossmember, at this point it would be cutting the motor mount towers off and putting on towers from another donor or fabbing them yourself. But that is really your only potential savings, and would have the benefit of preserving the orginal lca mounting points.  Really your best solution is to just put together a WTB for a 510 crossmember and L16 oilpan with pickup.

edited per DF below

Edited by Dguy210
Really your best solution is to just put together a WTB for a 510/610 crossmember and L16 oilpan with pickup.

FYI, a 510 crossmember (and oil pan) is a bolt-in for the B210. 610 parts are not. 

And if you do NOT want to widen the track 1/2", you'll also need the 510 lower control arms. 

FYI, a 510 crossmember (and oil pan) is a bolt-in for the B210. 610 parts are not. 

And if you do NOT want to widen the track 1/2", you'll also need the 510 lower control arms. 

Thanks, I missed that initially. Edited per your comment.

is the mid sump 510 l16 pan really the only option?  or did any later datsuns use them

A 510 pan is unique and not shared by any other car.  :blush:

A 610/620 pan is very close, but the sump is about 1" too long and will hit the crossmember. 

If you are using an L16/L18, you can use a spacer under the motor mounts and use a 610/620 pan. But this won't work with an L20b (valve cover hits the hood). 

ok, so thats what im doing.  510 crossmember, 510 pan and pick up.   so next question.

stock rearend (for now)  and an l20b.   i believe i would need a stumpy tranny from an a10 in order to use my stock auto driveshaft, but is there a driveshaft i can use, if i use a 4spd from a 620?

next question.

stock rearend (for now)  and an l20b.   i believe i would need a stumpy tranny from an a10 in order to use my stock auto driveshaft, but is there a driveshaft i can use, if i use a 4spd from a 620?

In general, the 4spd and short-tail 5spd are the same length. So same driveshaft.  ;)

thats what i thought,   there is a guy here with a ca20 motor running a stock rearend that seems to run fine. 

thanks for the reassurance, ive got this h190 w/ disc brakes that i bought when i thought id someday do a ka24 swap, but i really dont think it would be worth the hassle for me to convert it to leafsprings and deal with the extreme negitive offset for just a 2 liter.