thats why i started this so i can learn these things i want my 510 to be set up for speed and turns but still able to drive everyday 

Cars are more than transportation. They can perform and they can handle. Preferably both. There is no feeling like pushing a car to it's limit, including it's handling limit. Both of these (handling and performance) are very good in the stock 510 but range up through insane when modifications are added. A modified car would sit closer to the ground, have wider tires, maybe a sway bar, and coil over springs.... all geared toward holding the road to increase handling. It may have a front chin spoiler for aerodynamics and through the larger mag spokes you can see larger front and rear calipers to improve braking. The car looks this way because of it's intended use. This is known as Form Follows Function.

Increasing the rear camber for looks is exactly the opposite. it's Form Over Function or looks over use, and always.... always results is a vehicle that is less than it was.
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thats why i started this so i can learn these things i want my 510 to be set up for speed and turns but still able to drive everyday 

Then say so. You've come to the right lace. Your first posts imply taking a great car and doing the opposite for 'looks'. When I see any camber but specially rear camber, it says to me that the owner has lowered the car and failed to correct the damage he has done to it because he... doesn't have a clue, doesn't care, is just lazy or is in love with his rims and is making the car bend to tuck them..... (I don't know which one is worse) There's no excuse for this as there are books and books on the subject and dozens of posts and project/build threads here on it, so it's well documented.

Even if you are not building your dream 510 you should know what to look for in a good example. True, a formula one driver doesn't have know how to build the car he races but he should know what changes affect the way it handles and he certainly doesn't ask the crew for more camber because it look good. Just sayin' 

Here's a properly slotted and adjustable rear cross member....

0227.JPG

0245.JPG

How long have you been looking?  Took me like several years to find mine and that was 12 years ago.  Be patient.  Write down and be specific of what type of Datsun 510 you really want and be real about how much you can spend and keep on looking.

• Like 1

Coming from experience make sure you have time, money, and mechanical knowledge before buying a 510. There not like these jdm honduhs and acuras. I bought my first 510 young and I enjoyed it but I didn't have time and resources to keep it in tip top shape so I had to sell it. Do research and make sure you have an idea of what you want to do and accomplish with it. It's a 40+ yr old car and things will break down on it, make sure you have a secondary car because using it as a daily isn't a good idea unless you can afford replacing parts and working on it when things go wrong.

Good point about having a second car and may I add to make sure you have a place to work on the car.  I've seen/heard people trying to work on their 510 out of an apt. complex parking lot, aint going to cut it.  You need a place - like a garage.  To get off on a good footing you should have these:  money - lots of it, place to work on your car, some mech. knowledge, good to have fab skills, resources like friends who kinow more than you, patience- cuz it will test you, a good soli car, that is not a rust bucket, unless of course you have good fab skills, time - you need a lot time, good tools, its okay not to have SNAP ONs, but not okay to use plyers when you need a wrench..., you need manuals, easy to get from amazon, Ebay or meets...

Good point about having a second car and may I add to make sure you have a place to work on the car.  I've seen/heard people trying to work on their 510 out of an apt. complex parking lot, aint going to cut it.  You need a place - like a garage.  To get off on a good footing you should have these:  money - lots of it, place to work on your car, some mech. knowledge, good to have fab skills, resources like friends who kinow more than you, patience- cuz it will test you, a good soli car, that is not a rust bucket, unless of course you have good fab skills, time - you need a lot time, good tools, its okay not to have SNAP ONs, but not okay to use plyers when you need a wrench..., you need manuals, easy to get from amazon, Ebay or meets...

You said it my man, when I got my firts dime I had it at my in laws house and he had no tools because he's not a car guy. I didn't have $ to keep up with maintenance or much knowledge at that time. This 2nd time around I have more knowledge and spendable money. I have tons of resources, and my buddy let's me keep it at his shop to work on it and he has a crazy amount of tools. It's crazy how much I can and have gotten done on my car now that my circumstances are better in a way. Just make sure your prepared to take on this task even if the car is in good condition you have to keep it that way

yep..just tryin to guide some noobs here..their heart is at the rightplace but not their mind.  This is what this forum is about.  I'm not saying I know all, I know some, as compared to other people who knows a lot.

yeah see thats the thing i know little to none about the five ten but my dads buddies from highschool have dyno shops and they know alot about these cars i want this car to be a daily driver ony like 6-10 miles a day maybe a little more with cruising it around i infact do have a second car its 65 vw bug i can pretty much take apart an engine and put it back together i started getting into cars with the vw but i thought why not bring back the og cars datsun, toyota, mazda those are the cars that are not burned out my friends garage where i keep my bug is a big garage and plenty of tools he only lives like twenty minutes from me so yeah i got most of the things i need to learn about a whole new type of car im the future generation i apreciate cars 

Think of Words like tuner, chipped, hella flush, turbo muffler and spoiler... Now Ban them from your vocabulary. Honestly I've never owned a car pre 1979 or anything fuel injected for that matter and have daily driven all of them. I strongly recommend leaving it stock because if something breaks or wears out just go to a scrap yard or pay some ratsuner 20 bucks for ____ part do the work yourself and be back on the road the next afternoon. I've gotten in over my head before with some projects but you can always find help somehow.

Would you rather call a tow truck or keep a roll of electrical tape some zip ties a coat hanger and jb weld in a small set of tools and always drive it home?

Now post pictures of the vw

Also can I ask why it's in a garage elsewhere?

rusty and rusty - at least you've had some experience working on VWs, that's aplus, yes it's also good to have friends that have the tools, makes life easier.  Difficult to diagnose car on line with others.  When you know people that knwos this stuff, this is a force multiplier..and if you are luck they don't mind helping you and showing you how...if they do take them out to dinner or sometin..but do reward them..time is money and money is time.

There's quit a few looking for a Datsun 510...Have you tried the 510 realm, Dime Quarterly, maybe NorCalUFO,  there's more, look at Bring a Trailer (BAT), Classic Trader, NICO site, Diffrent Craigslist city sites..Ebay (last thing - IMO)..Google Datsun clubs, sure you will find Datsun 510 somewhere.  Good luck...

There's quit a few looking for a Datsun 510...Have you tried the 510 realm, Dime Quarterly, maybe NorCalUFO,  there's more, look at Bring a Trailer (BAT), Classic Trader, NICO site, Diffrent Craigslist city sites..Ebay (last thing - IMO)..Google Datsun clubs, sure you will find Datsun 510 somewhere.  Good luck...

damn thats alot thanks for the tips  B)              :thumbup:  :rofl:  :thumbup:  :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :hyper: :hyper: :sweat: :excl:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.