A15 transmission swap

Help me!  :crying: 

I would like to know if anyone of you have swapped ANOTHER(like toyota or ford, or any other) transmission to A15 engine (datsun b310). Because now i have 4-speed transmission and i need 5-speed. I know there is 5-speed model for A15 engine, but I can't find any. So I try to search alternative solutions for my build. So if you know any success to swap another transmission than the original to this engine, please share your info!

(Sorry for rusty English)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Search CL ads on the west coast. Oregon and Washington sites mainly.

Lots of a-series 5 speeds have been popping up in cars and as parts.

Shipping it may be a pain though.

With the cost of shipping and the part-a swap may be more economical.

L or KA.

I have not heard of a different 5 speed bolting up to an A.

Shipping is my biggest problem, because I need to pay toll also, 23%  to the price... If someone is willing to sell 5-speed cheap, below $100, then i might buy it. Shipping is expensive too... But I wonder do they use same transmission frame with 4-speed and the 5-speed. If i could just change the parts inside? It would be handy :)

I dont think you will have much luck finding one for less than $3-$400 US dollars. Add shipping which is at least $300 and 23% and you have a very expensive transmission. It may be better to swap your rear diff gears for something a bit more appropriate to your needs, Looks like you are going turbo and I think you will need to change the diff out regardless due to your increase in power. Maybe a Subaru or Ute diff would fit the build better. Whats wrong with your four speed?

I'm kinda sad that this post doesn't have much suggestions. But if you even know websites that sells these original 5-speed trannys please link it here! :)

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/44103-a-series-60-series-5-speed/  post is old but....

I dont think you will have much luck finding one for less than $3-$400 US dollars. Add shipping which is at least $300 and 23% and you have a very expensive transmission. It may be better to swap your rear diff gears for something a bit more appropriate to your needs, Looks like you are going turbo and I think you will need to change the diff out regardless due to your increase in power. Maybe a Subaru or Ute diff would fit the build better. Whats wrong with your four speed?

If going turbo you may want a faster revving motor to get the turbo spooled at a lower speed.

I'm kinda sad that this post doesn't have much suggestions. But if you even know websites that sells these original 5-speed trannys please link it here! :)

Fact is that a dogleg 5 speed will be $250.00+, and a normal shift pattern A series 5 speeds are expensive, I had to buy a whole car to get one of them transmissions, the MG community is snagging the latter type up for there 5 speed conversions, they are kinda hard to find.

You can look into a more common 5 speed over there, and making an adapter plate to mount the transmission, but the starter mount is going to be the toughest thing to sort out.

Mmm, if I find 5-speed around $100-$250 i would be happy. And the shipping may cost a lot, or if i can get with container shipment, it would be cheaper. And I'm swapping the rear diff anyways, because i know the original can't handle much power. And why I'm not satisfied with my 4-speed is that i fear that i must use my engine at high rpm all the time with turbo. And if i can get that 5-speed tranny i would buy a sports clutch kit for it.

Fact is that a dogleg 5 speed will be $250.00+, and a normal shift pattern A series 5 speeds are expensive, I had to buy a whole car to get one of them transmissions, the MG community is snagging the latter type up for there 5 speed conversions, they are kinda hard to find.

You can look into a more common 5 speed over there, and making an adapter plate to mount the transmission, but the starter mount is going to be the toughest thing to sort out.

Mmm, that's why I think I'm still going with datsun 5-speed, because i would need to do some extra work and use more $ with other tranny that wont suit well. If I can find a good tranny, like T-50 5-speed from toyota and calculate the costs and compare witch one is better.

Searching from the web, i found celica/camry 5-speed tranny for $130 but not sure if it's front-wheel drive of rear... Some one help :D haha. And the super ++++++++++++++ side of this is, that it's here in Finland! So no postage cost's or what so ever (He lives in the same city too)

And if it's rear-wheel drive then it has the closest ratio to datsun tranny

1         2       3         4        5       R

w50 (Celica) 3.566 2.056 1.384 1.000 0.850 4.091

4       3        2        1        5        R

60A 5-speed A   1.000 1.378 2.170 3.513 0.821 3.764

Why is that the doglegs are costing less? Just curious.

I'm curious if datsun 4-speed tranny and 5-speed tranny are just the same but the fifth gear is forced by adding some gears. Anyone knows? And is there some sort of gear sets for datsun trannys anyways? And how could i calculate gear rations if i have to go with 4-speed but change the 3rd and 4th ratio so that they are bigger. Need knowledge :/

you should really weigh your options before you throw a ton of money into an a15,   fact is is that KA/CA motors swap into a b310 relatively easily,   i believe an s110 crossmember is a bolt in swap. also, the parts are more widely available.

you should really weigh your options before you throw a ton of money into an a15,   fact is is that KA/CA motors swap into a b310 relatively easily,   i believe an s110 crossmember is a bolt in swap. also, the parts are more widely available.

I have, i have only spent about 400 euros for my A15, "new" engine(60 000 km) would have cost like 1500 euros. So that was the main reason, maybe some day I will swap another engine to it. I will spend more money to megasquirt and turbocharger. You can follow my other topic to see what have i done to my engine so far :)

I'm curious if datsun 4-speed tranny and 5-speed tranny are just the same but the fifth gear is forced by adding some gears. Anyone knows? And is there some sort of gear sets for datsun trannys anyways? And how could i calculate gear rations if i have to go with 4-speed but change the 3rd and 4th ratio so that they are bigger. Need knowledge :/

Here's a handy little gif to show that a 4 speed does not have a 4th gear. Power is simply transmitted straight through the mainshaft and out the back. 

ATT000455.gif

A 5 speed has an overdrive gear behind the reverse gear. The bottom counter shaft gear is larger than the one on the mainshaft. Thus the mainshaft turns faster than the engine. Even a 5 speed has no 4th 'gear'

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...