First car! 1982 datsun 120y

centex120y

Well it seem i post more about the progress on this car than my son....anywho.....my boys fanally got around to making some gaskets and replacing the carb.. we also removed the rats nest of vac hoses and ports on the intake mani. After intsall they realised the throttle cable mounting tab is in the wrong position on the new carb.....so they called me and we decided to keep going and  connect the remaining vac lines, fuel and two wires for the idle control valve and choke and cranked.....no start.  I poured a couple drips of gas into the carb, cranked...engine roared to llife and died...great!!!. Kept cranking and tapped the check valve, saw the float chamber fill...primed it and cranked....ROAR!!!! the a 14 is alive again. It was running at about 12 to 15 hundread RPM so i messed with the wires again and the idle dropped, adjusted the air and idle screws...purrs like a kitten, silky smooth idle at around 800 RPM, throw it in drive and it drops to 750 RPM smooth, holds idle like a champ.....love it!

I have to make a clasp to hold the throttle cable in place now, it was driven about 3 months ago so we know the tranny shifts smooth, the brakes work good and the steering system functions. Items to finish include Finding and install the Ignition switch and lock assembly, front seat brackets, inspection and registration and of course the throttle cable clasp.

My boy will be getting his licence in a few weeks, and already has a part time job at the Formula 1 track which by the way is about 10 mins from my house :thumbup: so the car needs to be ready in the next few weeks. I would also like to share that he got accepted to University of Houston :thumbup:  where he wants to Major in Business, Im very blessed and extremely Proud of both my boys  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys...i got a sweet deal on a CA18DET at my shop a few weeks ago, i got the engine, tranny, wire harness, ecu and maf for $300.00. The motor runs good but needs a turbo and manifold, the previous owner tried to install an ebay mani and turbo but did not finish the job, the current owner brought the car(92 s13 coupe) to the shop and opted to swap the CA out and go with the SR instead. The car drove to the shop where i pulled the motor and i am currentely prepping to the SR install......anway i got the CA and i'm thinking about swapping it into the Datsun, we were planning a SR-VE hybrid later on with ITB's and a standalone ECU but this is way cheaper....some thoughts... feed back will be appreaciated....

The CA will be a blast in a 210. That's a steal on the swap. Not gonna lie, I'm very jelly right now, but good luck. Also, congratulations to your son for his acceptance into the university.

Personally I like the CA over anything SR because to me the engine looks more period correct. I'm not a huge performance freak, but the CA seems to have the perfect range and I've heard that up to the 250-300hp mark they will cost about the same to build as a SR.

That being said, the stock CA will probably put down more than enough power. Since you have to replace the turbo and manifold anyway, you can do a slight upragde here and end up better than stock. I don't know what the stock internals can handle, but approx 15% would get you close to 160-170hp and tq at the wheels. More than enough for a work and school shuttle bus :)

The stock internals will hold up to 350 with turbo, injector, maf and tuned ECU but 250 or around there is just fine for now......on to more good news i removed the POS turbo/mani combo and i got a better look at the head gasket....its a cometic MLS so i removed a valve cover and found ARP studs as well !!!!! The head looks to be fresh so i wll be putting a better mani and either a s14 or s15 T28 turbo..depends on price. I have a couple of good T25's at the shop but i'd rather the T28. 

You scored big. I hate you so much right now... Pics or it didn't happen (I just want to see the pretty CA again)

Ill have my son take some pics  and up load this weekend when we are at the shop....and yes i scored :thumbup: ....

Stuff like this happens alot..mainly due to me buying cars that aren't finished and have ton of nice parts...i get it cheap because they can't do it themselfs and it costs alot to pay someone to finish it, i also have a shop so there is always an avenue to trade parts/labor for parts. Most of the cars that come to my shop are failed engine swaps, bad wiring or bad/crappy runnings engines....People tend to get overwhelmed with things of this nature and want to limit the loss....

• 1 month later...

found this thread from craigslist. good luck with the sale. If I didn't already have enough project cars I'd get this, especially since I have a s110 h190 for it.

I have been looking for H190 for a while now...i see the cars in the junk yard but the diffs are usually missing....my son really wants to keep the car but space is very limited and with him starting College soon time and money as well. Hope fully someone will buy it and finish it soon, the car deserves it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Man I miss those seats. Same ones that I had in my 92 integra GSR. Comfy as :poop:

i agree they are comfortable and not hard seat to fab mounts to fitthe car, sits a tad high for me though but it fits my son..... i also mocked up s13 240sx front seats to check fitment, i must say they feel perfect with regards to height but they are not an easy fit at all, way more fab for mounts to fit the 210 mounting points.

Man this thing has been on again off again so many times....well this is the final decision..IT'S STAYING!!

It got a lot of interest...more that i expected but my son decided he wants to keep it...so we got ignition switch ordered and installed, New carpet from stock interiors arrived yesterday as well. We will be swapping out the prelude seats for a complete set of S13 240sx front and rear seats, replace brake pads and bleed the brakes and i will need some wheel spacers and the front wheels contact the tension rod at full lock. Pics will be forthcoming of the carpet install.

• 2 weeks later...

small update, we got the interior carpet ordered and it arrived about 2 week ago, been busy and i told my boys we need to wait untill the place heats up. The heat will help the carpet get supple and conform to the shape of the floor pan alot better, this in-turn makes trimming the carpet for fitment more accurate.  

IMG_20140310_193119_558.jpg

IMG_20140310_193104_284.jpg

IMG_20140310_193019_997.jpg