First car! 1982 datsun 120y

centex120y

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick update, ordered the rear qtr glass latches (one was broken) from a seller in Houston...parts came in quickly and great condition, just a little disappointed the the seller spray painted it black....

I also ordered the weather stripping for the doors from a Taiwanese company, i want to see quality and shipping time before i order more stuff....has anyone dealt with them in the past? they seem to be the only company that has NOS parts for the car, any feed back will be appreaciated.

well i know i should have introduced myself prior to posting..... so my apologies. i'm the OP'S Dad.

Datsun stuff gets sketchy on the islands. I talk to my old Puerto Rican neighbor once in a while and he tells me stories of datsuns no one ever heard about lol. 

Up date...i ordered the interior carpet and a dash cap hopefully they come in by mid next week as well as the weather stripping from Taiwan, after that i will be we will be putting in s13 240sx rear seats and i still need to figure out what front seat will look good, be comfortable as well as cheap.

Updates will be slow as this part of the project is being funded by the sale of new/ and used parts left over from various 240sx builds, My Boys  have posted on Craiglists. So far almost all the money spent came from these sales.  

just a note for anyone interested, we got some 93-95 honda prelude seats yesterday and test fitted them, they fit beautifully....with some modification ...we removed both prelude sliders, one is unbolted and the other needs to be ground off as the slider is side mounted and has the back rest "hinge" attached to it. We then installed the stock 210 sliders in to the car and checked the left -right Level,turns out the slder closer to the door is lower by about 1.5 inches.

The plan is to get 1/4" thick x 2" wide steel and span it from one slider to the other and use spacers to level it then bolt the prelude seats to it. we will post the pics as we go along to help with the visual aspect for reference.  

• 2 weeks later...

Well just to keep the thread alive/current we recieved the weather stripping for the doors after a 3week wait!!....the packaging was great and the rubbers are of quite good quality, it came with the little push clips as well. i ordered the one for the two door delivery wagon as i thought it would have the same doors, but while the seal fits good, its not perfect. The push clips are in the wrong places and the lip to secure it to the door is not quite in the correct location on the seal. The good news is with a little ingenuity we made it work. Using a soldering iron to make new holes we put the push clips in the right location to line up with the holes in the door. We have also been busy moving to a garage so we have not been giving any love to the 210. I will be ordering alot more NOS part from the Thai supplier as soon as cash is availible. I will ask my son to post the pics of the rubber seal install.  

• 5 months later...

Well guys, we have not done anything major for the last six months as funds and time were in short supply....My son did however start fitting the new carpet and seat in the car last week. The carpet was definitely not a good fit! so $75.00 down the drain, it was short on all sides and did not have the right contours to fit the floor pan. i called the seller and he wanted detailed pics showing the short commings of the carpet which i sent and his reply was " it looks fine to me" and "have you installed one before?". Well its not fine with me and yes i've installed carpet before in a few different cars. Any way you get what you pay for, i took a chance and it did not work out. I will have my son post up the pics with the crappy carpet fitment.

We will be using Honda prelude seats for the front and s13 240sx coupe seat for the rear...the prelude seats will need some brackets made to mate the seat to the stock 210 rails. We mocked up the seats and got the fitment centered, we need to finish welding the pieces together. The rear seats are a basic drop in and put some self tapping bolts to anchor the seat tabs to the body and its done. Fitment could not be closer if it was done from the factory...there is a small gap between the seat back and the side panel on either side but not too noticeable. I will have my boy post the pics to show fitment , we are very pleased with the result...all told we are $120 into all the seats, not too bad in my book.