First car! 1982 datsun 120y

centex120y

Hi ratsun community! I'm a 17 year old, from Texas, and before I get my license my dad, brother, and I will be working on fixing and getting a car ready. Today my dad, and I bought my first car, an '82 210. Under this thread, I will post pictures and updates on what is going on with the car for the next few months. So far the car is great. The body is almost perfect just a few dings here and there. At the moment nothing is in the interior except for the panels and seatbelts and steering wheel. The a15 motor is running and it came with both automatic and manual transmissions (right now the auto is hooked up, but the 5 speed tranny is in the trunk). Pictures coming as soon as I figure out this whole thing

• Like 1
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks like a fun little project. The only thing that bothers me would be all of the wires laying around. I like to try to keep wiring clean when possible because it can be such a headache if something rubs bare and shorts out.

As soon as I get the money up I will buy another wiring harness for my 620 to extend and hide all of my wire with the correct connections and wire colors.

Another thing, if you don't end up using that 5-speed I think that may be the one the euro roadsters use for their conversions. If so it is worth a decent bit of change, but you would have to check with someone like datzenmike to see if that is the right one.

Good luck with the car. Remember, take care of your Datsun and it will take care of you.

• Like 2

a few things:

first of all, i pulled that 5 speed and sold it to the PO.  youre welcome, lol. 

your car is not a 120y its a b310 or simply a 210.  120y's were only produced in foreign markets and had smaller motors

btw let me know if you need any A motor parts, ive got a bunch that im trying to get rid of

• Like 1
Another thing, if you don't end up using that 5-speed I think that may be the one the euro roadsters use for their conversions. If so it is worth a decent bit of change, but you would have to check with someone like datzenmike to see if that is the right one.

its not a dogleg

Thanks guys! Looking forward to doing this project. Today my brother and I cleaned up the interior and took out the front inner door seals. There's a lot of wires hanging around. There seems to be a lot of you guys interested in this tranny as well so I'm going to do some research on the a15 motor and transmission and keep you guys posted

a few things:

first of all, i pulled that 5 speed and sold it to the PO. youre welcome, lol.

your car is not a 120y its a b310 or simply a 210. 120y's were only produced in foreign markets and had smaller motors

btw let me know if you need any A motor parts, ive got a bunch that im trying to get rid of

The 12 in 120y means it has an A12 motor, this car would have been labeled 150y.

Kingbee...You are correct and wrong....meaning, In the Carribbean, where we hail from(Trinidad to be exact) the 120y did come with the a12 engine but it was also an option to get the car with the a14 and the a15. They were all called Datsun 120Y's regardless of the engine- tranny combo

Most of the cars came with the A15 and the 4 speed, 5 speeds and A/C were the rare items, very few were ordered with the automatic.

When used parts started coming in from Japan in the early 90's we got an influx of 5 speed trannys as well as complete cars and realized the magnitude of options availible with not just Nissans/Datsuns but all Japanese cars.

From the early 70's to the late 80's (1987 i think) All Japanese cars sold in the carribbean were actually assembled in Trinidad, they came as CKD units (completely Knocked Down) in large wooden crates and were assembled in huge assembly Plants, this applies for toyota and mitsubishi cars as well,  then delivered to the dealers. They were basic cars with not a lot of options save the engine/tranny combo, basic colors and a/c which was pricey.

As far as body styles for the "120y" were concerned we only go the 4 door ( alot), 5 door wagon (quite a few) and  the three door delivery van was a special order and costly(rare).

• Like 1
 Kingbee...You are correct and wrong....meaning, In the Carribbean, where we hail from(Trinidad to be exact) the 120y did come with the a12 engine but it was also an option to get the car with the a14 and the a15. They were all called Datsun 120Y's regardless of the engine- tranny combo

Most of the cars came with the A15 and the 4 speed, 5 speeds and A/C were the rare items, very few were ordered with the automatic.

When used parts started coming in from Japan in the early 90's we got an influx of 5 speed trannys as well as complete cars and realized the magnitude of options availible with not just Nissans/Datsuns but all Japanese cars.

From the early 70's to the late 80's (1987 i think) All Japanese cars sold in the carribbean were actually assembled in Trinidad, they came as CKD units (completely Knocked Down) in large wooden crates and were assembled in huge assembly Plants, this applies for toyota and mitsubishi cars as well,  then delivered to the dealers. They were basic cars with not a lot of options save the engine/tranny combo, basic colors and a/c which was pricey.

As far as body styles for the "120y" were concerned we only go the 4 door ( alot), 5 door wagon (quite a few) and  the three door delivery van was a special order and costly(rare).

cool, thanks for the insight.  the info i was gathering from was what i know of aussie sunnys