Repro 72 510 SSS Grille & Supersonic badges

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^ Hahaha. right!

Hating on repop parts and fake wheels.  Yet they run herra frush mad phat jdm non stock shit on their car.  Sorry fake grille isnt mad jdm enough, yo.. let me go put on my aftermarket dildos....

Id surely like to rock one, doubtful I could afford even a repop right now though :lol:

• Like 1

So the part turned out pretty good for my first go at it. I need to make some adjustments to the mold and my casting proses to give the piece a little more strength but all n all I think it should work. The stainless cross piece will have to be made the same way out of plastic and ether painted or the end user can look into having it plastic chromed. I could not fined anyone that was willing to take on making that part for less than it would cost to buy the whole factory grill. I have seen some really convincing chrome paints at the hobby store but it would have to be topped with some kind of clear enamel to hold up outside for long. Anyways here are some pics, the black is the original part and the white is the new one.

4641d2f7-3f6c-4440-a494-fdbae5c7f47b.jpg

3ee4e66f-6a9f-43c4-85ab-17005398af62.jpg

84117857-a8ab-4826-95b9-c75a94bca6d5.jpg

f04fa1ac-8368-4ab4-98cb-f85a7df81e7a.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

• Like 7

Nice work. I'm using the same resin from Tap. I've had good luck lately by embedding fine steel wire from steel wool into the thin cast parts, you can also use chopped fill material to improve strength.  Although, there are other better resins available. This resin also dyes quite well, and I've noticed the black parts seem to look better then the off white default color.

Also for thin parts, removing them while still slightly set (15-20) minutes sometimes works better, as they are more flexible and more likely to bend rather than break as removed from the mold. You do have to be careful not to distort them.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to see if that works for me, although off hand with a two part mold I'm not sure how I would get the reinforcement into it. the other problem I have with the Tap stuff is it cures to fast, with a part of this size I need something that will allows at least a few minutes for the mixing, poring & time for any bubbles to vent out before it starts to set. Not to mention it will have to have some heat resistance that close to the rad and in direct sunlight. I have some resin on order that should do the trick but its very hard when fully cured (after 10 days), which is good for shit flying at it but wont lend itself to much flex without breakage. I need to fab up a set cure it and run some R & D test to see if it holds up. Only time will tell.

Liking the progress so far! Thanks for taking this on... I recently got a bit silly on the eBays and bought a Supersonic grill badge. Unfortunately those things don't quite look right on anything but the "plastic" grill (IMO, of course). So I'd definitely be interested in a reproduction.

I would definitely buy one.  I don't give two shits if it's not original Nissan, I'm not spending north of $300 on a grille.  But I would spend up to $100 for a nice reproduction.

• Like 1

Ill take one probably if its south of 250. I like the sound of calling it an "aftermarket addition", it will help me sleep at night.

Keep up the good work, any idea of when a finished product will be up for grabs?

I got a couple more weeks to perfect the molds and fined the best resin to use and then I'm going to rock one on my car for a bit to make sure its going to hold up. I'm hoping to have some finished units done in time to take to Canby.

• Like 2

I got a couple more weeks to perfect the molds and fined the best resin to use and then I'm going to rock one on my car for a bit to make sure its going to hold up. I'm hoping to have some finished units done in time to take to Canby.

I have no intention of buying one but would really enjoy checking out what you end up making at the show... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a short update... I'm still working on this project, but its taking a bit longer than I thought. the metal bits are in pretty sad shape and are needing a lot of hammer and dolly work. If I could fined a good shape loner set to make a mold of it would really speed things up.  I think I have a line on an appropriate resin but its big $$$ and I need about a gallon per setup. I'm working with the distributor on a better price.

34aa0e04-07ad-4daa-b73f-8ad63a52c1c6.jpg

IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0726.jpg

• Like 7