#41 orangie

orangie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Cars:99 vette 402ci

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:40 PM

Found a solution for the gas tank.   Aeromotive came out with what they are calling a "Stealth" fuel system.  Put a 3.25 inch hole in the tank and it has a gasket that can seal up to a quarter inch of tank ribbing.  Just don't put the hole where I did if you want to use the stock sending unit and not have to notch one of the bed support rails.  Instead move the hole over to the next set of ribs. Don't take my advice as holy either.  Test fit before you cut!  Pull the sending unit all the way up (you can peep at it through the fill hole)  It moves quite a bit toward the center of the tank.  I misjudged the distance.

t4d0.jpg

g20q.jpg

#42 orangie

orangie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:26 AM

Most of the brake lines are in.  Just need to get the rears done.  The clutch line is the only one the runs over the top.  If you really wanted to clean up that area, it's just as easy to have routed that one down on the cross member.  I found this stuff from Fed Hill that uses a copper nickel blend for corrosion resistance.  This stuff is great to work with.  It double flares easy and is easy to bend.  I don't think I will ever use a stainless brake line again.  

qcsd.jpg

9my1.jpg

#43 orangie

orangie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:34 PM

The suspension is finally complete.  Every part has been modified at least slightly to get everything to fit.  I hope it all works when the car finally hits the road.  The original sway bar was cut and drilled so it may be a little stiffer than the original.  It made for a slightly offset mount to the lower control arm and without the tension rods it makes the lower control arm want to rotate.

I moved the control arms up independently to see how the sway bar will react and it looks okay, although the heim joints have a bit more angle than I would like.   

s41s.jpg

sthbl.jpg

#44 5t341tH

5t341tH

• PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Cars:78 620, 13 GenCoupe, 85 GS700e, 01 CBR600

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:14 PM

nice project you got going. can't wait to see the end result!

#45 southern620

southern620

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Cars:'77 620 '07 fusion

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:19 AM

The suspension is finally complete.  Every part has been modified at least slightly to get everything to fit.  I hope it all works when the car finally hits the road.  The original sway bar was cut and drilled so it may be a little stiffer than the original.  It made for a slightly offset mount to the lower control arm and without the tension rods it makes the lower control arm want to rotate.

I moved the control arms up independently to see how the sway bar will react and it looks okay, although the heim joints have a bit more angle than I would like.   

s41s.jpg

sthbl.jpg

this is a beutiful front end. all the modern niceness with a simple clean placement. good job on this great build

#46 PhatSami

PhatSami

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Cars:2012 Trail Teams Edition FJ Cruiser, 79 Datsun 620

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:18 AM

I'm loving this build and wanting to see more!  Could you please share more information on your steering setup?  Where did you get that amazing column?  Do you have part numbers for the rack and column?  I see you had the power steering box earlier in the build, but then decided to go with rack and pinion.  Was this just to make room for the swap, or is there a performance advantage to the rack and pinion?  This is my favorite build currently on here, please keep me updated!

#47 orangie

orangie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

The column is an Ididit tilt unit.  I like the column, but it has no provision for a column lock or a key.  I think a tilt unit from a 720 would have worked.  

The original plan was power steering, but I couldn't get the cross link the way I wanted it.  The droopy centerlink just looked sloppy so the only other steering option I could find was a custom rack and pinion.  This wasn't for performance, but you usually get more road feel with a rack and pinion.  There's no rubber mounting for the rack or any kind of rag link so I may get too much road feel and need to add a damping link.

This whole steering setup is only because I insist on having AC on this car.  That turbo setup takes up a lot of room in the engine bay.

#48 PhatSami

PhatSami

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Cars:2012 Trail Teams Edition FJ Cruiser, 79 Datsun 620

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about the ignition switch and turn signals. I bet some street rod site makes a lot for that column. I'm swapping an L67 from a Grand Prix GTP into mine so clearance is a concern.I'll be watching your build for ideas and inspiration.

#49 dscottdatsun

dscottdatsun

Hall Monitor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Cars:'70 510, '79 620 KC, '02 Pathy

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:17 AM

Nice build. I too would like to install a steering rack in a 620 for better feel and possibly use a power assist unit.

What is the purpose of the large spacers on the tie rod ends.

#50 orangie

orangie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:24 PM

Those aren't spacers. They are adapters from 9/16 thread to 5/8 and they are  a little short for my taste.   It's a rack built from a mustang  design hence the 9/16 thread.  It sounds like a common enough thread size until you go looking for hiem joints and find out they aren't made in 9/16.  I'm going to get longer adpaters.  I'm only grabbing a little over half an inch of thread. 

#51 ]2eDeYe

]2eDeYe

Bastard!

• User Administrator
  • 17,790 posts
  • Cars:78 620 KC, 77 620 KC, 72 CJ5, 04 G35 coupe mmmm

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:01 AM

Where did you source the rack? Price? 

Looks great under there :thumbup:

Smokin' Joe's House of Datto's

gJv38AY.jpg
Member- *Japanese Trucking Association*

**DATSUN FAQ** ~ If ya know it, post it ~ If ya don't know it, learn it ~

ratsun.net rising sun stickers                     ratsun business cards order thread

620 KA24 Motor Mount Swap Brackets

1977 620 KingCab Deluxe KA24DE Swap - Refresh and cleanup
1978 620 kingcab 4x4 - KA24E SAS w/Dana 44 front and Toyota rear

1967 RL411 Station Wagon

Whenever I think that I'm out of my mind for putting this much time and money into an old Datsun, all I have to do is look some of your threads to know that I'm not nearly as whack as you are.

You're going to skin a few knuckles, stand up too fast and bump your head, hunt around the floor for the nuts and bolts you dropped, invent a few new cuss words and when you're finished you'll say "That wasn't so hard after all!"

#52 thisismatt

thisismatt

Senior Damon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,558 posts
  • Cars:'71 521, '69 521 donor

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:12 AM

Those aren't spacers. They are adapters from 9/16 thread to 5/8 and they are  a little short for my taste.   It's a rack built from a mustang  design hence the 9/16 thread.  It sounds like a common enough thread size until you go looking for hiem joints and find out they aren't made in 9/16.  I'm going to get longer adpaters.  I'm only grabbing a little over half an inch of thread.

I think he meant the ones between the heim and steering knuckle.
I'm your huckleberry.

One jump ahead of the lawmen
That's all, and that's no joke
These guys don't appreciate I'm broke

#53 orangie

orangie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:54 PM

Oh those spacers.  It's for bump steer.  For now I just threw something in there that brought the heim about the same approximate height of the stock ball joint . 

As for the rack and pinion, it's a semi custom rack from Chris Alston's Chassis Works.  16 inches from knuckle center to knuckle center.  Not cheap.  It was about $560.  I looked into shortening the rack that came with the engine.  The car was an S-15 from japan so the steering was on the wrong side, but I think those cars have the steering in the back of the wheel instead of the front so it might have been possible to modify that one.  I don't think it's very hard to have a rack modified, but it will take a trip to a machine shop and it won't be a power rack.

#54 orangie

orangie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 05:33 PM

It's been a while since I worked on the truck.  Work got busy for a couple of months.  The rear frame is painted and the axle is being assembled.  It's a narrowed Dana 44.  Currently it has 4.30 gears in the back.  I'm thinking those are going to be a little to deep, but the nice thing is I can get gears for that thing if I want to change it.  

a8o5ve.jpg

1S4Ok0.jpg

#55 831Sunny

831Sunny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Cars:1200 Fastback

Posted 10 November 2014 - 03:42 PM

the 44 looks nice, but where did you get the tilt column

#56 orangie

orangie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:59 PM

Tilt column is an "Ididit" universal GM column.  You can get them from some of the bigger online speed shops.

#57 orangie

orangie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:52 PM

Hmmm......what to do.  The turbo is closer than I would like for the brake booster diaphram.  I'd imagine it can't take any duration of heat.  I can relocate the reservoir cups and do a heat shield, but It's still closer than I would like.

nmuu9E.jpg

ExtxbG.jpg

YtlMK3.jpg

#58 cruznude

cruznude

• PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Cars:79 king cab, ford ranger

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:58 PM

It's been a while since I worked on the truck.  Work got busy for a couple of months.  The rear frame is painted and the axle is being assembled.  It's a narrowed Dana 44.  Currently it has 4.30 gears in the back.  I'm thinking those are going to be a little to deep, but the nice thing is I can get gears for that thing if I want to change it.  

a8o5ve.jpg

1S4Ok0.jpg

#59 cruznude

cruznude

• PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Cars:79 king cab, ford ranger

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:00 PM

a8o5ve.jpg

1S4Ok0.jpg

this is such a sweet build.  I could never imagine and do what your doing. Looks so frickin bad!  Just so damm clean.....

#60 JoeCool

JoeCool

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,329 posts
  • Cars:1980 Datsun 720... SOLD. Now own a 2002 Nissan Frontier XE. Crew cab, 4x4

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:38 PM

Power steering? A/C? What are these luxuries you are talking about?

*"If it falls off, it doesn't matter!" Tom Magliozzi of Car Talk