Anyone recommend converting to electronic ignition?

XXL

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the following.

VW sandrail igniter/msd blaster (20+ yrs old and terribly abused)

73 Ford f250 igniter/ flamethrower

67 411sss igniter/ flamethrower

72 521 igniter in stock dist (Also 20+ yrs old) and one (igniter2) in Mallory dual point/ msd 6al w/ blaster2 

Glasply hardtop boat that I recently sold. igniter/ flamethrower.

Can anyone confirm this is the typical Hitachi distributor?  Pertronix says I should use their #40511 Flamethrower coil, and (I'm getting double confirmation from them) that should eliminate the external ballast resistor as it's 3 ohms internally resisted.

dist01.jpg

dist02.jpg

dist03.jpg

dist04.jpg

dist05.jpg

the kit is universal , im pretty certain . I bought one but thought parts looked cheezy. other may like

but Im going with the matchbox unit . I read that the post wayno found it sold me. beside oe stuff is always

better then a universal kit in my mind. The owner of that truck state he got a hotter spark then hes seen

with matchbox unit . :thumbup:

the kit is universal , im pretty certain .

Pertronix Tech Support says it's not, and wanted numbers off my distributor and/or photos to make sure I get the right parts.  The Hitachi distributor is VERY common with Datsun and other small motors, but NOT universal.

I installed the Pertronix stuff yesterday.  Installation took about 15 minutes.  A friend came over with his timing light today and we set the timing.  It runs great.  

A couple of small issues with the Pertronix kit--

The coil is much smaller diameter than the stock coil, so the bracket doesn't hold it properly.  I had to drill out the threaded part of the screw that pinches to coil, and use a bolt and nut, then curl down the clamp into a smaller diameter for the new coil.  This works fine for holding the coil, but only one of the two tabs now align with the firewall... so there's one screw holding the bracket in place.  It's solid, but not exactly "direct fit."  

And... the distributor conversion comes with a black plastic "cover" that apparently goes on the distributor after you install the induction ring and sensor.  Maybe it's a dust cover (??).  It's not mentioned in the (extremely crappy) directions that come with the kit... and it doesn't quite fit onto the distributor.  It wants to snap in place, but it won't quite stay on its own.  I tried to let the rotor trap it in place, but the rotor ended up rubbing on it as it spun, which created some loose plastic shavings that mucked up the underside of the cap.  I cleaned it off, blew out the plastic "dust," and left the dust cap thingie out for now.  I've got an email in to Pertronix tech support about it.  After setting the timing to 0° at 600rpm (per the factory spec), it runs great (it ran great before, but now I don't have to worry about degrading points).

Sorry, no pics... but there wasn't not much to take pictures of.