Is it ok if I leave an intro here?

I hope so!  I have been lurking on this website off and on for a couple of years now and decided it was about time I signed up.  What prompted me to sign up you may wonder, well,  I bought this....

100_4167.jpg

Hi, my name is Russell and I now own a 1972 Datsun 510 2 door.  I just brought it home to Orlando Florida this past Sunday (2/24/13).

Just so you know, I am not new to forums or cars or anything.  I am new to Datsun 510s though.  I have been into Nissan Sentras since I bought my first one in 1995.  A 1992 base model Sentra E.  If you must know, the "E" stands for "enough" as opposed to "equipped".  After many years I was able to turn that basic panda Sentra in to this;

512austinaloftlot.jpg

This green Sentra is currently taking up my garage undergoing another transformation.

I also had a 1996 200sx SE-R that I worked on a bit. 

100_0783-1.jpg

I ended up parting that one out.

At one time I had an interlude from the Nissans and bought a Toyota MR2 Spyder.

100_3164.jpg

I sold that one to a friend of mine and he has had a lot of fun autocrossing it!

In 2001 I bought a 1992 Sentra SE-R that I built into a race car.  I got my SCCA racing license in 2003 in this car.

100_2396.jpg

The logbook is current and I run it when I can ($$$$).  Unfortunately that is not as often as I would like.

So here I am learning about my new 510.  I have already found a tremendous amount of info from this community and I look forward to learning more.  I will be starting a thread in the project Datto section soon.

Thanks for checking me out!

• Like 5
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh gawd da yota! Kill it with fire!

Just kidding. Love the history there, nice looking projects and you look to be well versed in function > form.

That is a very nice looking 510, can't wait to see what you do with it (as long as its not a v8...)

Hi everyone!  Thanks for all of the great replies!  Here are a couple more pics of the 510

100_4168.jpg

100_4166.jpg

I will post more detailed pics in the project datto section soon.

It definitely needs some work.  The previous owner's son really screwed it up but the car is pretty solid so it should not be too hard to save.  I hope.  By the way, it is 12a powered. And it runs too!!!

100_4185.jpg

Plans call for a proper lowered suspension and a modern fuel injected 1.8L 4 cylinder engine.  Oh yeah, and a color change because I hate the current paint job!

100_4166.jpg

Deff needs to be lower. ZX struts and trimmed stock springs should remove 2-3" on the front while giving you a huge caliper and vented rotors. For the back find a Dodge Ram 50 truck. The front coils are cheap and when installed give a spring rate of 132 pounds per inch. Cutting them down to 5 1/2 coils gives 150 pounds. Lower and firmer, although there are many way to do this that cost more.

WTF? is with that exhaust?

Otherwise those cars were nice. Especially the 510!

Hahaha!!!  What? You don't like it?  The stock muffler was 27 lbs!  The stock cat and associated piping were another 15 lbs.  All of that hanging out behind the rear axle.  The exhaust in that picture weighed 10 lbs and that is with a small cat.  Plus, with all of the plastic bs removed you could see the engine and cool mechanical bits back there.  I was inspired by the sports racers from the 60s with their open rear bodywork.  That was a fun car to drive.  More room inside than a Miata or S2000.  Don't let the cutie-pie looks fool you, if you have the chance, take one for a spin.  Or don't.

Deff needs to be lower. ZX struts and trimmed stock springs should remove 2-3" on the front while giving you a huge caliper and vented rotors. For the back find a Dodge Ram 50 truck. The front coils are cheap and when installed give a spring rate of 132 pounds per inch. Cutting them down to 5 1/2 coils gives 150 pounds. Lower and firmer, although there are many way to do this that cost more.

Thank you thank you thank you!  I had read about the ZX struts already and saw something about some Dodge pickup springs but this post just gave me all of the info I need.  Just one question, are the springs on the Mitsubishi Mighty Max the same or did the Dodge 50 get specific springs?

Also, I left out a couple of cars that I have owned.  Keeping with the Nissan family of course

A 1988 Pulsar SE with the CA18DE engine.

Pulsar001.jpg

My wife HATED that car which is why I don't have it anymore!

The car I sold just before buying the 510 was a 1999 Sentra SE-L with a SR20VE in it.

100_4100.jpg

Thanks again for all of the great replies!  I really appreciate it.  You all seem like a great community here at ratsun.net!