Well its been a while since I've posted on here, but that's because I've been busy working on my 1200! I've got it on the road again and hope to prove it reliable enough for daily driver status soon! It still needs a bit of carb tuning, but its getting there.
So what I've gotten done in the last almost 2 months - wow its been that long? Seems like I haven't even owned this thing that long! Time fly's when you work on your Datsun. Well I finished painting my dash and got it back together. It turned out great, but it took so much longer to do that I thought it would. The white lettering, silver edging, and the color in the heater temperature was all done with model paint. The main color was Nissan precision grey by duplicolor, I think it matched the factory color good, but the old dash was so faded I'm not really sure.
I also painted my new ignition lock cylinder to match the colors of the factory one.
I got my valve cover back from powder coating (a long time ago). He wasn't able to do a two-tone (white letters) like I wanted because that would have required a custom mask and more cheddar than I was willing to shell out.
I got a fuel tank from Doug that was in pretty good shape, I had my buddy powder coat the outside, then spent an entire weekend doing a KBS fuel tank repair kit for the inside. It turned out OK, functional but not the best looking sealer. That was my fault though because I made the mistake of rotating it too late in the cure process and causing drips to form and stay. Still seals though!
I rebuilt my sending unit as well. I used parts from two of them to make one functioning one. Electrical contact cleaner worked great on the wiper and resistor. I scrubbed up most of the other parts in the parts washer, added a ground lug (since I knew it wouldn't grab ground the the powder coat) and painted the top cap. Works like new! I purchased a new o-ring for the sending unit as well. If anyone is wondering they are a 4mm cross section by 52mm ID o-ring. Somewhat standard as far as metric o-rings go. I ended up buying a pack of 25 so if someone needs one PM me and I'll send it for free. They seriously cost less than a postage stamp each.
With the new tank install, I replaced all of my rubber lines. FYI there is about 20 ft of 1/4" rubber fuel line in a coupe with EVAPO. That's a lot of tubing for a little car... I had to make a new fuel filler tube since the old one was shot and the molded hose was NLA. Two mandrel bends, a 90 degree and a 45 degree, out off 1.75" steel tubing, some 1.75" ID fuel filler hose purchased from the auto parts store, and some hose clamps did the trick. A 30 degree bend MIGHT have worked better, but the 45 did the trick. Tight fit.