Window regulator problems

JoeR

Thanks for tips about getting the crank handle off! BUT...the reason I wanted to take the door apart was to get to the regulator mechanism. For whatever reason, my window will not roll down anymore and I think something is jammed in the mech. I'd love to be able to get the regulator mech out to look at it. Is this possible without having to roll the window down or can it be in any posistion? In other words, what is the easiest way to remove the window mechanism?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there several screws that attatch the mech on the inside pannel of the door, remove those and cearfulyl slide the window down into the door.

there should be a couple of srews at the bottom of the window holding the glass to the slider device.

nice and easy cause the window makes a loud bang and then theres lots of small bits of glass every where, I know cause Ive done it :confused:

I just did this on mine last weekend, it's pretty straightforward:

1. Wind the window down so the glass sticks up about an inch out of the channel
  2. There are two plastic clips glued to the window, which screw onto the horizontal bar that moves the window up and down.  Unscrew these.
  3. Carefully lift the glass up and out of the door, tilting it toward the inner side of the door as you lift.
  4. Wind the regulator "up" so the bar is up inside the door, and remove the four screws around the crank and the others below and to the aft of the crank.
  5. Put one hand up in the door and hold the regulator, and push the crank stub in-- the whole mess can now be lowered and pulled out through the hole in the bottom of the door.

I took mine apart because the window would bang in the guide channel in the front of the door whenever I'd shut it-- classy.  So I got some Velcro tape, the fuzzy side, and stuck it along the channel on both sides.  Huge difference, the window goes up and down smoothly and the whole door feels more solid.

• 2 years later...