My First Datsun Resto - 1972 521

4perrev

One thing I forgot to add to the window replacement. Make sure you take out all the window seals before trying to put it back in. Even with them out, it is really tight in there. Couple sketchy moments where I thought the window might break, but going slow, it is doable. Don't want to try it again!

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
  • Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, she finally let me know that it was time to rework her guts. Had a knocking noise in the front end and found that the cam chain tensioner was suspected to be the issue. Once I took the front cover off, I found different:

This one was sideways across the cam chain.

aYWXw54.jpg

This other half was in the bottom of the oil pan.

YnBdyQS.jpg

Here are the remaining two bolts where it was attached:

IMG_1136_zps6y2r5udp.jpg

That being said, it led to this:

IMG_1150_zpsl2brnjve.jpg

Once inside, there wasn't any damage that I could see.

IMG_1152_zpssgsulzry.jpg

IMG_1154_zpsefjgkasx.jpg

I decided to just rebuild the engine anyways! Ordered all my parts from Rockauto and they showed up fast in 6 boxes. Not too bad a job. Replaced all the main and rod bearings, every seal possible, cam chain, guides, tensioner, cam sprocket, new water pump and did a clean valve job. Here's my crank, no pun intended here??!!

IMG_1155_zpsw3ec0oio.jpg

With all the goods out, I figured why not do the transmission input and output shaft seals, plus change the oil. Wow does gear oil smell crazy when it's old! The tranny seals were available, but the input gasket was not anywhere to be found. So, I just made a gasket and used some good RTV. The rear seal was easy to remove, but the tail shaft was long as hell. Kept turning and turning to get it out.

pOP2WRf.jpg

New Seal:

oNq1VoK.jpg

All in all, she runs much better and it was a good weekend to kill. Just gets me ready to work on the dime's L20B with mods!!

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 3

I took the nut off and had to use the puller to get the flange out. Big thanks to you Banzai for the engine video as I used it to time the cam back up when going together. That was awesome to see it as I did it!! :thumbup:  :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

hainz, I bolted the puller to the outside flange and used the center of the puller on the shaft. It was the only way to get the entire shaft out. Worked well, instead of beating the sh!t out of it.

• Like 2

On another note from my Ratsun hiatus, been busy as crap. Ordered all the parts and disc brake replacement kit from Mike at Blue Hands Inc to hook up the truck and put her into the 80's! Mike's parts showed up in two days. All the other Rockauto stuff is on the way. Hopefully have her good and rolling next week. I did get down to replacing my blue seats with black ones from a Dodge Neon today. Long day, so I didn't get any pictures yet, but will post some tomorrow.

• Like 2

Well, all the 7 boxes of parts showed up from Rockauto and I got started on the disc brake conversion. Man those old hubs were nasty inside. Grease had solidified into cheese! Cleaned em up, got the new bearing races in and painted the caliper brackets from Mike.

IMG_1357_zpsws1x7omu.jpg

Tomorrow (baring the weather) I will finally step into the 80's with brakes. Can't wait to be able to stop on time!!

• Like 2

Alright, finally got them brakes good. Now I can stop for real!! What a difference the discs make. Big thank to Mike for the goods and sweet videos! Everything bolted right up (except those crazy brake line keepers, pain in the a$$) and looks nice. The mags clear the calipers with ease. Couldn't be happier!! I know there are pics out there, but I figure that I have to post the goods!

nPYbfc9.jpg

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 3

I already have a 620 brake booster installed. I did buy a new master but haven't put it in. Might change it out if the old one works terrible, but if not, I'll save it for the Dime.

• Like 1

Here is a picture of the space between the caliper and rim:

image_zpsawncxha4.jpeg

Ok, I did after all change out the master cylinder because the old one was going on its own program. Nothing I hate more than bleeding brakes. Well, doing it twice!! When I did the first master, I did bend all new lines. Two reasons, they were nasty and completely in my way when I re did the engine bay. Plus, I already had the power brake assembly from a 620. Bending and swedging is not hard, but you gotta have the right flaring tool. I borrowed one from a friend who had a hydraulic one. Super nice, but over 2 bills for the whole thing. Here's the new master:

image_zpsyol5eikf.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So the old drive shaft was doing some vibrating at 50 MPH. Decided to get down and change out the U-joints. All 3 of them. The first 2 were not so bad, just a little void of grease. The third one was completely gone. Once the cap was pulled off, the bearings fell out along with metal shards. Glad I got in there before it really went bad. Did notice that the mid bearing is getting bad as well. Maybe get to that one soon! Just gotta get one!! Here's the picture of the carnage!

IMG_1374_zpsoavbslnf.jpg

Oh, that little guy? That's my air/oil separator. Fabricated out of PVC pipe, caps and plastic scrubber material inside. There is a drain on the bottom. I had made this a long while back for my GMC Duraslut, but never used it. So I decided to put it on the ol Datsun to see how well it works!!