My First Datsun Resto - 1972 521

4perrev

Holy crap, there is sun in Washington. Well, I took the opportunity to do a little work. Thought I would tackle the bed. Surprisingly enough, all 8 bolts came right out with no swearing or knuckle busting. Can't believe it! Here is the before and some work after it was off. Getting her ready for a nice POR 15 juicing.

photo-1_zpsa0632b9d.jpg

1aphoto_zpsa1e9b81c.jpg

Here is the frame and axle stuff. Not too bad, just light surface rust that will come right off.

2photo_zpse6f9c437.jpg

3photo_zps336339d4.jpg

And as an added bonus, here is the new painted dash. She shines up nice!

5a_zpsafbde96a.jpg

5b_zps92e0a80a.jpg

Now, I just need more time and sunlight. Both of which I have too little of!

• Like 1
  • Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I'll print off a few of those tonight. Gives me something fun to do at work :P

That resto work on the headlight bezels and heater looks great. Seeing the amount of detail work you are doing makes me want to try harder on my truck. Keep up the great work and make that head turner beautiful.

• Like 1
How did you get your heater parts so sparkly and new looking? 

I just sanded the crap out of them. Every nook and cranny (which is a lot). I don't have a sand blaster, so sandpaper works good, but it takes longer to complete. Wiped it off with thinner, primered, painted and then cleared it with a matte finish. The paint I used so far was Rustolium, but I would use actual car paint if you can get it. I'm trying to go thin on money to see how far I can get. I think I'm going to switch to Duplicolor paint because it is more durable. I used it on some YSR 50 rims and that stuff is stuck on there good. The outside of the truck will be painted in actual "real car paint" so it will stay beautiful. 

I tried to pull the hinge pins out of the flapper doors, but they were in for good, so I figured out how to spray all the insides as best I could. Actually, got every crease painted on the inside. Was amazed!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Another sunny day (for about 4 hours atleast). Well, decided to get in the gas tank. Here is the outside and all it's wonderful rust!

Dab4t68.jpg

Have you ever seen your fuel level gizmo and float? I'll show you mine if you haven't seen yours! It was a chore getting the top securing ring off. But, with a little WD-40 and some love from the hammer and brass push bar, it came off. Here it is:

RV7NbR5.jpg

Everything works as advertised. Checked it with a multi-meter and after 40 years, she's kickin' fine. Sealed her back up and installed the securing ring. Tank is all cleaned and primered. Will post pics of the final painted tank when the sun comes back out!! 😕

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I blasted the tank clean. Looks good, but I blasted the rust so well, I found two holes in the tank. Not good, but I had a friend weld up the two holes and we did a leak check. All turned out good. Got worried about the tank after I read the thread about a gas tank fire, so I just wanted to be sure. Better safe than sorry. Pictures to follow when I can get some paint on it!

• Like 2

once I pulled the tank, the pickup line from the fuel tank came loose. All the fittings on the tank are soldered on after the tank seams are welded. Over the years, the solder gets weak or you may just have a pin hole leak from the tank. The two holes a had were pinholes that we caught by pressurizing the tank and spraying soapy water on it.

• Like 2

My next step is to pour a bunch of sand in the tank and spin it around for a while to knock the rust off the inside. Getting the sand out my be a bit troublesome, but I figure I can wash it all out, dry it good and then seal it. Should work?!

• Like 1

Finally finished painting the gas tank today:

UU0cKc4.jpg

Was going to start doing the frame and axle with undercoating, but when I went to the store to get some Chassis Saver, it was $40. a quart. Holysh!t. I decided to go on line and find it cheaper. So, I ended up on Stock Wise Auto. Just bought a gallon for $99.03 with shipping and a promo code from Google. Should be here in a week, but that's ok cause I just saved 68 bucks!!

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 2

Happy Easter to all. Had some good times today and pulled the engine. Used a couple 4x4's and made an engine trellis to hang a come-along to. Not too bad as the engine wasn't that heavy, but still pretty easy pullin' her out.

photo-4_zps2fa1dd89.jpg

Engine was completely full of gunk and old pine needles?

photo-7_zps6593fb5a.jpg

photo-3_zps71885819.jpg

photo-5_zps920de1c9.jpg

Clutch needs a little de-rusting, but it wasn't too corroded.

photo-4_zps7c8bfec7.jpg

Cleaned it up for the most part. Made an engine stand with casters to get it around the garage for now. More pics tomorrow.

• Like 1

Well, now that the engines out, I had a chance to finally get to that ugly heater core box. That thing was nasty. Took the fan motor apart and cleaned it. Crazy little brush type fan motor. Gave a picture below.

photo-5_zps350ae7ad.jpg

Here's the motor:

AZPLQYv.jpg

And the finished box with paint and the fan:

KCtPMkO.jpg

xBbI9dQ.jpg

Side shot!

rMa42KM.jpg

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Decided to work on the engine bay today. Here is a couple pictures for the start:

EngineBay2_zpsf48bbdf6.jpg

EngineBay1_zpscf76453c.jpg

The bumper was really rusted behind, but the chrome on the front looks decent, so I painted the back. Never going to see it and had to stop the rust!

Mrdwxjz.jpg

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Split the cab and the frame this weekend. Again, amazingly enough, all the cab bolts came out without a big hassle. Although rusty inside the spacers, they weren't too bad, but will replace them when the cab goes back on. Made a nice stand for the cab with loads of room underneath to fix my cancer hole in the passangers floor board.

CabBack_zps03c6aa56.jpg

CabSide_zps4ecc8e07.jpg

Here's the frame:

ChassisFromRear_zpsa6106358.jpg

ChassisFromFront_zps610e0b81.jpg

ChassisSideFront_zps30a70709.jpg

ChassisSideBack_zpsce3011f7.jpg

ChassisSideMiddle_zpse470e788.jpg

And the frame number:

FrameNumber_zps61b9633b.jpg

Have coated the frame with Chassis Saver and will post more pics once the coating is completed!

• Like 1

So I went through the steering box and I have a crushed bearing. I listed a wanted ad on the classified, but any help would to find one would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

So let me first start with the fact that I've never welded before. My friend lent me his Lincoln, so I just jumped in feet first. The guy who owned the truck before I got it drilled giant screws in the kick panels for speakers and there were big holes that I didn't want to deal with water coming through when it's raining. Here is the first try with lap welding. Pre weld:

FenderWellPre_zps87d8a835.jpg

Post Weld:

FenderWellPost_zps6560b860.jpg

I didn't want to sand it down completely just incase I didn't get it all perfect. But it's the fender well, right? Critiques please!

• Like 1

Went and did a little scouting today to find some new parts. Found a new heart for the truck. Thought I'd swap out the old fuse box with something more up to date and water proof under the hood. Kept it in the Datsun/Nissan family. Here's a couple of the goodies:

ZYfKL16.jpg

0CeEnnr.jpg

L20BLeftSide_zpsd863f457.jpg

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 1